Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leyland Cypress

Posted by busylizzy z5 PA (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 31, 06 at 6:00

Looking to see if anyone has sucessfully grown Leyland Cypress this far North. thinking of getting them for in a wind break.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leyland Cypress

Hi BL
We live in the Valley Forge area (zone 6 PA) and planted a row of Leyland Cypress about 10 years ago for a privacy screen....They grow really fast (they're now in the 30-foot plus range), got a bit stressed a few years back when we had the drought but otherwise pretty darn hardy. The only complaint I have is that their root structure doesn't go real deep to support their height and a few of them tend to topple in high winds if the grounds really soggy but we just keep tying them back up. We have clay soil so that probably doesn't help the roots. Still, I'd rate them great if you need height fast. Good luck and happy planting!

o
RE: Leyland Cypress

Check out your local orange big box store. They had a fluke in pricing and the L. Cyprus,5 foot tall, are under $10.00 each. They have loads in stock to move out (at least in my area) before they die out from lack of water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here