Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pruning mums now?

Posted by vaderbanger Z6 SE PA (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 07 at 11:59

this is my second season with mums and they have grown into huge balls!
am i supposed to prune them? is now a good time? if i prune them how far down and will they produce flowers again in the early fall after being pruned?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pruning mums now?

These are garden mums planted outdoors? If so, they should be just barely showing growth. Keep pinching until July 4.

If these are ones that are growing indoors, they may not be hardy in PA. You can take some cuttings, maybe 2 inches in length, dip in rooting hormone and potting soil that you should keep wet. Wet, not just moist. After about 6 weeks you should get some rooting. With my outdoor garden mums, I take cuttings by the handful (like 40 at a time throughout the growing season), then I give away the rooted cuttings.

o

yes they are outside
they arent showing new growth what i meant was the old woody growth from last season, its huge like a giant fossilized mum lol
i wasnt sure if i should cut it down or just leave it?

o

Cut it off. As close to the ground as possible. You'll probably see (or will shortly see) some new green growth at the base. That's the stuff you should keep pinching until July 4. Don't be afraid. That's the way to make it bushy.

o

Here in South Central PA (Perry County just north of Carlisle), during the growing season, I pinch or trim back the growth until July 15 or there abouts. One time I stopped on July 4th and had blooming mums during the latter part of August and early part of September..and I was growing 500 of them to sell. I learned the hard way that July 4th was a bit too early for the weather conditions (drought) that year. So, I make my last cutting back, pinching or trimming around the 15th and that is still plenty of time for the plants to set even more buds and bloom during mid to late fall.

o

i wasnt sure if new growth was formed on the old woody stems
im such a dodo lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here