Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rebc_gw

raised bed flower gardening

rebc
14 years ago

Hi all,

I have a difficult spot at the end of my driveway that I would like to landscape. It has 2 ash trees growing at the edge, with a ton of periwinkle and euonymous bushes. Everything looks scraggly and ugly. It is across the driveway from my very well tended flower garden so it looks even worse in comparison.

The soil is terrible and nothing will grow in the small area I reclaimed from the periwinkle, not even Lily of the Valley. My solution is to put in 2 of these raised beds from Gardener's Supply. My issue is that the shorter, 6" deep bed might not be deep enough for flowers. I'm fine with annuals but would love to put in some perennials so I don't have to plant every year. My plan was to buy 2 beds and put the taller parts next to each other for some height interest. I will put weed block cloth down over the periwinkle (double layers) and either mulch or stones around the edges to cover the cloth where the beds don�t go. I�ve thought about containers but the area is about 17ft long and that would be too many containers to buy/maintain! So my question is, do you think that the 6" height of the shorter bed is deep enough to plant flowers or should I go with a different bed solution? I�m not a carpenter and my husband isn�t any help in these types of situations so building a bed from scratch isn�t really an option.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments (6)

• Treehgr
    14 years ago

The 6" bed would be fine for annuals. You could put the perennials in the taller sections. Or, a cheaper alternative would be to improve the soil itself, then you won't need the raised beds. Perhaps you could borrow or rent a rototiller, rototill the area, and amend the soil with compost?

One suggestion if you go with the raised bed, make sure you have good drainage below the beds. Don't use plastic mulch. I would use many layers of newspaper. It is free, will smother the periwinkle and over time will break down and improve the soil.

Good luck with your project.

• rebc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to everyone who answered. I think I'm going to put down a heavy layer of newspaper with topsoil on top of it and amend with compost and see where that takes me. It will definitely be cheaper, although it will take longer.

• greengardener07
    14 years ago

Put plenty of newspaper and cardboard down, but do not use top soil. It is too light and thin and there is not much nutrient value in it. I use the Sta Green flower and vegetable mix from Lowe's. It has a lot of organic matter and will not blow away like top soil.Everything I plant in there loves it!

Eventually, the worms and other micro organisms will eat through the newspaper and cardboard and the soil will be
    full of nutrients!

I would not rototill though. The process of rototilling will destroy the soil structure already in place. All the micro-orgaqnisms and benefical bacteria will take longer to reach your raised bed. Not to mention, there will be some new weed seeds you bring up when you rototill.

Remember to mulch!!!!!

Hope this helps!

• loretta5_gw
    14 years ago

I just bought a bed like that myself. Haven't even put it together yet. I understand we can build the soil level higher than the 6" sides. That would increase the depth right away. Is that true?

• eibren
    13 years ago

Sometimes a garden fixture (statue, large pot, etc.) can make a rougher spot in the garden look more intriguing. Contrast can be a good thing.

Also, dead tree limbs and rocks can provide borders for a raised bed and look more natural. You can purchase firewood if necessary. The wood will eventually deteriorate. leaving the bed held in place by whatever you have planted.

Just a thought.

• greengardener07
    13 years ago

Be careful with using freshly cut firewood / treelimbs!!!!

As freshly cut wood deteriorates, if it is in contact with the soil, the decomposition process will actually steal the nitrogen from the soil! Thus making the said garden bed basically sterile.

In addition, termites could be a problem, so I would not use the limbs / branches near a dwelling.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals