Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is it with all these pop-up ads with LOUD music.

Posted by rhodyman z6 PA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 10, 07 at 12:49

What is it with all these pop-up ads with LOUD music.

I have used computers for over 30 years and never had any problems. Now, chasing the "skip" buttons on these ads, I am getting carpal tunnel. When a company does things that are harmful to their customers, they are trying to go out of business.

On one add you can mute the sound. On another when you mute the sound, it opens another window which is even louder. They are OBNOXIOUS. These ads can kill this forum. That would be a shame. This forum has done so much good. Why do they have to be so greedy?!?!?!? The banner ads and sides are no problem and are warmly received. But these pop-up ads are totally OBNOXIOUS and will bring ill will toward the misguided sponsors.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is it with all these pop-up ads with LOUD music.

I am not getting any pop up ads at all.....

Maybe you need to turn a pop-up blocker on your browser? Do you use IE or Netscape or another browser? All have the option of blocking pop-ups.

Please find a way to eliminate the pop-ups, we don't want you to leave because of them. Take a look at the COmputer Help Forum, there are lots of possible solutions and if you don't see one that fits your particular set-up the folks there are really smart and happy to help!

Alexa

Here is a link that might be useful: Computer Help Forum

o
spyware

And it may be because you have spyware that ahs infected your machine. Try running AdAware or CrapCleaner to remove them and see if that helps.

Alexa

o

alexa? crap cleaner? i never heard of that one.

lately i've been getting the south beach and another one that you can't get to the skip button anymore. i have turned the speakers down.

guess i need to run cleanup -- but i am going to check on crap cleaner (laughing)

maryanne

o

LOL! Yep, crapcleaner.

A totally techie geek friend of mine told me about it and suggested I run it weekly or so... it seems to help a LOT!

BTW - it is freeware, but I usually send a donation for a product (like this) that I REALLY like and use.

Alexa

Here is a link that might be useful: CrapCleaner

o

I am using Firefox on a Mac. Firefox has a "pop-up" blocker but it doesn't stop the iVillage popups. After reading your success stories I checked the Mozilla website and found an add-on that does the job.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adblock Plus for Firefox

o

rhodyman - try that one and also an extension called "RIP" as well as "Flashblock". Those take care of everything here and about 99% of stuff at other sites.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here