Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earthlydelights_gw

Stink (?) bugs

earthlydelights
17 years ago

anyone else having problems with these? based on what i've read, they're fairly new to the US and our area and need to find a place for the winter. well, they must have found me. it's starting to get annoying.

maryanne

http://www.ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/brownMarmoratedstinkbug.htm

Comments (53)

• dangerous_with_tools
    17 years ago

I'm also in the burbs outside the northeast and we have plenty of stink bugs (also called shield bugs, because of their shape). They pop up inside whenever the we get a warm couple of days.

I always remembered seeing the green ones but, yeah, the greyish-brown ones have been coming on like gangbusters.

They're mostly harmless and, IMHO, kinda cute. Twice, however, I found them swimming in my coffee at my old office in West Philly (old building, plenty of places for them to get in).

I saw plenty of them this past summer and fall, but they didn't seem to do any damage to my shrubs.

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    17 years ago

i think in the past couple of months, i've had about a 8 or 10 inside. all of a sudden, there they are. a friend told me they don't fly. oh yes they do. last night i witnessed it. usually i just see them somewhere. i really would have no clue where to seal things, i live in an older house, they can get in any place. i've squished them, i've flushed them, i just wish i knew where exactly they are coming from.

rhody, in my search of these bugs, i did find pretty much the same of what you posted. i just hope they aren't laying eggs anywhere that i'm stuck with them for life.

• annld
    17 years ago

I've seen a few of them in my house recently, and my cats are all over them. I think one of my cats must have eaten one and gotten an upset stomach as a result. I'm surprised to hear people saying stink bugs are relatively new. I remember them from growing up in Texas. Maybe they're a different type here, but they look the same to me.

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    17 years ago

i guess new is that they've only been around for the last 4 or 5 years. i'd take lady bugs anyday. i am never sure why people don't like them. i never had problems with them, and it was always "good luck" to find one. i hardly ever see them.

ann, i wonder if what makes the bug stink released something in your cat's belly. hope he/she is feeling better.

• rhodyman
    17 years ago

Annld, the brown marmorated stink bug, Halyomorpha halys, is a fairly new species imported from the Far East (e.g., Taiwan, Japan, Korea) which was first discovered in the USA in Allentown, Pa., in 2001. Before that stink bugs were very rare in PA. I thought I smelled something when I was in Texas. ;)

Just kidding, but stink bugs are common in Texas:

Southern green stink bug - Nezara viridula
    Rice stink bug - Oebalus pugnax
    Conchuela stink bug - Chlorochroa ligata
    Brown stink bug - Euschistus servus
    Harlequin bug - Murgantia histrionica
    Spined shouldered stink bug - Podisus maculiventris
    and soon the Brown marmorated stink bug - Halyomorpha halys

• annld
    17 years ago

That's interesting -- I didn't realize stinkbugs were a rarity anywhere. I've been seeing them all over my house lately. Very annoying. They don't really stink that much when you crush them, fortunately. I've had lots of boxelder beetles, too. And yes, my cat is fine -- thanks for asking. Nothing a little antacid wouldn't cure.

• geoforce
    17 years ago

Just saw some of these in my place of work yesterday. SE Delaware county near the Delaware border. I have not yet seen them at my home in Chester county over near New London.

George

• dartagnanpluck
    17 years ago

Thenx to professional pest control I do not see ANYTHING inside, but last summer they were all over my Peaches and Grapes and I am sure everything else. They like the brambles too, which I have a lot of. I remember when I was a pre-teen we had one sort or another of them in the fields in New Jersey. They love the raspberries and blackberry brambles.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

This year was the first time I have seen these so prominently and there were plenty. I am in the NW part of Phila. right on the Montco line. My mother (in the city) and both sisters (Montco and Delco) both had and still have them (they have been found inside their houses). In fact, this past Friday when I was visiting one of my sisters, we spotted yet another inside.

I never saw the ones I had eating anything. They would basically sit or slowly crawl somewhere (I did finally see one fly). I didn't find any insect-damaged plants (including my lilacs or plum where I would see them on or near). I know there are a couple of insects that look like the one described here. I expect that the mild winter last year helped these to overwinter to swarm this past summer. Am hoping that the significant cold of this past February put a dent in the population.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    17 years ago

hmmmmm. new pest. Great.
    I was wondering about these, I found two in my finished attic this winter. I thought it was a quirk not the start of a new oncoming infestation. I don't know what I'm going to do if I have to respond to constant calls from the attic to remove some "huge bug".

