Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chescobob

Red & Rosey: A Couple?

chescobob
17 years ago

This is Rosey. Pretty and likes to eat.

{{gwi:1107798}}

This is Red. Nice red head of plumage amd likes to eat.

{{gwi:1107799}}

I noted late last month that there was a huge amount on new chuck-chucking going on in the woods behind the house. That is when I first saw Rosey.

Over the last 2 days, I have seen two red-bellies on the same tree following one another. Red continues to come to all the feeders. I haven't noticed Rosey at the feeders. However, I now have noticed Red pointing towards a suspect tree (maybe a potential or an actual nest) and calling berrrillll, berrrillll, berrrillll. He then flies off, and before you know it, the second red-belly meets him.

I haven't been able to identify it as Red and Rosey together but I have not seen two red-bellies together before. So, I am assuming that Red and Rosey are planning to start a family.

If anyone has first-hand experience on what to expect, please let me know. I was thinking about getting a hanging platform feeder for Red with freeze-dried mealworms. Since Red chucks at me when he wants food, its fairly easy to make sure Red receives his (Rosey's and the kids') rations.

Comments (9)

• scrappyjack
    17 years ago

Awesome pictures!!

My 3yr old son and I love to watch the birds at the feeders here. We have a lovely pair of cardinals that show up around suppertime. I really enjoy teaching him the names of the birds. He gets a kick out of some of the funny things they do.

Enjoy Rosey and Red best wishes to them and hopefully a new brood! ;)

Jackie

• ninamora
    17 years ago

Isn't it lovely to live in SE PA? I'm in Lancaster County and used to frequent Chester County when my husband was in Parks and Recreation there.
    You might check at one of the local county parks for information. They usually have someone who know their stuff. Hibernia or Nottingham
    Happy birding.
    Nina

• jeannek_NEPA
    17 years ago

Hi Bob,
    Guess we'll be calling you Grandpa, soon :)
    Here is a bit I found:
    http://birdsbybent.com/ch11-20/redbelly.html - just read the whole page; the courtship tab is non-functional.
    I'm off to read more on this site. It seems interesting.

Jeanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Red-bellied Woodpecker

• chescobob
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks.

There are going to be a lot of kids here.

I don't know if this is Millie or Phillie but I did see one or both of them taking leaves down into their burrow a few weeks ago. This one took some more leaves down a few mintues ago.

{{gwi:1107801}}

• jeannek_NEPA
    17 years ago

Bob,
    I don't have those birds here. lol My neighbor has one, though.
    Years ago, my son got between a mother and the burrow...thankfully I was faster than her. She didn't like it that much.
    Jeanne

• renee_2006
    17 years ago

The redbellys that come to my yard come for the raw peanuts in the shell. They fly down to the ground for them.

Renee
    Rural SW Indiana

• renee_2006
    17 years ago

sorry I'm here by accident I followed a link in another forum

• zeffyrose
    17 years ago

We have a red-bellied that comes every day to eat-----I've nevder seen two together maybe this year we will.

Great pictures !

Florence

• Pipersville_Carol
    17 years ago

Gorgeous! Woodpeckers at my feeders seem to love suet blocks, year round.

That's a nice big groundhog!

Sponsored