Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chescobob

Terraces of Chescobob

chescobob
18 years ago

Below is a photo of the back of the house when it was being built. You can get an idea of the hill.

{{gwi:1107508}}

The next photo was taken last year just after I stained the walls. It shows the two right side terraces. The one you easily see is 100' and there is one above it that is about 45'. Note the deck on the house to the left. Below this large terrace, there are now gardens that stretch for about 150' with about 50 shrubs layered in 3 different levels.

{{gwi:1107510}}

Next, I had a 60' terrace built. Here it is from last March after I planted roses on its edge. Note how the "terraced" ground is nearly level. You can see the terraces on the right in the backbround.

{{gwi:1107511}}

Below is a photo of that terrace with the roses last Summer and grass planted. It is now a useable area. Before it was terraced, it could not be used at all. There are also gardens against the house leading down to the steps of the deck that you cannot see. They include 3 Mountain Lauren Keepsake, azaleas, hostas, and some minor plants. Last Fall, I planted 7 Girard Crimson azaleas and 6 Wine and Roses Weigela below the terrace.

{{gwi:1107512}}

Now, back to the right side terraces and a photo I took yesterday as it started snowing. I will describe what you see below.

{{gwi:1107513}}

You are looking at three levels. The top, and what appears nearest as you look, is the upper right terrace. These terraces had left angles for added strength and for plantings. On top, you see two Pencil Hollies at two of the angles. You can see the wood of the upper terrace next to them. Below that is the completed and filled lower terrace (the 100' one). First you see three bushes--they are Girard Fuschia azaleas. Then there is grass on the lower terrace for walking and some corner planting areas. In the planting areas are Chesapeake Hollies. Again, you can see the outline of the wood from the lower terrace in angles. If you look carefully, you will see another planting area beneath the lower terrace. That is filled with Edward Goucher Abelias, Mountain Fire Andromeda, and more hollies. There are also flowering shrubs that you cannot see. Below is a photo of the new steps to the right of the two terraces that you saw. These steps lead to the lower yard. Notice a new terrace to its right.

{{gwi:1107514}}

Finally, here is one of the newest terraces to the far left of the deck--if you looked from the woods. This terrace is below the one with the roses on it. I will fill it this Summer. There is one more terrace--to the right of the new one--that I will fill and plant the new roses in this March.

{{gwi:1107515}}

To the left of the new terrace in the above picture and to the right of the steps, I will fill with flowering shrubs, etc., this Summer. To the right of the new terrace, I will also plant shrubs, etc.

All in all there is nearly 300' of terrace and about 40' of steps. There are about 500 pounds of nails in the terraces and steps. It is quite a project and I hope to finish this Summer but there is still a lot to do.

The terraces and steps cost about $20,000 and were installed by a landscaper. I buy the shrubs on sale--if I can--and plant them myself to hold down the costs. At times last Summer, I had about 25 shrubs waiting to be planted. There will be 43 roses bushes--at least--and between 150 to 200 major shrubs around the terraces and steps.

What started as a hill that could not be used is now several levels of terraces, grassy areas, gardens, etc. I can walk up and down now from the lowest level to the highest. Also, I can walk around the house on several different levels.

Comments (6)

• zeffyrose
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm absolutely enthralled----my jaw has dropped to the floor. What a magnificent job.

My son is a Lanscape Architect and he builds walls so I'm familiar with this type of work.

I can just see all your beautiful roses in bloom and your lovely shrubs--great assortment.

Is your lady friend a gardener---I sure hope so because she is moving into a dream palace.

BTW---my son has a Perennial Farm in Yardley with a nice assortment of unusual plants.

You can visit his website.

www.stonyhillperennial.com---

Please let me know when you have your first house and garden tour.

Are you planting any roses that will tumble down the walls?

Breathlessly awaiting pictures of your garden in bloom.

Florence

• chescobob
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Florence:

Here is the main garden with about 20 of the roses in their first Summer.

{{gwi:1107516}}

At the end of this garden, there is the final terrace. It is 11' by 18' and will have about 6 roses. The other four that I bought this year will be to the right of the main garden.

The photo below from last March shows the main rose garden from the back (when it was first planted) and the terrace with roses in the background. The new rose terrace is to the right of the main garden. I wanted to surround the parking area with fragrant roses.

{{gwi:1107517}}

My future bride will help me with the gardens.

I will look over your son's site.

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

bob

absolutely magnificient and what time consuming and backbreaking, but most importantly - REWARDING - project. great way to take otherwise impossible land and turn it into something so wonderful. i should hope after all that, you reap the reward of all of your hard work and marry in your garden.

florence, i've been there, i'll be there again! nice place.

maryanne

• chescobob
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I forgot to mention the first visit of the landscaper. He was here in September 2004. As I was explaining what I wanted, I began to fall down the hill. I tried to outrun the fall but lost my footing and started somersaulting down the hill.

To mow it, I had to drive my tractor up the hill and carefully back down it. It was scary but I won't have to do it again.

• gillian_
    18 years ago

Wow Bob, I am really impressed. My hillside is not quite that extensive but probably as steep. Thanks so much for posting the pictures...please post again with everything in bloom, I'll bet it is breathtaking!
    The reason I plan to use stone instead of lumber is cost. I can collect the stone for free from two different sources. One being a friend who has loads of it pulled out of lots they are trying to develop. Thank goodness my husband drives a truck with a good size bed! Now I just need to do two things 1) read more about building stone retaining walls and 2) bribe 23 yr old son to do a majority of the grunt work!

Thanks again for the photos!
    ~Gillian

• chescobob
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Gillian:

If you have your own stone, that is the way to go. There are internet sites that show how to build a wall. I do use stones for smaller walls. Every time I dig a hole, I pull out a large rock, boulder, etc. The landscaper that put in the walls found quite a few large boulders for my use this year.

My problem was so massive that I had to hire someone. I can still dig holes and plant myself though. Actually, I enjoy the digging and planting. It is especially fun when a nice sale is identified.

Its going to take until next Summer to get everything right. I still have major planting and minor work to do this Summer. However, I have so many flowering shrubs in the ground now, I am excited.

For example, I have around 15 or so Girard Fuschia azaleas around the house. I had 8 in the front last year and they bloomed together. It was great.