Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boonus_gw

Trumpet vine

boonus
18 years ago

I have an unsightly wooden fence that seperates my property and my neighbors. I've been trying to grow Ivy and even Clematis to cover it, but it's taking way to long to achieve anything. The fence is actually wooden posts about 4 feet apart with wire attached to the posts and grown trees attached to some of the posts. Am now thinking of planting Trumpet Vine. Any thoughts/ideas? Thx.

Comments (10)

• Mike Larkin
    18 years ago

Help us out a little - please describe the conditions, soil, sun. I can assume that if there are tree, the soil may be not too fertile, and possible some shade.

• Pipersville_Carol
    18 years ago

Agreed, more info please. Sun and moisture will make a big difference.

Trumpet vine takes time to establish, too. Have you tried annual vines, while waiting for the perennial vines to get big enough?

• boonus
    Original Author
    18 years ago

While I've never taken soil tests, here's some plants that are thriving on the other side. Rose bush, Ivy. The area where I want to plant gets full sun. Where the trees are, is in the shaded area and there is ivy growing there, which I plan to keep. The area I want to plant Trumpet vine is open.

• zeffyrose
    18 years ago

Hummingbirds love the Trumpet Vine-----Hyacinth Bean Vine a nice annual to cover the spot until the Trumpet Vine is established.

Florence/zeffyrose

• annld
    18 years ago

I have something very similar to a trumpet -- a Mandarin honeysuckle. I planted it 3 or 4 years ago, and it has proven to be very hardy and very aggressive. I have never cut it back and it is taking over the planet (but that's what I wanted it to do). The blooms are beautiful, and I haven't had any problems with the plant.

Ann

• geoforce
    18 years ago

Contrary to popular belief, trumpet vine is not happy everywhere. I have been trying to get one of the Campsis grandiflora cultivars ("Morning Calm") to grow for about 5 years now, and it still is only about a single 10 foot long leader. I have had similar trouble with the yellow form of C. radicans. Not sure if it's my very acid soil, or the fact that the drainage is very good, and they need a lot more water, but I'm still trying.

George

• suebo
    18 years ago

Hi,
    I have some red and purple Hyacinth Bean Vine seeds if you would like some. I also some some Red Cypress Hummingbird vine seeds too.
    Thanks,
    Susan

• susiebuckhouse
    18 years ago

I too have to live with an ugly fence. I planted a trumpet vine about 4 years ago, and finally it is taking off. The soil is rather poor, but the plant gets sun all afternoon. Last summer it bloomed all the way until the hard frost. Hummers love it, as do I.

• carolyn18810
    18 years ago

We put up a stockade fence a couple of years ago and found myself with the same situation. I plant my dinnerplate dahlias against the fence and have found them to take the 'nakedness' off the fence. I also have clematis, a climbing rose, wisteria and trumpet vine along the fence to give it some verticle interest. I thought this year, I'd add some pacific giant delphinums.

Carolyn

• mindee
    18 years ago

I consider trumpet vine like a relative that just WON'T ever leave. No matter what you say,what you spray on it, it just stays put. I hate the stuff personally(only because I'm battling getting rid of one myself).
    Have you ever considered planting grapes on the fence?? Leaves are a WHOLE lot larger and will cover more area.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH