Helianthus decapetalus

Goodyera pubescens

Clematis integrifolia

Selaginella braunii

Pimpinella major "rosea"

Plantago major "variegate"

Patrinia scabiosifolia

Campanula trachelium

Has anyone grown them? How do they behave? Do you think dappled light, zone 6/7, somewhat ammended clay soil would work for them or not? Can any of them be easily started from seed? I've been playing with plant books again, no one I know has grown these, and I'm always looking for practical, hands on advice. So if you've killed any of them (or gotten them to flourish) -- please let me know.

Springcherry

Comments (7)

• blueheron
    19 years ago

I've grown both the campanula and the patrinia. The campanula probably would do ok in dappled sun, but the patrinia needs full sun to do well.

• neverenough
    19 years ago

Hi all, I've been lurking here for the past few days - usually hang out at the Hosta Forum. But I think now is as good a time as any to jump in here as well.

I have Clematis integrifolia in full sun and it still needs some support. Planted in unamended soil that drains freely. Do not know about growing from seed, got mine as a nice sized plant growing in a gallon container.

Found this info at mobot.org The Missouri Botanical Garden

Common Name: Solitary clematis
    Zone: 3 to 7
    Plant Type: Herbaceous perennial
    Family: Ranunculaceae
    Missouri Native: No
    Native Range: Central Europe to central Asia
    Height: 1.5 to 3 feet
    Spread: 2 to 3 feet
    Bloom Time: May - September
    Bloom Color: Blue
    Sun: Full sun to part shade
    Water: Medium moisture
    Maintenance: Medium
    General Culture:

Grow in fertile, medium wet, well-drained loams in full sun to part shade. Plant stems tend to be weaker and sprawl more in part shade. Roots should be kept uniformly moist and cool (e.g., apply 2" mulch).

Noteworthy Characteristics:

Native to shrubby areas, meadows and stream banks from central Europe to Russia and China, solitary clematis is a woody-based, erect-stemmed, non-climbing clematis that typically grows in a dense, somewhat sprawling, shrubby mound to 12-18" tall. Solitary, violet to blue, nodding, bell-shaped flowers with recurved and often twisted sepals and creamy white anthers bloom from May to July, with continued sporadic bloom sometimes occurring throughout the rest of the summer. Each flower (to 2" long) appears singly atop its own slender stalk (pedicel to 8" long) rising above the foliage. Sessile, ovate to lanceolate, entire, green leaves (to 5.5" long) form dense foliage clumps. Flowers give way to attractive, plumose, silvery green seed heads.

Problems:

No serious insect or disease problems. Plants tend to sprawl and may need some support.

Uses:

Best massed or in large groups. Rock gardens, border fronts, cottage gardens, wild gardens or meadows.

© Missouri Botanical Garden, 2001-2004

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    19 years ago

I just got the patrina last summer, so I have yet to see if it does well, so far so good, it handled my usual abuse and was already weak from sitting on the "bargain rack" potbound and dry. I bet it's easy to grow from seed although I missed collecting seed from my own plant last fall.

I think the Plantago needs strict deadheading or it will quickly become weedy.
    Frank

• springcherry
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks all for the information. When I try the clemantis and patrinia I think I'll put them where I get about 4-5 hours of miday sun -- sounds like dappled shade wouldnt do.

Springcherry

• ArborBluffGirl
    19 years ago

I grow mitchella repens aka partridgeberry. It prefers acidic soil and grows enmass among pine forests. I planted it two years ago and it is just starting to take off. It grows in dappled sunlight or part sun.

The Goodyera pubescens is a native orchid. It grows in wooded/forested areas. I planted it a few years ago but it didn't come back in my yard. As I understand, the soil should be acidic and on the moist side with bright indirect sun or part am sun. My experience with campanulas is that they spread and take over where ever they are planted. Not sure if that holds true for this variety or not.

• springcherry
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you ArbourBluffGirl.

Springcherry

• carol23_gw
    19 years ago

I grew Pimpinella major 'rosea' from seed from Hardy Plant Society. I love the plant and it seems to self sow a bit in the garden. I don't have clay soil but imagine it would do well as long as drainage is good.
    {{gwi:1108001}}

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus