Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jesmello

DEER!!! Already

jesmello
18 years ago

Well the deer have started with me a little early this year. I HAD a nice little patch of tulips coming up until yesterday morning. I was taking my afternoon walk with my dog and saw I now only have a mowed off tulip patch. My husband said he saw them out there before he went to work. He, being the deer lover he is, just watched them of course. I need a nice way to keep them out of that flower bed. It is too far away from the house for the dog to bother them. Someone recently told me to set out bars of Ivory soap. Anyone ever heard of that working? Got any other ideas?

Comments (8)

• janetr
    18 years ago

I can't speak from personal experience, but I had heard that it was Irish Spring soap.

A tip I read in a magazine once was to tie white plastic shopping bags onto some nearby branches (not too high). Apparently the deer read them as a danger signal (think white-tailed deer) and skedaddle. It certainly couldn't hurt to try. Sprinkling a little bloodmeal might also help, but that would get expensive in the long run.

• mwoods
    18 years ago

Deer Be Gone and all those sprays work if you do it religiously and alternate them. Our deer have never left. They munched away all summer,fall,winter and are still at it. I looked out the window yesterday and there were at least 20 of them in my neighbor's pasture.

• caliloo
    18 years ago

Save the soaps for the shower. I tried that a couple of years ago - no luck. The biggest insult was the deer hoof print in the middle of a squishy rained on bar of Irish Spring.

Liquid Fence is the only thing I can rely on, though I do use bloodmeal also. I figure if nothing else I am giving the plants a little fertilizer boost.

Alexa

• geoforce
    18 years ago

The deer never leave here either. I shoo a herd out of my flower beds every day or so, all winter long. They eat the new leaves on the semievergreen daylilies clear into the ground.

George

• Pipersville_Carol
    18 years ago

"The biggest insult was the deer hoof print in the middle of a squishy rained on bar of Irish Spring."

LOL! Still laughing...

I gave up on trying to repel the deer, and only plant things they don't eat. So no tulips, but loads of daffodils.

• mgood4u
    18 years ago

Funny, funny visual of a deer muttering unmentionables will grinding his hoof into the soap!!!! lol

• daylilyaddict
    18 years ago

They have been around here all winter and are bold as brass !! When I come home they stand in my driveway and glare at me as if I am driving through their restaraunt !!!
    Last spring and summer, I sprayed liquid fence, but it gets quite expensive to reapply after every rain !! I made little Queen Anne foil collars for all my daylilies last summer that worked, but if I missed one bud...whoosh it was gone !! Has anyone tried the motion activated water spray ??

• bobntess
    18 years ago

I have the Con-Tec Scarecrow motion activated water spray and it works well. Very amusing to see the deer take off when they activate it - same goes for unsuspecting friends and family! It is adjustable and the herd learns pretty quickly to avoid the area - but they will come back now and then so it's best to leave it activated.
    On the negative side you will need a water supply, have to disconnect and drain in freezing weather, and it has a tendency to get false activations on a windy day.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor