Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naturenut_pa

mulch delivery $

naturenut_pa
19 years ago

hope everybody is enjoying the slow spring thaw!

i have a question that i hope somebody can answer. i've always purchased mulch in bags. usually it is pine bark mulch from walmart.

however, one of the local (and kinda pricey) local nurseries is running a "special", for delivered mulch. free delivery, but it is $25 per tractor scoop, which is (according to them) roughly 1 cubic yard.

i'm trying to imagine how many bags of mulch would comprise a cubic yard...and i fail to see how "special" this offer is.

has anybody else had mulch delivered? and if so, does this seem like an unusually high price, or am i just mathematically challenged?

thanks for any responses :-)

matt

Comments (15)

• anniesgarden
    19 years ago

I get mulch delivered--$25/yd, and those tractor scoops are pretty generous. I think the bags hold around 2 or 3 cubic feet. There are 27 cubic feet in a cubic yard, so 9 bags (if they are 3 cubic feet) would give you a yard (right???--I'm mathematically challenged), so if you're paying more than $2.78 for a 3 cu. ft. bag, delivery is cheaper. And it's DELIVERED--what a luxury.

• MaxBaerHems
    19 years ago

Naturenut,
    Before you can determine if it is a good deal, you must get the 'True' bucket size (Scoop). Then you need to know the distance traveled for delivery. The most important factor, the 'Type' of Mulch, IE Hardwood, Bark, Double/Triple shread....Mulching process?? Now, seeing this can be a rather complicated process you may want to reasearch it a bit more. I think you might find a place/site like this one I shall leave a Link too, a good place to start. Mulch is sold by Weight, Scoop, Yard/Cubic Yard and bag, as you already know. It can be amazing the difference in quailty, amount, delivery price and the making process. If you use a large amount which you can figure by figuring approx one cubic yard per 100 Sq Feet of bed to be mulched, you may want to order by a much larger truck load. The above method will give you about a 3-4 inch coverage of mulch. I use Tri-axle delivery myself. I find for my needs it is much cheaper then by bag or local nursery delivery (Scoop). Check out this link and If I can be of help just holler...Hope this helped you.
    www.zeager.com

(PS) Normally a good double/triple shredded quality mulch would sell for around that 25.00 price, if a true cubic yard. Emphasis on Quailty and True Cubic yard scoop. Especially if that includes delivery. It would then be a very good price. Your typical Skid loader bucket used at many nursery/garden centers is "normally" a 5/8 yard bucket/level scoop. Well this can go on forever...LOL I shall stop, now.

Rickâº

• elongrad97
    19 years ago

Does anyone find one mulch better than another? I bought from Weaver's Mulch in Coatesville last year, and the stuff turned gray within a couple of weeks. My neighbors stayed dark much longer than ours did.

• Pipersville_Carol
    19 years ago

I changed from bulk to bagged mulch last year because I was sick of shovelling bulk deliveries into a wheelbarrow and wheeling them to various spots in the garden. The bags were easier to handle. The bulk mulch did seem cheaper, though.

• MaxBaerHems
    19 years ago

A helpful hint....if I may...always use a pitch fork when Mulching...the number of tines...dependent on the thickness/fiber of the Mulch. It is so much easier on ones back and arms. Using a Tarp also can make moving it around much easier then wheel-barrowing is many situations. I also use a small trailer on a riding mower/tractor to move too large beds. Have even been known to take the 4X4 P/U along side the beds and just pitch fork off from it too.
    Carol, trust me a shovel makes it too much work and a pitch fork allows you to spread it evenly and the right thickness. Give it a try, your back will like you for itâº.

Rickâº

• dbjc
    19 years ago

I also get mulch from Weaver's. You have to buy the dyed kind for it to stay dark all summer. Of course its more expensive, but I find that I can get away with only mulching every other year since it still looks good the second year.

• MaxBaerHems
    19 years ago

Another Helpful Hint...if I may. If you want that very dark, almost black look or plan on using another of the "Dyed" (Red) mulches. Instead of paying the 32.00 or more per scoop for dyed Mulch and doing all your beds this way. I suggest you use the cheaper, non-dyed Mulch, first, lay down 2-3 inches of the less expensive type, then top dress (Top Inch) with the dyed Mulch. Saves alot of money and the the plants don't care what colour you use..LOLâº. The plants just want the more constant ground temprature, the more consistent moisture content in the soil and of course the slow break down of the Mulch, developing better soil.
    Good Luck, Rickâº

• naturenut_pa
    Original Author
    19 years ago

thank you all for the input. i think i'll stop by the nursery tomorrow and set up a delivery. it appears that i'll save just a bit of $$$ that way, and it's much more convenient than making 2 or 3 trips (i don't think i could fit more than 10 bags in my car at once). i know i'll have to shovel and cart it around, but that's okay. that's just shedding some winter pounds ;-)

i wasn't sure what a tri-axle delivery was, so i did an online search. um, wow. i wish i had enough plants to warrant having tri-axle delivery!

• carol23_gw
    19 years ago

Just remember hardwood mulch near houses or cars tends to give off artillery fungus. If you have white siding on your home or a white car next to a flower bed by the driveway, you likely will see dots of the fungus later on. Pine bark does not do this, I am told.
    PS The dyed stuff detracts from the garden..... it's not natural in my opinion and does not enhance the look of plants.

• naturenut_pa
    Original Author
    19 years ago

hi carol23,
    yes, i had read that before. that fact instigates quite a few arguments in this household. the flowers that grow next to the house must do so without the aid of mulch. i believe the rule is 30 feet. i did not know, however, that this did not apply to pine bark. all this time i've been mulching with pine bark, but not allowing any near the house!
    i won't be using the hardwood mulch near the house, it will be used quite some distance away. i agree about the dyed stuff also...not so much because of the look, but because the odor is terrible.

• dlflad
    18 years ago

It is possible to 'defeat' the artillery fungus by making sure to turn the top 2-3 inches of mulch several times a year. It shoots when the temperature remains at a nice warm 70 (I think -- will check) for 2 days in a row. Obviously if you turn the mulch over, it will be less likely to be on top when the time comes. Also, I've heard there is no easy way to break-down the fungus once it attaches to your car/house. It tends to need a solvent-based remover which plays havoc with paint and vinyl.

• william_lennon
    17 years ago

Mulch delivery.
    If you are looking to find how to convert bags to yards for bulk mulch check out the mulchcalculator at this site:
    http://www.mulchdelivered.com

Also local competitors prices are lsited here so you can compare which mulch is right for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: mulchdelivered.com serving PA, DE, & NJ

• Mike Larkin
    17 years ago

tends to give off artillery fungus

I have never had Artillery fungus from mulch. Have been mulching for 30 some years. I bet if you switch to another vendor you may have better luck.
    I would not generalize about a product that varies so greatly.

• mwoods
    17 years ago

Living in Pa. we have the luxury of being able to get mushroom soil by the loads. I never use hardwood mulch on any of my gardens,always compost of one kind or another and usually it's mushroom soil,which is a combination of manure and grasses put through a sterilization process. My roses love it as does everything else.

• nzracer
    17 years ago

also be wary of dyed mulch , is normally bad wood, thatdoes nothing for you garden, and in same cases makes the soil worse, try to alway use either hardwood, bark or pine mulch, we go though about 70 yards a week in the srping, and some houses we find it easier to get a tri axle delivered, and we dont really do much muclching, also we use hardwood mulch and have never seen any artillery fungus before

Sponsored