Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where's the best location for Vitex in my area

Posted by simplemary PA (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 3, 09 at 23:25

I have a Vitex Agnes Castes (chaste tree) shrub that I got last year that I have in a sheltered location for overwintering. It grew well there, but I would like to move it somewhere else in the spring. What is the best location for this plant & how does it overwinter in the Pgh area usually? Does it need more protection than other shrubs? I've not seen it north of WVA but was assured that it was once a popular shrub up here. I have full sun to full shade in my yard and most of my soil is wet. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where's the best location for Vitex in my area

Vitex's growing zone is 7-9, you're stretching it in the Pittsburgh area - is that zone 6 or 5? If it survives this winter and comes back, I wouldn't move it, unless you're prepared to loose it through experimenting. I have one, facing east, in full sun, roots have been hardy for 2 years.

o

Thanks, Paula in pa. We're supposed to be zone 6, but this winter has been challenging.

o

My friend has one facing south east in her yard. She is in zone 6 York County,Pa and her chaste has done great there. It is hugh!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here