Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipersville_carol_gw

50 degrees this Saturday?

Pipersville_Carol
17 years ago

Can it be true, Saturday might be warm?

If so, I'm going to garden all day. Raking out beds, chopping back old perennials, putting up small fences to keep dogs off the bulbs, moving debris piles...

Comments (10)

• rhodyman
    17 years ago

10 degrees today (Tuesday) Berk County

I put my long johns on.

The wind is very strong also. I expect some winter damage with all the mild weather and now severe cold and wind.

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

carol, like last week too. crazy weather, isn't it? i'll be out there as well doing some more clean up. spring wants to be here, i can hear it calling!

march is in like a lion, out like a lamb right?

maryanne

• mombo
    17 years ago

It was 1 below yesterday morning and when I watched the local news they said the wind chill factor in Mt. Pocono (14 miles from my house)was 23 below. That is obscene!! I am jealous of you Carol. It must be wonderful to be able to think about working in the yard by Saturday. We still have so much ice and snow here it will be many days before I will have the luxury of a good workout in the yard. Fingers crossed for the warm-up that the weathermen predict.

• scrappyjack
    17 years ago

Forest Co.

Ooooo....I'm jealous here! We're only supposed to get into the 40's. Thank goodness we didn't get the snow that they expected early this morning. We only got about 2". Still it seems that it will all take forever to melt, then we'll be into "mud season" for a long while. It will be until May before we get the garden tilled!

Jackie

BTW: our broccoli seeds sprouted this morning! YAY!

• Pipersville_Carol
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Now they're saying 45 degrees this Saturday. I'll take it, that's still better than the 14 degrees we had this week. And next week is trending even warmer, 59 on Thursday.

• blueheron
    17 years ago

Yes, I'm anxious to get out there in the garden, but it's probably too wet to work the soil. I'll have to wait until it dries a bit. Working in wet soil destroys the structure and compacts it.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

It was great that the temps here actually ended up almost 10 degrees higher than the forecast 50s on Saturday!!! A bit chillier today (Sunday), but this is closer to "normal" temps for this time of year and is better than the significantly below normal temps of the past couple weeks.

Got chance to clip back my summer-blooming clematis, which is forming buds already, and started trimming the pee gee hydrangea.

• karen_b
    17 years ago

It got as high as 62 Saturday, did some pruning and sprayed the wooly adelgids on my hemlocks with horticultural oil. Bought a 5 gal backpack sprayer at Lowes on clearance this winter, it was the best purchase I've made in a while. Unfortunately I left the dogs out with me and they were muddy messes, but they enjoyed the warmth too.

• Pipersville_Carol
    Original Author
    17 years ago

On Saturday I raked out several beds (6 wheelbarrows full of honey locust pods!) and trimmed back spirea to keep it small. On Sunday I trimmed Russian Sage and chopped down monarda. I do my autumn cleanup in the spring, so the birds can have shelter and seeds all winter long. I also think a winter garden looks prettier with last year's perennials still standing.

It felt really good to be outside, but I remembered that gardening is WORK.

• westhighlandblue
    17 years ago

I planted a star magnolia, a dogwood, and three azaleas. I moved four roses from the back of the house, to the front of the house. I put down 17 bags of mulch and formulated plans for a winding path through my back yard.

If I could have slept outside in a pup tent, like a ten year old, I would have done so. It felt so good to be outside! However, I now have the worst case of Spring Fever, and I've accomplished virtually nothing at the office, today.

Sponsored