Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crocus flowers eaten... by what?

Posted by rosie_pa Central PA z6 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 18, 06 at 13:32

Does anyone know what eats crocus flowers? Each day I find the petals on the ground and some of the stems look bitten... have never had this before. I'm in a new location this year and my yard is fenced. Is it birds, squirrels, rabbits?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crocus flowers eaten... by what?

• Posted by janetr Ottawa USDA 4a (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 18, 06 at 14:52

Probably squirrels. Crocuses are their favourite bulb. I even had squirrels try munching on daffodils! They gave up quickly, but not before ruining the flowers.

Warning, if you have lilies, they love to chew on newly emerging lily shoots. I cover mine with 2 L. pop bottles with the bottoms cut out.

Image hosting by Photobucket

By the time the lilies are tall enough to be cramped in the bottles, the squirrels usually aren't interested any more.

o

I think it is the squirrels. I don't even bother to plant tulips any more, because those suckers just wait until the buds are getting ready to open and then snap them off and leave them behind! Arghhh!!!!!!!

o

Tue, Mar 21, 06 at 10:55

Grammie, I've heard that they turn their noses up at the botanical tulips. You might try a couple. This will be my first spring for tulips, because I lived in an area positively infested with squirrels. I could never look out the window or door without seeing one - or more! - rooting through my flowerbeds and pots. There are not so many here, but old habits die hard. Bloodmeal is also an effective deterrent, but it has to be reapplied frequently.

o

Thanks Jane. I will try that next year. I love tulips. Where do you get the botanical tulips?

o

Tue, Mar 21, 06 at 18:27

Grammie, ask in the bulb forum. I live in Canada (but will probably be moving to PA next year), so I don't know American suppliers.

Janet

o

Definitely squirrels. I had the same problem, couldn't figure out if it was the dog itself or something else. One morning we let the dog out for her break. ( fenced in yard ). About a minute after we let her out, we hear a little bit of barking then silence. I looked out the window and she had a dead squirrel in her mouth. Our crocuses are fine now. : )

o

I finally did see the squirrels in action. I didn't realize they bothered vegitation... I thought they only ate bulbs and emptied the birdfeeders. ~Rosie

o

I think right now the squirrels may be digging up and eating the bulbs for water it's been so dry. I am keeping 3 birdbaths filled to keep the little vermin happy.They still dig though.

Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here