Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbrandenburg_gw

Western Pa Plant Swap, Anyone Interested

cbrandenburg
18 years ago

I am thinking about having another Western Pa plant swap in early June. Let me know if you guys are up for one and I'll get it together.

Cathy

Comments (56)

• heathrjoy
    18 years ago

I sure hope I can make it again. If I can I'll see about bringing door prizes again if y'all want me to (any suggestions this time?). Thanks for the invite Cathy, did you let Suzi (BriarRoxe) know? I can get in touch with her for you if you need me to.

Thanks again for a great swap last year and for arranging one again this year!
    Heather

• heathrjoy
    18 years ago

If I can make it, my sister-in-law Theresa would like to come with me if she doesn't have to work. She was amazed at all the plants I brought home last year and at all of y'alls generosity. I'm still talking about what a great time I had and she doesn't want to miss out! :)

I know it's very early in the game, but are we pre-arranging trades this time? Same as last time? I thought that worked out so great! I gotta tell you tho, gals, most of the plants I have did come from the swap!! LOL I'm going to be doing some winter sowing also to try to build up my garden and have extras for Theresa and I to bring for trading. If anyone is looking for anything specific please let me know so I can get it started for you!

Y'all are the best! Big hugs to all of you!
    Heather

• gillian_
    18 years ago

Cathy,
    Pick the date that works best for you or that you can get the shelter. Just let me know as soon as you do pick so I can request not to be scheduled that date. I am working all night shifts now so it really wont be a problem. But it would be helpful to have the night off so I won't have to rush back for work.

Looking forward to it!
    ~Gillian

• cbrandenburg
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wonderful, it's going to great to see all you gals again. And of course the guys that will be coming.

I did email everyone except Briarrose, not sure if that's what she went by. I'll check out the old thread if it's still on here.

Heathrjoy we would love to meet Theresa, bring her along and anyone else you would like to bring.

I will be inviting several people from my area that are not online, a few have stated they would love to come.

Now that I know I have enough interest in a Plant Swap I'll get it together and post in the Pennsylvania exchange like we did last year.

Patty thanks for emailing Janette, I did email her through the gardenweb, but let her know whats up.

Gillian, I'll make a date and post later today, forgot to ask Ross what date is better for the club.

I can't wait to see hoehum with bells on, LOL!

Cathy

• heathrjoy
    18 years ago

Cathy, I'm in touch with Suzi (briarrose74) all the time, so I'll let her know for you.

• catena
    18 years ago

Cathy,
    Thanks for letting me know. I have had ideas about favors/prizes to bring too. It certainly was a great time last year! Nice people, good conversation, great food, AND plants!

We all will be looking forward to it, I am sure.

Cynda

• pattygrow5
    18 years ago

Cathy I let Jeanette know and I will bring some homemade doorprizes too.I can't wait! Patty

• cbrandenburg
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wonderful, looks like everyone who came in the fall is up for another wonderful plant swap. I decided on a date, It will be June 10th, so everyone mark you callenders.

I did get a email from Janette she is also coming. I have to email her the date.

As far as doorprises go, it would be great if everyone could just bring one, or as many as you would like to bring, that way everone shares the cost. I talked to Linda, forget her GW name, she's coming and I asked her to do a demo on making garden tags out of pop cans, they are really nice.

I am still getting the post together for the exchange forum, been so busy this week.

Cathy

• gillian_
    18 years ago

Cathy,
    If we have everyone bring a "door prise" it might be fun to do a Chinese gift exchange with them. Just a thought...
    Another thought, if we have a lot of Winter Sowers perhaps we can all bring "hunk 'o seedlings" to pawn ...I mean trade... yeah, that's it!
    I am looking forward to it, the 10th is circled on the calendar.

~Gillian

• cbrandenburg
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Gillian, that a good Idea a Chinese gift exchange sounds like fun. Do you know how it works?

About winter sowing, I didn't do it this year, do you believe that? Did you by chance grow Lupines or Delphiniums? I was thinking about buying some seeds, but if anyone has winter sown them I would be interested in any color of these plants.

Cathy

• pattygrow5
    18 years ago

Cathy I wintersowed both lupines and delphiniums I'll let you know how they do I'll bring some if they are good. Patty

• briarrose74
    18 years ago

Cathy,
    Count me in too! Lord-willing and the creek don't rise! Did I ever tell you that last yr, on the way home, Anna took a seedpod off the Baptista. I said hey, that is my plant, you have plenty of your own. She says these seeds are mine now! Took them home and started them too! That nut didn't fall too far from the tree, LOL

Chinese Gift Exchange?! Could you please elaborate...

Thanks and looking forward to seeing everyone!! ~ Suzi :)

• gillian_
    18 years ago

Every year at Christmas our Sunday school class does this and we usually have a great time. Here are the rules we go by...

Chinese Gift Exchange

~Everybody brings one gift, wrapped....(even a big plant or planter can be "wrapped" in a large leaf size trash bag.)
    ~Pile all the gifts in one place.
    ~Check that the number of gifts equals the number of participants.
    ~Prepare a set of numbered slips, folded and put in a bowl or hat; when you are ready to start everyone takes a number.
    ~The person who drew number 1 takes a gift from the pile, opens the gift and sits down with the gift in plain sight.
    ~Then "2" then takes a gift, either from the pile or "steals" from 1. Then 2 sits down with the gift displayed. If 1's gift was taken, then 1 gets to take another from the pile. She/he cannot directly take back the gift that was just taken from her. She/he may be able to get it later, however.
    ~Then "3" gets up and can take a gift, either from the pile, or from 1 or 2, in which case that person can take either a new gift, or one from another person, but not the gift that was just taken from her/him.
    ~Etc. etc. and the very last person has the choice of all of the previous gifts, or the one still in the pile.
    ~To be fair to the person who drew #1 they get a chance at the end to "steal" a gift since they went first and there would not have been anyone to steal from.
    ~One last rule, after a gift has been "stolen" 3 times, it is "dead" and cannot be stolen anymore.

Anyway, that is how we play. If someone is not interested in playing they just don't bring a gift. I think we should make the gifts a gardening related item or maybe a very special plant.

• cbrandenburg
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Suzi, it will be nice to see you again, did you do any winter sowing with those seeds?

Gillian, I think the Chinese Gift Exchange sounds like fun.

What does everyone else think. Let me know.

Cathy

• pattygrow5
    18 years ago

The chinese auction sounds like fun we'll probally all be wrestling over Heathers beautiful wooden signs. Patty

• heathrjoy
    18 years ago

Thanks Patty, but fight nice gals!! :)

I've ws a bunch of things. Hopefully they all do well. I've put in a bunch of extra seeds with all of you and the swap in mind.

Are we going to have it at the same place or doesn't anyone know yet?

The Chinese Gift thing sounds like a lot of fun to me too. I'm already thinking about who I want to swipe from, he he.
    Heather

• briarrose74
    18 years ago

I agree, those wooden signs that Heatherjoy makes are great!!

I'm planning to WS the next few weeks, since finally down to only 1 job... Should hopefully have lots to bring.

How is Ross doing? Hope he had remarkable recovery!!

Later, Suzi :)

• cbrandenburg
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Suzi, Ross is doing great, he's all better now, Thank God for that. I have been keeping him busy for most of the winter, LOL.

Would anyone like a rooted cutting of a contorted Pussy Willow, my father in law calls it a Japanese Pussy Willow, not sure if thats what its actual name is, he gives names to plants. Anyway, for my birthday Ross cut some branches off and brought them into the house, they already had there pussy willow part on them, I guess because it was so warm early Feb. I think there are about 12 cuttings that have rooted, if anyone wants some let me know and I'll pot them up. This pussy willow gets large, the older the stems get, they start to flatten and curl, nice looking all year long.

Heatherjoy, yes the swap will be at the same place.

We will have the Chinese auction, seems like several people are interested in it, but if someone dosen't want to join in, that's there choice.

Patty, are you emailing Janette with the info so far? And everyone who see's my attack chicken sign loves it, heatherjoy paints beautiful and so does Linda, who by the way has not posted yet, but says she's coming.

Cathy

• cbrandenburg
    Original Author
    18 years ago

check out the Pa Exchange forum for details.

Cathy

• pattygrow5
    18 years ago

Cathy I sent an e-mail of this entire post to Janette don't know if she'll have time to read she only sends us all a group e-mail on weekends she's not coming home till April now. Her pictures are great. Patty

• briarrose74
    18 years ago

Cathy,
    Hi there! Planning to have someone else come too, besides Anna that is. Would that be fine? Let me know...
    Thanks, Suzi :)

• cbrandenburg
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Suzi, bring who ever you would like, we like to meet new people. I'm going to power wash the greenhouse tomorrow and hopefully get it up and going. I need to go through all my seeds and see what to start. Does anyone want any zinnia's or other annuals? I think all the winter sowers will have lots of perennial seedling. Let me know.

Cathy

• gillian_
    18 years ago

Cathy,
    If you would like, I have a few Stargazer dahlia seeds for you. I saw pictures of them posted somewhere on the GW and HAD to have them! Started some just this week in the basement under grow lights. Maybe I will just drop some off to you on my way down to Pittsburgh next weekend. I should drop off a bunch of the Nasturtiums (Vesuvius...very pretty!) I started too...I started way too many, way too early and they are overtaking the small amount of light space I have.

~Gillian

• cbrandenburg
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Gillian, I would love to see you, and I have a lot of room for some Nasturtiums. Let me know when when you are coming.

Cathy

• hoehum
    18 years ago

I FINALLLLLLY have my computer up and running again. DS felt the pressure and paid off a few hours of labor (as in 'I gave birth to you!')

Cathy, Pussy Willows sound wonderful.

I just had a chance to read through the posts. Have a sticky note written out to put on my calendar - wrote the date of the swap and a reminder to wear bells.

I put the 'Hello I'm ___' name tags with my gardening stuff.

I'm way behind on my winter sowing - this has been the greenest, sunniest winter ever so I didn't feel the desperate urge this year. Only have 25 jugs out there so far. I have Lupin seeds and plenty of cold temps left to get them to sprout & now I have the motivation.

Patty, the Monkshood had one gorgeous blooming stalk. Sort of a 'last hurrah' for the fall garden. The color was so intense - I dragged my neighbor out on a cold blustery day & we both stood staring at it in awe.

• pattygrow5
    18 years ago

Hi Hoehum, that monkshood is a late bloomer it is a beautiful blue I wintersowed a white monkshood.looking forward to seeing you all. Patty

• cbrandenburg
    Original Author
    18 years ago

hoehum, I have a pussy willow with your name on it. Glad to here you puter is back up and running. Thanks for remembering the name tags, they always help.

Cathy

• cbrandenburg
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I planted way to many Datura Double Purple Swirl, I think thats the right name. Anyone interested in them?

• patshouseonahill
    18 years ago

Please count me in! I haven't been on GW boards for a while for lack of time, and I couldn't make the swap last year but would love to come this time! Pls provide details when known...Thanks! Pat

• pattygrow5
    18 years ago

Hi patshouseonahill, where do you live? I sent you an e-mail?
    Patty

• cbrandenburg
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I gave the wrong name on that datura, It is called Datura Black Current Swirl, the bloom is a double purple, sorry about that.

Cathy

• samiam06
    18 years ago

O am new here we live in New Castle, I would love to come and join in. Can you let me know when and where?

• cbrandenburg
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sam here is a link to the plant swap, it's in the exchange area of the PA forum. We would love to have you come, there will be a lot of nice plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Swap

• cbrandenburg
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just checking, is everyone still interested in this swap, please post if you are. I'm surprised that nobody is posting concerning the swap.

Cathy

• pattygrow5
    18 years ago

Yes Cathy I am interested looking forward to it want to give the plants a little more time to come up before I post what I have some take a little longer than others to come up. Patty

• monipsych
    18 years ago

I'm new to gardening...past 2 years. And was hooked on WS this year. I'm near Pittsburgh. Can I get details on the swap?
    TY
    Monica

• westhighlandblue
    18 years ago

I over did the mail order thing this past winter. I am currently SCRAMBLING to accomodate most of what I bought, but, by June I expect I'll still have hardy hibiscus, heliopsis, winterberry, highbush cranberry, bayberry, and common phlox to swap.

I am new to the area and I am not sure how far I'll have to travel, but I figure I can make it if its within three hours or so of my house.

• cbrandenburg
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here is a link to the plant swap, it's in the Pennsylvania exchange forum. We would love to have both of you join us for the swap.

Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Swap

• westhighlandblue
    18 years ago

Geesh! I just put the plant swap address into Map Quest and learned that it is 5 hours from my house. I guess I won't be in attendance.

• barefoot_babe
    18 years ago

I'm still interested, but it is still to early to know what I will have to trade. My plants are just starting to peek thier heads out after thier winter nap.

• roxannemoskal
    18 years ago

2 things. Is anyone interested in swapping pond plants. And I'm a florist, would a wreath be something you'd want as a door prize?????

• cbrandenburg
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I think there are a few people who have ponds that are coming to the swap, they will probably post soon to let you know. A wreath sounds wonderful, your welcome to bring anything you like. We are also having a chinese auction, you could make one for the auction. I have a lot of plants to divide, everything is growing like crazy, I'll post my list soon. I can't believe it, but I have 2 daylilies with scapes on them, this is the first time that has ever happened here this eary in PA for me.

Cathy

• pattygrow5
    18 years ago

I have a pond roxannemoskal I hve zebra rush, water celery, and forget me nots water lilys but I won't touch them whatcha got. Patty

• roxannemoskal
    17 years ago

I have Alba water lilys, parrots feather, pennywort for trade. I'm also going to have some japanese morning glorys.

• cbrandenburg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

June 10th will be here soon, anyone else want to come to the plant swap?

Cathy

• fun4bru
    17 years ago

I will be there but I am not going to have alot to offer alot of spits of black eyed susans I am looking for some sum and substance hostas if there is anyone out there that has them...

• cbrandenburg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

fun4bru, I checked on that hosta and it's a Fried Bananna, I thought it was sum and substance, your welcome to have that one if you like. Let me know and I'll bring it along.

I am looking for Iris's, tall bearded or dwarf bearded, anyone have any??

Cathy

• dirtdiva
    17 years ago

I'll be going to the swap. It will be a first for me. I am looking forward to meeting all of you fellow gardeners. Take a look at my trade list and make me an offer I can't refuse:)
    The hosta I have for trade are undulata variegata, lemon lime, halcyon, gold standard, lancefolia, plantagia
    I'm looking for plants that do well in the shade.
    dirtdivarocks

• cbrandenburg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

June 10th is this Saturday, can't wait to meet all the new gardeners. Don't worry about not having a lot of plants, there will plenty to take home with you. I am bringing another truck load with me to the swap.

Named Hosta
    Named Daylilies
    Named Coleus, sun and shade varieties
    EE's
    Grasses
    Canna
    Dahalia
    Unnamed Iris Yellow/brown tall bearded
    Snap Dragon Day/Night

and lots more. Linda and her Hubby are going to do a demo on making plant tags, they are wonderful to use in the garden. Now I need to go and check on plants that I promised people that I would bring to the swap.

Cathy

• fun4bru
    17 years ago

yes I would love to have one thanks

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional