Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buckeyefan_gw

Strawberry plants- do they attract snakes?

buckeyefan
17 years ago

I have always heard that blueberry bushes attract snakes, but my dad told me the other day that when he had planted strawberries when I was little, we got lots of snakes in the yard from them.

I now live in a pretty rural area; I am in town, so I don't see snakes normally. That being said, I have a huge fear (albeit irrational!) of snakes- if I see one in the garden, I don't know what I would do, but it would take me a lot to get back in there, lol.

I wanted to try strawberries this year for the first time, but after hearing this, I am not so sure- has anyone else had experience with this??? Thanks!

Comments (11)

• wolfe15136
    17 years ago

I would think that anything that attracts mice would attract snakes. So, strawberries, blueberries and birdfeeders would all qualify.

• caliloo
    17 years ago

I agree with wolfe. If you ahve a friendly habitat, then snakes will come.

I have the same irrational fear that you do and have changed many of my beds from cozy cheek to jowl cottage type borders to spacing plants much further apart and mulching. It may not be discouraging the snakes, but at least there is a good chance I will see one before I am too close. SHUDDER!

If I were going to plant strawberries, I would put them in one of those hanging bag things I think. Keep them off the ground so something slithery can't hide underneath.

Here is a link that might be useful: strawberry bags

• paulemar
    17 years ago

Forget about the snakes--grow your strawberries. If you "don't see snakes normally" you won't suddenly see them becaues you plant strawberries. I've got strawberries AND snakes but have never seen a snake in relation to the strawberries. A bigger problem with the strawberries will be slugs, birds and mold.

Paul

• ladyslppr
    17 years ago

I think your Dad's experience with snakes in strawberries was purely coincidence - perhaps for some reason snakes became more common in your yard the year the strawberries were planted (for example, maybe a nest of snakes hatched nearby that year) There is no reason that strawberries should attract snakes any more than any other ground cover. Same goes for blueberry bushes. Snakes do not eat fruit, so the fruit wouldn't attract them. Strawberries might be better snake habitat than a lawn or bare ground, but no better than a perennial garden or a vegetable garden during summer. I've never seen a garden where snakes were very common, and it is quite rare that you'd have a dangerous snake in your garden even once. The vast majority of reported "rattlesnakes" copperheads" or "cottonmouths" are in fact harmless species of snakes, and I think the vast majority of "snake sightings" are actually rodents or moles scurrying through the grass. This might not be much comfort...

• bulldinkie
    17 years ago

I have strawberry plants, Ive never seen any snakes.

• nick_17815_pa
    17 years ago

Snakes attracted by certain plants....yeah I don't quite thing so. I do see some logic in what others have already said. If you have an open area and then plant a garden. If there are snakes in the area they would tend to go toward the garden instead of out in the open.
    Plus I just moved a lot of strawberry plants this afternoon, no snakes hiding under them :op

• foxglove_pa
    17 years ago

Well I feel that someone needs to speak up on the fact that snakes in your garden are beneficial! Most of the snakes in PA are harmless (ie non-poisonous), and do a great job of eating rodents and other pests that will do your garden harm (or move into your house!). And they are as afraid of you as you are of them, so chances are you won't see them. I try to attact any beneficial creature to my garden as I can.

• westhighlandblue
    17 years ago

I agree, Foxglove. When I see a snake in my garden I take it as a sign that I have created an Eden-like environment.

• PRO
    Kestrel Shutters & Doors
    16 years ago

Growing up my parents would buy 200 strawberry plants every 4 years and rotate the fields. I spent many a summer hours picking those strawberries and I can say that I never saw a single snake in them. We did have snakes that we'd see from time to time in other gardens but mostly the flower beds or just cruising across the grass. But never, ever in a strawberry field.

Pheasants...yes! Snakes...no.

Jim

• mkulimabora06_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

i have planted 3000 plants in greenhouse made of shade net,as i was weeding i met two snakes relaxing then 30 minutes later i saw another snake looking for an entry in the same house.i was shocked.i killed all of them.....what should i do

• pagirlmint
    12 years ago

Strawberries themselves won't attract snakes, but like wolfe15136 said the will attract mice, which will attract snakes. If you are truly terrified of them I would put some screen netting around the bottom of the garden fence, it might not stop them but it will slow them down!

Sponsored