Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dianna_kerr

Writing a paper and need input!!

I am studying Horticulture. For my trees class I need to discuss 10 trees that are gaining popularity in PA and 20 that have fallen out of favor and why.

I was hoping someone could think of at least a few. My mind is a blank.
The only one's I can think of that are over planted here where I live are Bradford Pear, Crepe Myrtle, and that's all I got......
Please? Any thoughts at all would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments (7)

• stimpy926
    11 years ago

White Pine, Pinus strobus. Should be used as a temporary screen, but many times left in place, getting bare on the bottom, branches breaking in snow and ice

Acer platanoides, Norway Maple. Thick surface roots and dense canopy make growing anything nearby or underneath impossible. Non native

Ditto for Silver maple...is native. One in ten will fall during storms.

Here is a link that might be useful: More

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Certain species of Dogwoods do not do well and are dying off. The Kousa Dogwood is growing more popular as it is not affected by anthracnose. Arborvitae is overplanted. It seems all new construction has arborvitae, I suppose because they grow fast but they also get overgrown fast.

• luseal
    11 years ago

Enough with the common âÂÂlonesomeâ white pines. If you must âÂÂpine it", choose something different in the pine family. A great pine tree is a limber pine (Pinus Flexis). Look them up. White pines are often over used and even incorrectly used. They are not that great for a privacy fence. As they age, they lose their bottom branches and you lose your privacy. On the other hand, limber pines not only keep their bottom branches, but the bottom branches get fuller. Also, limber pine does not easily crack under the stress of March winds, hurricanes, and heavy snows. You can actually tie a knot in a branch and it will not crack or break, hence the name-limber pine (flexis). Look it up. It is a wonderful and beautiful tree.

• demeron
    11 years ago

Stewartia seems to be loved by all, as does Sweetbay Magnolia.

• pclaire
    10 years ago

I don't have any numbers to back this up, but maybe you can see if black walnuts have fallen out of favor? I never knew this before I bought my current property, but the toxicity of the tree makes it a PIA to have near beds. And I am also not sure what impact the Thousand Cankers disease is having on whether or not anyone wants to plant them anymore. Not sure if that helps. It was the first thing that came to me when I read your post. Good luck!

• chrizty
    10 years ago

Silver maple's They grow fast but then you end up with seedlings all over.
    I have them lined around my property and love them. so pretty when the leaves turn up. But I'm also always pulling seedlings out of everywhere!

• Mike Larkin
    10 years ago

Japanese Maples seem to be slowly growing in popularity, clients like the fact that they have a nice small, colorful leaf. I have see many of the weeeping planted - sometimes in spots where they will outgrow their space. You are starting to see a nice variety of maples at many of the big box garden centers.
    Bradford pear has slowy worked inself off many nursery lists, altough still listed by many city tree commissions as a great street tree - I guess they dont see all the broken limbs on BP after storms !

I have seen a slow increase in people planting slow growing conifers - many clents have smaller yards and are careful with their plant $$. Rather than a common blue spruce, they may opt for a cultivar like Picea pungens 'Fat Albert', 'Globosa' or 'Montgomery' - better color and a little smaller or some clientes tiered of the same plants as their neighbors using more of the weeping conifers like weeping norway spruce and weeping white pine.

Out are Norway maple, Silver maple, and slowly native dogwood and replaced with more Kousa dogwood.

Undeplanted is native Fringe tree - Small bushy tree, that has a spectacular white flower in the spring ( right now in PA)

Good luck on your paper.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Design Ideas - My blog

Sponsored