Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pa_mike

Safe date?

PA_Mike
12 years ago

Is anyone considering planting early? Traditionally we don't put out tomatoes etc. until mid-May (we're in the mountains north of Hbg - a little cooler). I figure we could use newspaper caps at night...but OTOH it's not out of the question that it could snow (historically speaking).

Any input?

Comments (8)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    12 years ago

I'm planning on planting early and protecting if necessary. Soil temps are already much higher than normal for this time of year and if we do get a real late frost, my frosted tomatoes will be nothing when compared to the massive devastation of frozen trees shrubs and pretty much every other growing thing that is also ahead of schedule.

• Mike Larkin
    12 years ago

This is the first time in many years I may do the same.
    I have peas and onions and potatoes in already. I may put a few tomotoes in and be ready to cover in case of frost. Was working the soil of my raised beds last night and it did not look too wet.
    Typically I wait until early to mid May -
    I have a cold frame so I will also have some plants in there as well.
    Keep us posted on how your crops turned out.
    BTW - what are you planting
    Mike -

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

• PA_Mike
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all. I have carrots, lettuce and radishes in, will set out onions this week. Will be planting tomato and sweet/hot pepper starts as soon as they're available, and am starting squash and cukes, (maybe pumpkins) inside this week - looks like I'll be able to set them out as soon as they're big enough. Of course I'll be prepared to protect as needed.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    12 years ago

I have a few radish and spinach sprouting Outside and the potatoes are sitting in the kitchen waiting to go in the ground. I thought I'd be safe and prestart some peas and lettuce for transplanting, but I think they would actually have done better if I just started them in the ground instead of under lights!

Normally mid may is tomato and squash planting time here, at this rate I might try mid April.

• Lauren Devonshire
    12 years ago

Weather forecast for Carlisle and Harrisbug isn't looking too good for plants for next two weeks. ABC-27 says "When the rainmaker finally exits early Monday morning, gusty northwest winds will remind us its still March and high temperatures will be in the 50s for most of next week. The initial shot of the cooler air could result in a frost or freeze Tuesday morning."

And Accuwather calling for frost Monday night. Check out Accuweather's forecast.I'm a bit freaked out by the weather,look at what is blooming.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    12 years ago

Unless the freeze is real bad things should be fine. Magnolias will frost and loose their blooms and I would protect any Japanese maples, but most things in my area (daffs and hyacinths are just starting to go strong) can still handle the mid 20s without damage... They look pathetic and go all floppy but bounce back quick.
    .... Not that I want any freezes, I'm kinda loving this early spring!

• rayinpenn
    12 years ago

I just started my tomatoes nd peppers in my new greenhouse. I hate to say it but I wish I had the greenhouse put together 3 weeks ago. I'll be planting some zukes and eggplant today. Yeah it's been crazy warm but tomatoes outside naah I don't think so.

Potatoes and peas are in. I have a big patch of lettuce growing in a mini hoop house that is doing fine. But for now that's ll.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    12 years ago

I didn't really want to test my theory, but our overnight temps for Monday are predicted at 21 degrees.... I'll let you know how things hold up :(

Sponsored