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    17 years ago

well, i hate to speak too soon, but i haven't had one in the house for better than a week. maybe spring is really coming and they are back outside.

although i wasn't infested with them, i found at least a dozen in the house, mostly upstairs. someone mentioned it was because i have plants up here. funny thing is, they were never on or near the plants. i would be sitting on the computer and there one would be. three i found downstairs.

well at least i don't have to worry about spraying anything or finding out where they were in the walls.

maryanne

• sarahbn
    17 years ago

I first saw them in the fall of 2005 I don't see many they do fly and I've heard they like to hide in curtain linings. I wonder if they were a stowaway from Asia unlike the asian lady bug beetle that was purposefully brought here. I think they have a metallic smell when I crush them.

• kbibbybaker
    17 years ago

I live in Beaver County (western PA), and the stink bugs are driving us crazy! They even survive being washed in the washing machine! They are everywhere. Our house is sealed pretty tightly already, but evidently they are coming in from somewhere. I need your help.

I've read the postings that they are running rampant in PA, but I have not seen a good posting of how to eliminate them (other than sealing the house). Does anyone know of a good pesticide that we can use in our home? I am going to try to contact someone at Penn State for their suggestions.

Thanks!
    Kathy

• rhodyman
    17 years ago

sarahbn, the brown marmorated stink bug, Halyomorpha halys, is a fairly new species accidentaly imported from the Far East (e.g., Taiwan, Japan, Korea) which was first discovered in Allentown, Pa., in 2001.

• stacy_wisser
    17 years ago

I've been lurking around the gardenweb for months and am located in Carbon County, PA. We have also been infested with those stink bugs. The only way I've been trying to get rid of them is to grind them up in the garbage disposal in the kitchen. If I put them outside, I figure they'll just come right back inside.

I'm sure I'll get into the swing of things here and post more often now.

I would love to hear of some other ideas of getting these little pests out of the house.

Stacy.

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    17 years ago

i just squish them. i spoke to soon a week or so back. i've had a few more in the house after they took a break for a week or so.

i guess you could exterminate, but i won't. i'll deal with it. rather that than taking a chance on chemicals.

i'm not sure if once they find their way in if they ever leave - sure hope they aren't laying eggs in the walls or whereever they are. i can't tell where they come in although everything you read says to find the place.

good luck with them stacy.

maryanne

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    17 years ago

And they do stink! The first time I saw one inside, I picked it up and tossed it out the door. The smell was awful. I couldn't wash it off my hand. I started to get sick. I finally got a bottle of PineSol and washed with that. Then I smelled like a public restroom.

Some smell worse than others. We no longer crush them unless they are wrapped in newspaper.

Over the last few years we have been replacing our old storm windows with modern windows which are much tighter. We have definately seen a reduction. But, some still sneak in. That is what stumps us, that a bug that size can slip in.

• jerseytexan
    17 years ago

I have read lots about what brown STINK BUGS are but cannot seem to find what I can use to get rid of them. Sorry folks but I want these bugs dead. Mainly they are in my yard but they are also harming my flowering plants - hibiscus especially my butterfly plants. Any advise or sites with killing instructions is helpful. Preferably something that is save for the environment expecially my dogs.

• seventowers
    16 years ago

The marmorated stink bug is from Asia and unlike our native stink bugs these make their way into homes when the cold sets in.
    In fall if you see a stink bug in the house more likely than not it's the marmorated type and unique to them is their white striping on their antenna.
    Outdoors in the garden you might want to use more caution before killing any stink bugs you may encounter because there are predatory , benificial types that look very similar to the pests and the predatory types are very effective in killing the nastier pests.
    Below is a link to bug guide.net and if interested you will find many photos of the many different types of true bugs as well as which are beneficial and which are not ..
    L

Here is a link that might be useful: bug Guide

• corgitrbl
    16 years ago

Anyone have any further luck with this problem?

I am thinking of spraying Neem around the house today.
    What can it hurt? Is it because of the fruits, etc.
    around?

Confused.

• cloudy_christine
    16 years ago

I find that I can avoid activating the stink by catching the bug in a paper napkin or kleenex without crushing, and then quickly flushing it down the toilet.

• green_if_possible
    16 years ago

Well, today's the day. I have found more than 10 trying to get in the upstairs windows and window air conditioner. Does anyone have an idea of how to kill them or deter them from getting inside besides hand picking?

• teena21beena_comcast_net
    16 years ago

I have these stink bugs in every room of my house!!! Last week I found one crawling up my leg and one on my pillow. At that point I starting killing them. The best thing to do is let them crawl on a tissue and then flush them. I live in Horsham PA and every day I find about 10 to 15 new ones inside. They even stick to the outside of my car and take trips with me. They look like they are drunk when they fly and crash into the wall. Can these bugs cause any harm or spread disease?

• lirbras
    16 years ago

Hi there,
    Here is what I have learned about stink bugs. One never squash them. The smell actually attracts other stink bugs. It also allows stink bugs for 2 seasons tto know where they can hibernate. So bad idea, if you wanna make sure you dont get invested. Two there are things to help with minimizing your chances of investation. here they are. Also they do fly and some even bite.

Baygon Aerosol.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: Low odor aerosol in a pressurized
    can designed for crack, crevice and void treatment. With it's
    unique needle-like straw injector, you are able to get it deep
    into wall voids where target pests are nesting.

TARGET PESTS: Although it is labeled and effective
    for many pests, Baygon works great for stink bugs.

WHERE TO USE IT: Around window frames, door frames,
    molding, pipe holes, cracks, crevices and generally where the
    use of a liquid application would be too messy. Baygon allows
    the applicator to make precise, specific applications where it
    counts. It will penetrate deep where stink bugs are
    nesting. Try to treat every foot with a 5 second blast on
    siding. A can will treat about 500 sq/ft of cracks and crevices.

PRODUCT NAME: Spreader Sticker.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: An additive which is mixed with
    pesticide and water. It is odorless and will allow the
    pesticide to "stick" better to treated surfaces. Helps
    get certain pests which have natural oils and coverings
    which make treatment difficult. This is particularly
    helpful when spraying for stink bugs.

TARGET PESTS: Just about any pest.

WHERE TO USE IT: Inside or outside.
    Well hope this helps.

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    16 years ago

there was just a little commercial blurb - the local news (nbc10-philadelphia) is going to do a report on these pests. i think it's their 5:00 news program.

i've killed two so far and sucked one up in the vaccum and have flicked several off the screens. here we go again!!!!!!

maryanne

• jbest123
    16 years ago

If this is the bug you are speaking of,it has been around since I was a kid. And I'm almost 70 yrs young. We called them stink bugs back then. I live about 30mi NNE of Pittsburgh

• PRO
    The Metal Peddler
    16 years ago

I've noticed a slight increase in stink bugs but nothing to bother me so far. We get so many creepy crawlies in our house anyway. I am planning to wipe my walls & around my windows with some citronella oil - something I saw on TV recently as a way to keep insects crawling around the house.

• Organic_johnny
    16 years ago

jbest123: There are some natives that look (and smell) similar, but they don't enter houses to overwinter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikibooks page

• kathy_h_2009
    15 years ago

I live in Allegany County and this winter we have spotted the brown marmorated stink bug in my house. It's maily been in my upstairs area. Over the summer we had replacement windows put in so I know there isn't any cracks around my windows. What can I do to rid my house of these bug. I'm not a fan of any type of bugs. They have been found on my curtains, on my beds and on my ceiling lights. Please help me to find something to get rid of them with.

• ajpa
    15 years ago

Just an idea -- how about trapping them with flypaper?

• chrisanne1
    15 years ago

Have lots of them in my house, too, though, fortunately, haven't had problems with the "stink" aspect. I mainly pick them up with toilet tissue and flush 'em. Anyone know what the larva look like--Jap beetle-like grubs?

• honda4730
    15 years ago

Is there anywhere in PA (Pittsburgh) where I can purchase Baygon?...last year saw moderate amounts of these bugs outside...Christmas upacked the decorations and saw about 6 in hiding...I live near a heavily wooded area and I have a feeling they will be bad this year...I've sealed up all of the cracks ( I hope ) in the house, really want to treat exterior...stink bugs are disgusting...any help will be appreciated.

• jemoda
    15 years ago

ok... i'm desperate.. in western PA. i thought it was just us... what is thie BAYGON? is it safe? we can't go on just flushing them. they are freaking my kids out. we see anywhere from 2-10 a day in our 3rd floor family room. it's an old house, and totally sealing everything is virtually impossible. it's 'sealed' enough to keep out wasps, and that's the best i can do. we need another plan of attack...... help!!!!

• jiggreen
    15 years ago

I'm desperate too! I'm in Cumberland County. I must have 15-20 (minimum) of these things in my house on any given day. We've also sealed up everything we can find to seal, but still they find their way in the house! I catch them and flush them and turn around and another one zips by my head (they are loud when they fly! like little helicopters!)...They get in my dresser drawers, in between pages of my books, the folds of my drapes and lampshades ,they crawl on my walls and ceilings...ugggggggggggggg..they are making me nuts!!!!

If it's only taken a year to get this bad (I don't remember having these prior to last year..at least not that I noticed)....what is it going to be like in another couple of years???

I can handle the japanese beetles..I hate them, but they are limited to summertime. These stink bugs are a year round nuisance!!!!!

• jemoda
    15 years ago

Well the Pgh area seems to be particularly bad then. I'm near a heavily wooded area myself (right next to Frick Park). I've been wondering about Baygon as well. What is it exactly? What is like to use around kids and pets? I seriously can't take much more of this.. of course with the warming trend the last couple of days it hasn't been as bad, but it's the principle of the matter. The comment about fly paper made me think... but fly paper grosses me out lol.......I had one friend that lectured me about how the climate is changing and we need to make accomodations... OK.. You take the bugs...I'll wear a coat!

• cathy_j_connor_comcast_net
    15 years ago

We are having the same problem. We live in the North Hills of Pittsburgh. I wasn't sure what these bug/insects were called. I started noticing them only this past year. It's been about 5 of these buggers a week that I have to crush with a paper towel and flush down the toilet. They have been on the first and second floor of our home. Our cat usually finds them and thinks it is a playmate. They really creep me out, as I found one on my nightstand recently. I'll have to check out this Baygon stuff. I'm intriqued that it is rampant in the Pittsburgh area.

• pksinan
    15 years ago

Has anyone who is growing tomatoes and peppers ever noticed areas of white blotches or mottling on the fruit? I am pretty sure this is stink bug dammage. They literally suck the color right out of the fruit. The white areas extend under the skin into the fruit, ruining the appearance and also spreading rot and disease. Stink bugs are my single biggest pest. I am 90% confident they are causing the damage. I shoot them one at a time with pyrethrin spray, which paralyzes them almost on contact. But they have been pretty overwhelming the past couple of years, especially later in the Summer and into Fall.

• bhaktadano
    15 years ago

Altoona city also has these bugs. They can fly, but are very clumsy and seem to prefer crawling. If you squash them they make a huge mess. Ways to reduce the stinkbug: Don't leave sugary drinks out, clean up leaf litter around your house (this is where the larva live), use an opaque blind if you have lights on inside at night. Their slow movement and large size make them easy to find and capture. Use an empty pill bottle to capture them and then take them outside, or collect them in a sealed aquarium to study.

• senko
    15 years ago

They are not very bad here (NE Philly) yet. But I can see that they are closing in. I did find several this past winter and just put outside. Perhaps collecting them in soap solution would have been better. That is what I do for Japanese Beetles. But, we need more permenant solution. Hopefully someone will post something. So lets keep this post alive until we get a solution.

• greengardener07
    15 years ago

Usually the cat finds them in the house. By the time I realize he has one, the bug is in bad shape. So, I pick it up and the bug get thrown outside to be eaten up by the other insects or I flush it down the toilet.

What else can be done?

• craftlady07
    15 years ago

I'm in the Allentown Area. These bugs are awful. I feel like they're dive bombing us!
    I've taken to feeding them to my turtle or sucking them up with the vacuum. other then sealing my house, I just don't know what to do. And the Boxelder beetles are getting on my last nerve too. ugh, stupid bugs.

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i am beginning to see a few now that the weather is changing. i would never just flush them unless the toilet needs to be flushed. what a waste of water that is. i will collect them in something else. i never squash them. i can't begin to seal up my entire house because i have no clue where they get in.

one night one must have been on my shirt and got on my neck. it kind of digs its way in, tick-like. the area of my neck hurt for a few days.

i don't have enough of them to consider an exterminator and personally, i don't use any chemical sprays, so that's out of the question. i guess they are here to stay. i'm at war with a couple of squirrels, so i really have to pick and choose my battles.

Here is a link that might be useful: stink bug article

• georgehav
    15 years ago

Hi from a neighbor in central Virginia. We didn't see any of these until about 3 years ago. Now in the fall they land on the house by the hundreds. And, there are THOUSANDS in the attic. They especially like to overwinter in the folds of hanging clothing: armpits, lapels, seams are highly desirable stinkbug condos. And anything else with folds: flaps of cardboard cartons, folded towels.
    (We had the misfortune to have had the interior of our new home painted in the fall. The painters left all the windows open at the time the beasts were swarming and our home has become a very popular vacation spot.) We also live next to an apple cold-storage plant.

We've resigned ourselves for the moment to the same method we used to successfully remove acres of kudzu from our property: brute force. Yesterday we spent 2 hrs in the attic with a vacuum cleaner hose and sucked the buggers up. The powerful turbine of our vac pulverized them. Plastic storage boxes seem to have kept them out of boxed clothes.

One post here recommended using permethrin and related chemicals. I read a permethrin label that was downright scary in details of its toxicity. The suggestioin to use a light trap is intriguing, though. Looking forward to hearing about your stinkbug adventures and solutions!

• resil
    15 years ago

We have had increasing numbers (about 4 new "sightings" per day) of stink bugs in our house, starting around March 2009. We live between Frederick and Germantown in central MD. Has anyone had success with Baegon spray?

• corgitrbl
    14 years ago

Had a little luck with Neem in that is decreased their numbers. No luck in total annihilation.

I am getting silly with the ways I use to dispose of these things and they perch in places that chills me to the bone. Like having a alien invade.

These buggers are bad.

• justinryan215
    13 years ago

yup...they are here! we can all blame Harry Truman...we should not havestopped with Nagasaki and Hiroshima...total annhilationwould have been the only answer, because apparently, these things evolved with the remaining nuclear radiation!

• katsrevenge42
    13 years ago

I hate them. I'm in SE Pittsburgh area and they like to hang out with the AVs.

UG! I don't use chemicals so I've been spraying them with a mix of dishsoap water with a few drops of hot sauce and cinnamon extract. It's been killing them. I take no prisoners when it comes to things on my plants.

Gonna throw more DE or borax in the basement. They seem to come from there.

• lovermonkee_gmail_com
    12 years ago

here's a good way to kill them without stinking up the place get a empty spray bottle i think home depot has them for like a couple bucks get some dish soap i like using dawn or something that smells good fill the bottle up about 2/3 with with warm water put the soap into the bottle (about 1/2 cup) you want the mixture to be about bubble consistency(when your blowing bubbles for fun)now this doesnt kill them right away but give it a few minutes and they die it dissolves their exoskeleton and they just die but it makes it easier to just pick them up and throw them away but dont use a vacuum to pick them up it will make your house and vacuum stink hope it helps

• desert-sage
    11 years ago

I was inundated with these babies this year and unfortunately I didn't identify them early enough as they are now all over my garden and perennials. I have discovered that they do die when sprayed with Neem. I am very excited because I didn't think it worked but today I watched them roll over and DIE! For those of you who have problems with them in your house there is a new organic product that is advertised to be very effective in the house and won't stain walls. It is made from oils of Thyme, rosemary and cinnamon and is pet approved. It is sold by Seven Spring Farm (www.7springsfarm.com).

• DelGreen
    11 years ago

I just noted that the stink bugs are starting to look for a winter home. Also it appears that nematodes (black and about 1+ inch long) are following them. Over these past years I have noted a decrease in the stink bugs. Are these nematodes going after them? Could it be that these little black nematodes have found a prey they like? If you'd like to try a few of these nematodes, I'll be glad to share.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting