Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lotsarocks

We miss the plums of our Plum Tree

lotsarocks
17 years ago

The first year we lived in our house, our plum tree bore delicious sweet fruit. Now 5 years later, the plums get to the size of large black olives,(maybe a little bigger)and then fall off. The tree still flowers beautifully in the spring and we just recently (the past year) had problems with the Jap beetles eating the leaves. I was wondering if the tree needs to be sprayed or pruned or both to get the plums to reach full maturity. Or maybe the tree is diseased, it is old....can anyone recommed a good tree expert, in Upper Bucks area? thanks!

Comments (9)

• annebert
    17 years ago

I'm aware that there is a problem in PA with plum pox virus. It's possible that's what's causing your fruit drop. I think it' s only been found in orchards in Adams County so far. So maybe it's not likely, but if that's what it is, it's important for PA Cooperative Extension to know.

The Backyard Fruitgrowers is a great source of information. You can read about plum pox there and email for advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: BYFG

• Patriz
    17 years ago

Good advice above. It could be PPV Plum Virus, however, it could also be something cultural with unfavorable environmental conditions...weather and pollination, or nutritional as something lacking in the soil. You should have your soil tested. There is also an insect, plum curculio, which could affect early fruit drop. If you live near farms which spray herbicides, then that could also be a factor with drift.
    Call the Bucks Co. Extension office and speak to the agent. S/he will advise you how to proceed.
    http://bucks.extension.psu.edu/
    http://sharka.cas.psu.edu/

• geoforce
    17 years ago

Most common cause of fruit drop like this is insects. Commonly plum curculio.

George

Here is a link that might be useful: Plum Curculio

• annebert
    17 years ago

I made an assumption that if there had been no problem for several years, and then it suddenly appeared, that it would not be commonly encountered insects. But maybe that's not a good assumption - have people found that when they first plant a fruit tree, things go well for a few years, then the insects, diseases "discover" you? Inquiring minds want to know.

• geoforce
    17 years ago

When we built our house 35 years ago, we planted a plum orchard, 12 trees, 2 each of 6 varieties. We had bushels of fruit for 4 years, then started getting early dropping from the curculios. They brought the virus, and at about 10 years all the trees had died. We tried a few more, but they became virused before they even grew to full fruiting size.

I miss the plums too.

George

• lotsarocks
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all your advice. I will give the Extension offices a call!

• Pipersville_Carol
    17 years ago

We inherited an old plum tree when we bought our house. It's hideously disfigured from black knot disease. I've tried to prune out the diseased parts, but the tree basically looks awful each season. Even so, it usually produces loads of yummy fruit. I think plum trees are pretty vigorous. Hopefully your extension office will be able to diagnose your tree's problem. It'll probably come back nicely after treatment.

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

i finally gave up and cut mine down. i hated to do it, but it was a mess. the bark was all dried up and falling. fruit would grow mostly at the top and birds and squirrels (i think) would get them and then they would all drop at once. did indeed bloom very pretty, but the site of the rest of it didn't warrant saving. i held out as long as i could.

• nick_17815_pa
    17 years ago

My parents have a plum tree in their backyard. It would bloom and attempt to fruit, but never got much fruit due to drop and what looked like disease. My dad finally cut it down to about a foot above the crotch. We placed a big flat rock on top of the branch stubs so it fit really nice, almost like a table. The tree ended up growing around the rock holding it securely, and the new growth looks nice compared to the gnarled, black knotted part that was there before. I'd say if you're at the point where you're going to cut it down, try cutting all of the top growth off.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert