Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pipersville_carol_gw

Clearing sticker bushes

Pipersville_Carol
15 years ago

YAY! I just finished a huge project that has needed doing for years.

The front treeline (about 60 feet wide by 500 feet long) has been a snarled mess of multiflora rose ever since we've lived here. I finally couldn't take it any more, and spent the last 10 days detangling and clipping down roses. Turns out there were some decent-sized trees hidden in there and lots of baby cedars.

Now I've got two huge stickery brush piles and a clean woodland we can actually walk through. My husband is amazed, he can't figure out why I would take on such a huge unpleasant task. What can I say, I'm a gardener!

Next step - replanting the understory with native shrubs and blue cedars and flowering groundcover. Should take me another nine years...

Comments (11)

• caliloo
    15 years ago

Wow Carol! You feel like coming to help me tackle the same sort of mess jsut past my back yard?

But seriously, what sort of protective gear did you wear? It seems even when I have on long sleeves, A denim jacket, heavy jeans, boots and eye protection I still end up looking like I was trying to tame tigers for Seigfried and Roy. Also, did you just wade in and start hacking? Did you paint the cut ends with round-up? I think multiflora suckers something fierce when it is cut......

If you have a game plan, I would love to hear it because I can't stand that stuff near my yard!

Alexa

• mombo
    15 years ago

It's always such a feeling of accomplishment when a huge garden task is completed. It also opens up the area for new and improved plantings. Pace yourself Carol. Lots of days ahead to get out there and organize. I bet you will be at the local nursery this weekend getting new ideas and purchasing some items. I don't know if you would like these groundcovers but I have good luck with vinca and lamium as ground covers under pines. Lamium is a favorite of mine because of their green and white leaves and they have pink, purple or white flowers. They also pull right out of the ground easily if they become a bit too aggresive.

• Pipersville_Carol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I like that lamium idea, hmmm. I wonder if deer eat it. It would be nice if some native plants appeared by themselves, now that the competing vegetation is gone.

Caliloo, here's what I wore:

safety glasses
    thick gloves with leather palms
    knee-high rubber boots
    a heavy old quilted canvas coat
    a knit hat
    corduroy pants, worn OVER the boots to keep thorns out

Tools were:
    Hand-held Felco pruner
    Large long-handled pruner

"Technique":
    I'd back in to the plants, pressing the canes away with my body until I could see the base of the shrub. Then I'd lean over to clip the small stems close to the ground, switch to the large pruner for the thick stems, then I'd back out again, grasping the cut stems and ripping them out of the trees as I went. It was tedious ugly work but not really all that hard.

Dragging the stickers away to pile them up was almost as much work as clipping them down.

I'm at it again today... found some more big stickery clumps in other areas.

• stimpy926
    15 years ago

Music to my ears Carol....hooray for you! I wish more homeowners would do this. So depressing to see all the properties with a mess of invasives growing just off their mowed lawns.

The rose will return though won't it? How about herbicide painted or pointedly sprayed on the stems left after the cutting.

• Pipersville_Carol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, I'm sure the roses will return. They will out-live me for sure. It's a never-ending battle.

I try not to use chemicals in the garden, but if the stumps start leafing out I might spray them with Roundup over the summer.

• mombo
    15 years ago

Deer don't like Lamium or Vinca. I've never had any problems with either. That being said though deer will taste lots of things and if they don't like it spit it out. They are ignorant buggers. Too bad they don't like your sticker bushes but that would be too much to hope for. SIGH!

• sweet_blooms
    15 years ago

Hello Carol, you and I are in the same zone area, but I see you live somewhat North of me. I'm in the South Hills area. I was reading your post and decided to do the same thing with the wooded lot area next to my house. It's been a mess for years, so Hubby and I decided to start clearing it out. There were about 3 dead trees in the lot, and somekind of vine growing everywhere,(which killed the trees in the first place). There is a bush that has very sharp dagger like spikes coming from it. Hubby cut down all the dead trees and I started cleaning out the rest of the mess. YOu are right, it's a job that will take many days to accomplish. No one uses the property. I would like to roto-till some of it, and plant some wild flowers in the area. But Carol, it's so much fun, taking an area that was a mess and turning it into something nice to look at! Be good and Happy Gardening! Karen

• stimpy926
    15 years ago

Hi sweet....be careful of that 'somekind of vine growing everywhere', could be dormant poison ivy. If you're allergic, it is still lethal at this time of year if you come into contact with the roots.

One of these days I have to re-attack our front roadside bank. Trouble is it's so steep, and I'm getting old. I have the oriental bittersweet infested, and Ailanthus continually sprouting there.

• eibren
    15 years ago

The older roots of climbing poison ivy often have centipede-like rootlets lining the lower portions of the vines--helps to identify them.

• Pipersville_Carol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Now that it's sticker-bush free, I've been planting my new woodland garden with extra plants from the main part of the garden... valerian, tansy, winter aconite, and lemon balm so far this week.

The scale of the space is so big, my little transplants seem like they'll never have any impact!

• ladyslppr
    14 years ago

Sweet_blooms, I would be very careful about rototilling in the woods. If you have a small area that you can carefully garden in, then it should be OK, but if you till a larger area, you'll be giving invasives an even easier time taking over than they already have had. I have had much better luck thickly mulching areas where I have removed invasives, and tilling (I use a shovel) only places where I an going to plant. You'll still have to watch carfully for invasives coming up in the mulch, but it will be a lot less, and each year you'll see fewer.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm