Philadelphia Flower Show 2008

beautyreddragon
16 years ago

Philadelphia Flower Show 2008

Theme is "Jazz It Up!".

Checkout my photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/beautyreddragon/

or

slideshow at http://www.flickr.com/photos/beautyreddragon/show/

Leave a comment in my Flickr Photos if you like to.

Enjoy!

Connie

Comments (6)

• Mike Larkin
    16 years ago

Connie these are great pictures - thanks

Some comments on the show.
    I liked the music this year
    Seems like there is less displays and more floor space. Maybe the comments on the crowds could be having an impact.
    I really like to see real garden (landscape) displays. Ones that look like a back yard. Each year there seems to be more floral displays. I guess not everyone has the same taste - and it is called a flower show. I have noticed that there are a few vendors that have dropped out too. Maybe cost is a factor. I do enjoy going and probably will do it again next year.

I did enjoy the Garden Expo in Harrisburg. It does not compare in size to Phila, however there were many ideas that I could do in my back yard.

Thanks again for the photos - they were great.

• nick_17815_pa
    16 years ago

I didn't get to go this year, but my brother did and he said there was a lot less displays this year as well. I agree with you I'd like to see displays. Personally I'd like to see displays that the average person could put in their backyards in PA. The same goes for TV shows...there aren't many actually GARDENing shows anymore. Victory Garden spends as much time on cooking and construction as they do flowers. Oh well its just about time to get out there and do some gardening and I won't need to watch other people do it on tv :op

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    16 years ago

I used to attend the show every year. For awhile, I had an "in" to go the day before the public opening. The Philadelphia Flower Show is a great event.

Unfortunately, I just don't like crowds. The show attracts so many people that there is grid lock around the major displays. I am the "stop and stare" type. Now that I am older, I can't physically resist the sea of people pushing me out of the way like I used to.

Sadly, the nature of the event makes it impossible to lengthen the show.

Maybe the additional floor space is to alleviate the grid lock and the crush of the crowd. I may have to try again next year.

• ghoghunter
    16 years ago

I enjoyed the show this year. I thought the colors were spectacular. I do mind the crowds though. It's just such a popular event!
    Joann

• jyber209
    16 years ago

I enjoyed the show, but is anyone else put off by the unrealistic landscapes that include plants that do NOT flower at the same time? By this I mean showing roses and astilbes blooming at the same time as daffodils, etc.

I think the show exhibitors should be required to display landscapes that could actually exist in reality. Otherwise it is very misleading to gardeners who use these displays for ideas, and to non-gardeners who develop unrealistic expectations.

I would be interested in others' thoughts on this.

THANKS!

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    16 years ago

I don't know if I would go as far as to require realistic plant combinations, but I know what you mean about being put off by flowers from all seasons blooming at once. For me a perfect display is like a snapshot of the garden just as it's at prime. To me that means no mixing chrysnthemums and daffodils with a few rose bushes!

I'm not positive on this, but I think some shows have this as a criteria for judging... but since not all exhibitors are as concerned about bringing home the gold, many might not care.

Still I enjoy all the different displays (some more than others) and it's a nice jolt of spring to get the fever going.... as if I needed any help!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction