Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old roses in chester county?

Posted by ajpa z6 se PA (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 26, 09 at 10:36

I wonder if anyone has recs for a nursery/garden that has old China rose near the chester county/valley forge area?
I'm hoping to plant an Old Blush this spring, and I'd like to get it locally if possible (you know, buy local).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old roses in chester county?

It is really unusual to find old garden roses at local nurseries. I have tried for years. Occasionally a few pop up at higher end nurseries. Sometimes you can catch them at Home Depot but I'm not sure of the quality then. OGRs are more available in the southern states. Did you have any luck with Waterloo Gardens?

o

What's an old garden rose? How does it differ from a regular rose?

o

OGR are much more disease-resistant, easier to grow and tolerate winters better than today's hybrids. If you are really interested in learning more about them check out the Antique Rose Forum here at GW. I have learned quite a bit just from reading posts over there.
Several online sites have OGR's available for mail order. I have orders in a two different ones I saw recommended by the people at the Antique Rose Forum.
Usually regulars of the forums here are "in the know" of the best places to get plants. So, if I want to get hostas, I check out what the people at the Hosta forum have to say about vendors. Roses - the Rose forums, etc. I have never been dissappointed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique Rose Forum

o

• Posted by ajpa z6 se PA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 3, 09 at 13:04

Hi Carol. Waterloo doesn't have them, sadly. I will do a bit more calling around. If I don't find it I think I'll try Roses Unlimited.

o

Roses Unlimited and Ashdown Roses are great resources for OGR in the Eastern US. Chamblees and Antique Rose Emporium are other good suppliers but the shipping costs starts to add up. Another option is Pickering in Canada; they have a good selection but they send bareroots which isn't a bad thing if you are a little patient.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here