Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grass Seed Varieties

Posted by lulubalboa 6 PA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 24, 05 at 8:09

We are preparing to plant a new lawn. I would like to plant a tri rye seed but don't know what Brands to buy. The staff at the Lowes and Home Depot what to be helpful, but were not certain what I was looking for. Would you please give me some direction on what Brand Name of seed I should purchase. I really do not know one seed from another and need a little help

We have no tree on the property and the top soil is in decent shape. Last fall I patched a few areas and they came in well. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grass Seed Varieties

You might be better off buying at your local Garden Center or Agway if you have one. When we owned a Garden Center/ Nursery business, we offered Penn State mix. Fescue, Periennel Rye & I think Kentucky Blue Grass. When one germinates it gives the others a foot hold to get started and each has attributes that the others don't. We always had 95% success. But you need to address your needs. Do you want turf grass for heavily used areas? Do you have sun or partial shade conditions? These are questions that a professional can answer, someone who actually seeds lawns for a living, and not someone who sells the product .

o

Thank you kindly. I did purchase my BT at our Agway. None of the "Home Centers" carry it or knew anything about it. Back to the Agway for our seed. The yard has little shade and is not heavily used.
Thanks again.

o

Great, I'm glad to help. Now you need to hope that the ground dries out enough to till it so you can seed it!!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here