Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
craftlady07_gw

Can I plant these now?

craftlady07
16 years ago

I bought some rananuculus, gladiolus, iris and Triteleia bulbs at lowes (impluse buy), can I plant them now?

I also asked this question on the bulb Forum. These will be along side of my house, in a fairly well protected area.

Thanks in advance,

~Andrea

Comments (3)

• nick_17815_pa
    16 years ago

Rananuculus - I don't think these are hardy to our area, so I'd personally wait on planting these until the weather warms up more. I'd say you'd be safe planting the iris. I'm curious what others say about the glads. I've had people tell me to dig them up every year, but I've left them in the ground and had good luck. I don't know anything about the Triteleia, is there a common name?

• greengardener07
    16 years ago

Planted my rananuculus in the fall and are blooming here. I agree with nick to wait.

I treat the glads like lilies, once you can work the ground, you should be fine to put them in.

Irises are pretty hardy, but you may not get blooms the first year you plant them.

Not sure of the other one.

Good luck and good gardening!

• witsend22
    16 years ago

The ground should be thawed enough to put in the glads if you have them deep enough that minor frosts and freezes won't get to them as they won't be up and growing until the soil warms a bit more. I would still dig them in the fall I have lost all of mine that I failed to dig in previous years. But I am in mountains and the ground does freeze down a ways.
    The iris will be fine to plant now but as mentioned before don't expect blooms this year. I have even put out dahlias this early but plant deep to keep tubers from getting frozen and to delay when they will emerge. A frost will definately kill any leaves but shouldn't hurt the tuber

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions