Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greyandamy

way overloaded with plants-ill

greyandamy
13 years ago

I used to be an avid avid gardener for many years. I've been extremely ill with lupus. My energy and many other things have been affected. This year I have 45 plants growing strongly (despite neglect) in the basement! (as I had no energy to get them in the ground, nor space. I have plants in the garden so packed that come spring they'll be choking each other. The only thing I can think of is a major plant sale in the spring, some of these plants are considered "harder to find" or rare. But the energy, it overwhelms me. I can't just "get rid of" plants, that were my pride and joy. I'd love to join a "master gardeners club" or something, that has plant sales. But currently I'm housebound. Does anyone have any ideas? It's so, so overwhelming (and shouldn't be)... but I have too many plants. Do you think they'd sell (reasonable price?)? Is it "legal" to have a plant sale if you're not in nursery business. Again, it's so overwhelming and exhausting for me. Thanks for any advice.

amy

Comments (18)

• livsauntieshel
    13 years ago

I think that as long as you call it a yard sale and get a permit (or whatever your township requires) you can basically sell whatever. One suggestion, if you can't manage the work yourself I'd contact your local garden club. They may come do the work if say, you gave them some of the divisions. They might even do it as a community service, since you're ill. I think when most garden clubs have plant sales they are for charity or funding for their group, not profiting the members directly. If you have no luck with a garden club, contact a nursery in your area, see if they'd do the work and pay you for the divisions, especially if your plants are rare. Might not get as much as you could selling individual plants retail, but you'd get something out of it, and the work done. Just an idea. I probably would avoid landscape companies unless they have garden maintenance background, you could end up with a lot of dead plants.

• stimpy926
    13 years ago

Hi greyandamy, where are you located?

• ajourni
    13 years ago

Excuse my popping in out of Lurkdom, but have you considered trying to sell them on Craigslist? Possibly even Ebay?

• greyandamy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks SO MUCH everyone, for ideas. Brain's a bit fuzzy, but I'll try to respond to each.First, THANK YOU livsauntieshel, I never even thought of that. I'd be happy to give away some for help. A great thought (plants are slowly taking over house, even those that should've died from neglect aren't. I don't understand it!

Second question, I'm just north of Pittsburgh.

Third, I APPRECIATE pop-ups from lurkers (!!)..I did try craigs list last summer-fall (between chemo, ups and downs). I did have some luck. othertimes, I got some really goofy (occasionally spooky), occasionally strange people. I offered such descriptive items online, but not many like to read. Then I got people coming here for "free plants" with shovels??? And those who came with $3 and wanted everything, and those who stole. It was kinda hard. But that's an option.

I looked in garage today, at plants literally thrown in there and not touched. THe "tenders" that should've frozen are fine. The tulips are sprouting (these special fragrant guys), the roses are beginning to go nuts. I just looked, the dutch iris are healthy as can be (And there's so little light in there!). A huge rosemary plant that should've died from cold is doing too well. Geraniums, thriving, despite no water. I walked around in a daze..

I pray by "spring" I'll have a bit more energy, to tackle this more. But we don't know...

There's (I don't know how many) "planted pots" in yards from friends. There's now 22 plants up here with me in my "computer room" and now 5 downstairs. Add to basement, add to yard. THANKS everyone, just so overwhelming...

• Triott
    13 years ago

Hi. Off topic but being you were an avid gardener have you looked into you may have Lyme Disease instead of Lupus? Lyme Disease is sometimes misdiagnosed as Lupus (among other things). Just wondering.

• greyandamy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, they did extensive lyme disease testing. and all testing, for long time. It's just treatment resistant lupus, i've had a 4 year intense med. workup to rule out everything. Plants still make me smile, there's just too much... ANd the sun, I can't tolerate it anymore...

• Triott
    13 years ago

Well I�m sorry to hear that. I know how you must feel, not being able to get out into the garden.

As someone suggested, maybe local garden clubs could help. I know last year the Pittsburgh Iris and Daylily Society went to someone�s garden to help remove daylilies from their garden which they sold as a fund raiser. What types of plants do you have in your garden?

• rosemctier
    13 years ago

i live a little south of pittsburgh and would be happy to come help you sort it all out. my daughter's basketball season is over (yay!) so my time is a little more open than it was a few days ago. let me know if you're interested and we can try and schedule something.
    good luck!

• greyandamy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

THANKS last 2 posters. Trying to get energy... As for what types of plants I have, too many too list. IT used to be like a magazine. Literally. Many special ordered, or 3-4 season interest. AS I'm on SSD now, I can't just give them away (unless friends/family)... last year my water bill for summer was outrageuos.

It's "easier" I suppose in that so many are potted, either in ground, or garage, or house.. And most labeled, from last year. With long descrriptions saved online.

I tell myself it's still only mid-Feb. Awhile to go. Maybe I'll feel more energetic, but plan for plant sale early May. rosemctier ,THANKS. I'd pay you, I'll keep in touch.

Maybe we'll all have more energy when spring comes? Too much winter sowing i did in past.

• Triott
    13 years ago

I�m not sure what you want help doing? Did you need help splitting your plants, cleaning up your garden, potting up plants to sell them or just sell the plants that are potted?

• rosemctier
    13 years ago

just let me know :) i am happy to help. best probably to zap me an email as i check it most often

• greyandamy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

triott, i didn't want to leave you hanging. My life is nuts right now, I learned I'll need chemo again soon. In past month lupus has become much more active. Major drugs upped... BUT THATS NOT THE POINT. TO answer your question, mostly selling, But that will have to be still a bit later.My brains just fried kinda, but maybe craigs list will have to do, as I can make it 1:1. Later...Yes, help with other stuff you mentioned, but that's not something I expect from anyone... Thanks for asking/helping.

SMILE, when I was putting in all these gardens years ago, a neighbor warned me, said you'll get old someday and it's not easy. I'm still very young, I thought "never!"... guess you never know... But it and my dogs keep me going...I'll always be a plant nut...

• Triott
    13 years ago

Sorry to hear your lupus is more active. I also know that chemo can take all your strength away along with lupus. Probably best to put your health first. Maybe if you get your strength back you can get into shade gardening.

• soccergirl3183
    13 years ago

Sorry to hear about your illness... I know that's pitiful, but I never know what to say about such things.

So hopefully I can add something useful in other ways:

Have you tried posting the information on the plant trade forum? I know traditionally they don't approve of selling plants, but even if you listed the items you were going to post in CraigsList or Ebay on there just to get the information out perhaps they'd allow that and that would get you more exposure? I joined the forum last week so forgive me if that sounds naive.

Ebay and CraigsList are always good options for mass attention, but I have found a lot of hacks are on there... not surprising you had people show up with shovels in mercenary fashion - so rude. However, one thing I will say about posting this way is even with great descriptions, pictures will get you MUCH more traffic on the listing if you have them available.

Another idea is you could see if one of the local nurseries around your area would be interested in buying the plants from you. They should be stocking up for spring now if they haven't already started, and healthy, native already adapted plants, even if they don't want to sell them themselves, a lot of them make wonderful displays around the nursery which might really up the ante for well developed and adapted plants. Plus, then you'd know your beloved plants would be going to someone who can probably be trusted to keep them alive.

I'm not sure what all you grow, but you could also try individual plant societies if the general garden club doesn't work out. I know the Iris Society does sales and functions quite often.

I'm a little far away, but if you'd like help with listing your plants I'd be happy to lend a hand. Just let me know.

Best Wishes!

• pinwheel
    13 years ago

You could contact the Vincentian Sisters of Charity based in Pittsburgh (now part of the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth, based in Kentucky). This order allows their sisters to participate in a variety of interesting projects, and there may be a sister or two who would be willing to help you meet your objective.

http://www.scnfamily.org/vsc/

Here is a link that might be useful: Vincentian Sisters of Charity

• greyandamy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

THANKS EVERYONE!!! I've tried the church in past for other reasons (I'm catholic), experience wasn't greatest. Plus I currently can't direct others well, so that's not helpful to them...

I know from past if local nurseries purchase, I believe that gets into "wholesale" which requires money, a license, etc as they must know they are disease free... I believe...

I'm afraid of plant trade b/c I don't think it's ethical and I don't have energy, ability to pack up and ship (can't drive to PO), plus so many have such large roots!)

Never heard of individual societies such as iris, daylilly, etc.. so that was great to know...

I just tell myself everyday there's still time, as I wait... maybe I'll get a bit better? Wierd to watch SO MUCH breaking dormancy now, things I forgot about... I still research them all, in bed... it makes me happy to plan...

As to what I grow, again I smile sadly, a bit of everything it sometimes seems, but more unusual things also. What's still in pots, things like peonies, hibiscus (hardy), pink babies breath, TONS of ready to bloom mini roses, reblooming iries, more... variegated heliopsis, Loraine sunshine, toad lillies, corydalis blue panda, abelia mardi gras, etc etc..

THANKS EVERYONE!!! I know its not the usual subject...

• mommapea
    13 years ago

I'm not sure exactly where you live (I live in New Brighton which is NW of Pittsburgh), but if close enough maybe I could help. You may also think about Youth Groups from local churches in your area or other groups like Girl/Boy Scouts, Nat'l Jr. Honor Society, Lions Clubs, etc. that look for ways to do community service to those in need. And with your illness and lack of energy to tackle this big project, I'd say you qualify.

• October_Gardens
    12 years ago

Amy, hope all's still well.

Consider your post an ad! Could you make a item/price list for the potted stuff you last mentioned? I'm in Verona and have a 10x40' empty bed to fill. Always looking for stuff like the Peonies, Hibiscus and all kinds of other hardy perennials. Most should be at full height by now and the hibiscus should just be sprouting. I have a 5-door sedan so certainly wouldn't want more than I could get in one trip.

A tip for selling - just charge for what you think the service of providing people with the plants is worth, which would probably be half or less of what a nursery would charge retail. Someone with a small car would expect to fill it for about $100, truck $200, etc..

Sponsored