Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Start Tub Pond?

Posted by chriswanderer90 none (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 22:02

Hi:

Does anyone know how to start a tub pond without any filtration, aeration gizmos?

I wonder where you get freshwater plants? Because I went to pet stores, and they don't seem to have any. Could you buy them online?

Stores also don't seem to carry Gambusia..

Thanks,
Chris Chung

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Start Tub Pond?

I don't know what zone your in, but what would you do with them in the winter? You can order plants online, but any local nursery should have them.Most carry water related stuff. The water garden thing is a whole 'nother addiction,LOL!

o

Thanks for the reply dee67.

I might start a wildlife pond outside actually.. but I don't know how much I'd have to dig..

o

Go over to the ponds & aquatics forum. Lot's to learn there.

o

I second the pond forum, but while you're here, I do tub ponds the easy way.

Cheap plastic tub or drainage free planter.... sometimes the tub can be spraypainted to get rid of any overly annoying bright color.... fill with water.... basically done.

Feeder guppies from the pet store or feeder goldfish (the guppies are more "expendable") will keep the mosquitos controlled. A good garden center or sometimes Lowes will have some pond plants, depending on the size of the tub, you can go with all sorts of water plants up to and including water lilies and lotus.

Last year I got a cheap solar powered fountain and put that in. I was extremely pleased with myself, but I'm not sure if it will last more than a year or two.

o

I do mainly fountains out of flower pots.I don't have to worry about mosquitos in there since the water constantly moves too fast for them to breed. But if you don't want to worry about dealing with fish for mosquitos just throw in some BT (mosquito bits or dunks sold @ Lowes or HD). It's natural. I use it in my birdbath.Doesn't hurt anything but the skeeters.

o

i had one Ihad a frog he use to sit onedge,fish would jump out.I now have a pretty big pond 8 shape.You have to dig down below frost line if fish stay in pond over winter.They also need a shallow end to sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here