Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lettuce/Spinach Earliest Planting Times?

Posted by treehgr z6/N. BUCKS, PA (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 20, 09 at 15:27

What is the earliest I can set out lettuce? I have about 12 plants growing now. I was aiming for mid-April? What is the earliest to sow spinach? Someone told me a rule of thumb is when the dandelions come into bloom the soil should be warm enough for sowing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lettuce/Spinach Earliest Planting Times?

Good question. I was wondering the same thing. I live in south central PA on the dividing line between 6A and 6B. I actually considered sowing leaf lettuce this weekend.

o

I sowed lettuce and spinach today. My brother in West Chester did his lettuce and onions last weekend. But my lettuce was seeds. Maybe plants should be a little later because of foliage.

o

I planted lettuce seed, spinach seed and peas today.

o

We planted lettuce today in Lanc County too....

o

I have fairly large size spinach already growing from seeds in the ground left over from last year. So far, I've planted lettuce, argula, broccoli rabe, onions, potatoes, peas and Swiss chard.

o

I direct-sowed lettuce about two weeks ago and it's coming up now. I've never started lettuce indoors, not sure when you can put it out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here