Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bella_trix_gw

Signs of Spring?

bella_trix
17 years ago

It's been 13 years since I've seen a spring in Pennsylvania, but I think I'm seeing signs of spring! In the last few days, I've noticed pairs of geese flying alone or, when around the pond, a pair set aside from everyone else. Yesterday, I heard a pair of doves coo-cooing to each other. I haven't heard that all winter. Then, I heard a blackbird singing what I swear is a "where-are-the-girls" spring song.

What do you think? Are these signs or just wishfull thinking? Can anyone help refresh my memory with other signs of spring that I should look for? I can't seem to remember the plant signs anymore.

Thanks,

Bellatrix

Comments (16)

• scrappyjack
    17 years ago

oh, don't you just love to hear the birds singing again? One of the first signs of spring for me is to see the crocus' coming up through the snow.

• Pipersville_Carol
    17 years ago

The giant flock of wild ducks (50+) was suddenly gone from our pond today, after weeks and weeks of permanent residence. That's a sure sign of spring.

And last year's woody growth on the red maples and willows is suddenly flush with color. Bright red (of course) on the maples, and bright yellow on the willows).

• sewgreen
    17 years ago

Don't laugh, but I think yesterday SMELLED like spring. Snow melting and the earthy scent...

I think too that the bird songs have changed. Still plenty of chickadees and juncos. No robins yet...

• gardenguy_
    17 years ago

No robins here in the Pgh area yet. Spring can't get here fast enough.....I'm ready to grow a lot of stuff outside!

• bella_trix
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have robins! They were hopping out on the nearby school's lawn, with that listening-for-a-worm pose.

sewgreen - I know that smell. The two things I haven't smelled since I left PA are the smell of snow coming and the smell of spring. I'd prefer to smell the latter now :).

bellatrix

• caliloo
    17 years ago

The robins never left my neighborhood this winter.... very odd.

Another sign of spring - turning your clocks ahead next Saturday! Yippee - later sunsets!

Alexa

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

Agree with Alexa - many robins never left here either, although I know there are some that normally hang around in winter. And yes, it will be interesting to see how this DST change will be. I remember the last early DST change fiasco in 1973 (when it was moved back to January) and going to school with a flashlight.

About a week ago, I noticed a large flock of gorgeous mallards in the recently redeveloped park along Lincoln Dr. near Wissahickon Ave. here in the city. Part of that redevelopment created a pond (for rain water run off) and linked it to the creek nearby. The birds were having a ball in there and were so colorful, they almost looked painted.

The one thing we will have to deal with is an upcoming cold snap for a few days next week and after that, I'm hoping we can get through this month and through April without any more bitter cold (I can dream...lol). I'm ready for spring!

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    17 years ago

A nice sign of spring here would be if the snow would melt. I'm sure if a little lawn appeared then the robins would be right there.
    I did see a grackle yesterday.... I think that's a less colorful sign of spring.? right?

Whatever the case might be, I'm ready for spring too.

• westhighlandblue
    17 years ago

Bulbs are begining to poke through in my neck of the woods.

• geoforce
    17 years ago

I've got plenty of robins, for several weeks now, and last weekend I saw a group of 6 bluebirds. This weekend, my early snowdrops (galanthus nivalis) and some species crocus just popped into bloom. Still, snow is predicted for wednesday, and temperatures in the low teens are coming.

George

• paulemar
    17 years ago

We live North, just a few hundred feet outside the city limits of Pittsburgh and we feed corn to the resident flock of wild turkeys (45) during the winter. Well today, dispite the cold and snow flurries, the older toms had bright blue heads, were all puffed up and strutting around. When I saw them in the driveway looking for their daily handout, I knocked on the window to alert them I was coming, walked out the door, said hello, and started talking to them as I walked toward the barrel of corn, and was instantly greeted by loud gobbles from the adult toms. This is the first time this year for that----so spring is at hand We just have to convince the weatherman.

Paul

• bella_trix
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This morning a song sparrow was perched right outside my window singing at top volume - despite the 16 degree weather.

I'd wondered if Grackles were a sign of spring. Two showed up at my feeder last week.

Keep thinking warmth,
    Bellatrix

• scrappyjack
    17 years ago

Forest Co.

Do you know what I'd welcome right now? A field of dandylions!!!

Even though I'm allergic to flowers, I'd love just to smell one right now!

Jackie

• Pipersville_Carol
    17 years ago

paulemar, I loved reading about your wild turkeys, they're one of my favorite birds. Our local flock is very secretive, I've only glimpsed them once or twice, creeping through the woods. Maybe someday I'll get lucky and see a puffed-up tom. It's interesting to hear about their blue heads... I recently saw a domestic turkey with a very blue head, and was amazed at how impossibly bright and clear the color was. I didn't realize wild toms were blue, too.

• bella_trix
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I just saw a pair of bluebirds where I work in Collegeville! That must be a sign of spring :)

Bellatrix

• annld
    17 years ago

I saw a couple of bluebirds in Wissahickon Park recently -- that was so exciting! My tulips and narcissus are starting to sprout. The crocuses are already budding. I happen to love winter, but spring is such a beautiful time of year.

Sponsored