Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
frost date

Posted by rebc z6pa (rcesarz@comcast.net) on
Fri, Mar 30, 07 at 15:44

Does anyone know the frost date for Zone 6?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: frost date

For me the last frost date is May 15th of course that can be a couple weeks either way depending on the weather. Most people use memorial day as their planting just to be safe.

o

In Lancaster Co, they use May 15 for the last frost date. However, April 20 is usually the actual date of the last hard frost.

For heat-loving plants and veggies, I use the May 15 date. Otherwise, tomato plants, etc., just sit in the soil until it warms up.

o

I wish all the places I ordered from read this post! I've been receiving plants for weeks! :-/

o

I think that the date of the last frost is May 15. I start planting hardy perennials shrubs and trees much earlier (if they are hardened off or dormant - some things I get from the west coast or south are too tender to put in immediately without protection)- end of March or anytime in April.

Heat loving veg (tomatos, peppers) i wont plant till Memorial Day, or seeds for plants like beans or cukes which will just rot or sulk till the soil warms up. Lettuce and cabbage type plants appreciate the cool weather, as does the gardener who does not like to sweat.

o

Here in Reading, PA it is May 15 also. But, be sure to read the weather report before planting. We have had a killing frost on May 15th and on into May 16th. Don't ASSUME.

o

It really depends on where you live. Call the gardening shops in your area to see what they say. (The 'feed mill' or those who sell lots of varieties of perennials are the most reliable--don't bother calling the mart stores or Home Depot). For me, it's definitely late May and Memorial Day weekend is the earliest for planting things like tomatoes or Impatiens.

I'm a good 2 if not 3 weeks later than Pittsburgh which is also in the same zone.

o

every year i use "mother's day" as a starting point. has never failed me yet.

o

Yep May 15th in my hill too, although I have seen killing frost 5 years ago Memorial Day week.
I plant by the moon so anytime after May 15 th use.

o

Sure glad I joined this forum, least I get tips like these to refresh my ancient rememberances!
Spent weekend with gkids help reclaiming 10' of my planting area that was overgrown with crysthia ?(sp) attempting to ready my soil (garden area) since here in Muncy (a little north of Bloomsburg) it is still a little too wet too till.
Last years garden was a couple tomato plants in 5 gal buckets along with pepper plants that did not produce much, but I must admit they were put in very late like when most of you were enjoying the fruits of your labour, sure hope I can do better this year!
Thanks for the tips,
John

o

It depend on your micro-climate. A few yars back we had one on May 22 in southern York County near the Maryland line.

o

I just checked Weather.com for my zip code and the average temp is around 40 for the rest of April. I live in Zone 7 in PA. I hope the Tomato and Lettuce plants that I just moved outside will survive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Terranpin Cove

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here