Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diykestrel

Transplanting / Dividing a Bleeding Heart & Peonies.

When is the best time to transplant and divide a large bleeding heart and some Peonies? Looking online I have found "Experts" pushing late fall, late summer and early spring.

While outside with the kids yesterday I noticed that I have a bleeding heart that is already about 2" tall. This one grew much larger and faster than expected and I need to divide it and move it over about a foot or so.

Is it okay to do this so early in March? Will it still bloom this year if I move it now?

This plant is in a corner and I'm also thinking that instead of digging the whole thing up and moving it out a foot I might just cut out the back half that is in the corner, transplant that, and leave the rest where it is? Does that sound doable?

The Peonies are still dormant? Can I divide and move these now? Would they still bloom this year?

Are there any tricks to dividing these? I know I need to be super gentle with both. I was told to dig far out and around the plants to avoid the roots so that I could carry them as a giant ball. I can do that but then what about dividing them? Do that after they are in their new home?

I'd appreciate any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

Comments (4)