Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rebc_gw

frost date

rebc
17 years ago

Does anyone know the frost date for Zone 6?

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• nick_17815_pa
    17 years ago

For me the last frost date is May 15th of course that can be a couple weeks either way depending on the weather. Most people use memorial day as their planting just to be safe.

• blueheron
    17 years ago

In Lancaster Co, they use May 15 for the last frost date. However, April 20 is usually the actual date of the last hard frost.

For heat-loving plants and veggies, I use the May 15 date. Otherwise, tomato plants, etc., just sit in the soil until it warms up.

• scully931
    17 years ago

I wish all the places I ordered from read this post! I've been receiving plants for weeks! :-/

• bezbeads
    17 years ago

I think that the date of the last frost is May 15. I start planting hardy perennials shrubs and trees much earlier (if they are hardened off or dormant - some things I get from the west coast or south are too tender to put in immediately without protection)- end of March or anytime in April.

Heat loving veg (tomatos, peppers) i wont plant till Memorial Day, or seeds for plants like beans or cukes which will just rot or sulk till the soil warms up. Lettuce and cabbage type plants appreciate the cool weather, as does the gardener who does not like to sweat.

• rhodyman
    17 years ago

Here in Reading, PA it is May 15 also. But, be sure to read the weather report before planting. We have had a killing frost on May 15th and on into May 16th. Don't ASSUME.

• hoehum
    17 years ago

It really depends on where you live. Call the gardening shops in your area to see what they say. (The 'feed mill' or those who sell lots of varieties of perennials are the most reliable--don't bother calling the mart stores or Home Depot). For me, it's definitely late May and Memorial Day weekend is the earliest for planting things like tomatoes or Impatiens.

I'm a good 2 if not 3 weeks later than Pittsburgh which is also in the same zone.

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

every year i use "mother's day" as a starting point. has never failed me yet.

• busylizzy
    17 years ago

Yep May 15th in my hill too, although I have seen killing frost 5 years ago Memorial Day week.
    I plant by the moon so anytime after May 15 th use.

• johnb_17756
    17 years ago

Sure glad I joined this forum, least I get tips like these to refresh my ancient rememberances!
    Spent weekend with gkids help reclaiming 10' of my planting area that was overgrown with crysthia ?(sp) attempting to ready my soil (garden area) since here in Muncy (a little north of Bloomsburg) it is still a little too wet too till.
    Last years garden was a couple tomato plants in 5 gal buckets along with pepper plants that did not produce much, but I must admit they were put in very late like when most of you were enjoying the fruits of your labour, sure hope I can do better this year!
    Thanks for the tips,
    John

• juanbuck
    17 years ago

It depend on your micro-climate. A few yars back we had one on May 22 in southern York County near the Maryland line.

• paul_richards_haverford_com
    13 years ago

I just checked Weather.com for my zip code and the average temp is around 40 for the rest of April. I live in Zone 7 in PA. I hope the Tomato and Lettuce plants that I just moved outside will survive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Terranpin Cove

Sponsored