Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elongrad97

What's Popping Up in SE PA?

elongrad97
19 years ago

I was cleaning out my flower bed over the weekend and low and behold...Iris, peonies, and gladiola were poking up through the mulch! I also see eyes on my roses and my hydrangea. I cut back the rose bushed to about 12". Spring is here! Unfortunately, so are dandelions...they're in bud now.

Comments (20)

• Treehgr
    19 years ago

We are having a really late start this year. My day lilies are just popping up, along with a small cluster of sedum. My snow drops have JUST developed buds.

What a slow spring this year!

• mwoods
    19 years ago

Another Bucks County person here and it's mud,day lillies and daffs just coming up. That's about it....sad sad sad.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    19 years ago

My witch hazel finally bloomed..... the day it poured rain for 24 hours! I'm just getting some snowdrops now and hoping that the next two days melt the last snow that's sitting around. I did see a robin last weekend.... welcome back spring.

• earthlydelights
    19 years ago

i usually have flowers to cut to put at the table on easter, but not this year

however, crocus all blooming, tulips, daffs and hyacinth are all sprouting, yet i can see the flower bud on the hyacinth. seedum is popping up, as are a few hosta. green on the mums is coming to life.

it's too beautiful to be inside today, so out i go to do more clean up and planting and maybe finding more in bloom.

• jjdbike
    19 years ago

My snow drops are just about done. My crocus are peaked and my hyacynths and grape hyacynths are cooming up quickly. Daffs on their way. Sedum popping through the soil. Daylilies showing leaves. Bee Balm starting to leaf. Cardinal flower starting to leaf as well as assorted perenials in my butterfly garden (anse hysop, cone flower etc.). Pinks foliage are starting to show some color and my lambs ear is spreading. Still waiting for the forcythia to bloom before I prune my roses. I love spring!!!!!! : )
    JD

• zeffyrose
    19 years ago

Bucks County also-----I just picked a couple of daffys-----Crocus are all over the yard( the little single ones that just seem to reseed everywhere)

I too wish the forsythia would bloom so I can start to prune the roses. I got a little itchy today and just had to cut off a few dead roses---Hope I didn't jump the gun.
    It was a beautiful day here in Pa. today.

Florence/zeffyrose

• billie_ann
    19 years ago

Wow, lots of Buck Countians. I've got crocus, hellebore and pussy willow blooming and just breaking the soil is dicentra, hosta, brunnera, tulips, iris, sedums, teasel, angelica, asarum, arum. Billie

• karen444
    19 years ago

Happy Spring To All
    Hi i am new i live in Jefferson Co. I have Hyacinth,Daff,Seedum,Tulips,BeeBalm,Crocus,Daylillies,and Hosta up.I will have all kinds of plants to trade. EM me at posiepeddler@hotmail.com

• the_analyst
    19 years ago

I have daffs, and tiny purple flowers, which I haven't IDed yet. Funny thing is, when I tilled last year, and incorporated new plants, I think some of the bulbs/seeds from the tiny purple flowers, flew into the yard in front of the garden; now I have flowers in the grass.

Sarah

• Pipersville_Carol
    19 years ago

I've finally had time to rake out the perennial beds this week. Lots of stuff is popping up in addition to bulbs... Daylilies, peonies, lemon balm, chives, motherwort, beebalm. This morning it's finally sunny, hooray! Maybe the daffs will start blooming soon.

• lorib_in_pa
    19 years ago

In upper Adams County, I can barely see the purple tips of my baptisias -- exciting because I hope they'll bloom this year! The Dicentra recently made its appearance, the threadleaf coreopsis, echinacea, rudbekia, shasta daisy 'Becky', salvia 'May Night', veronica speedwell 'Sunny Border Blue', Persicaria 'Firetail', and goldenrod are all showing. The cheddar pinks 'Tiny Rubies' and geranium 'Ingwersen's Variety' look green and happy already. The Austin roses broke dormancy about a week ago, though not a forsythia bloom in sight!

• springcherry
    18 years ago

I just finished my spring cleanup and have alot of the same shoots coming up that others have. This includes my Lentan roses which are sending up ... leaves. Sigh, maybe next year I will actually get blooms. The daffs thou, have started flowering, as are the Siberian squill, winter aconite and ... this amazes me, a lungwort I have tucked against a rock. I think some of the hyacinths will burst soon.

During cleanup I was amazed by the difference rocks make. Whatever is close to them and heavily mulched comes up early or never dies back all the way, while the same species a foot away is yet to break ground. I think a rock might make a half zone difference. And I think I'm going to use that knowledge when I get ready for winter next year.

Rocks in my beds, I got rocks in my beds ... (apologies to Duke Ellington)

Springcherry

• Sally_D
    18 years ago

Another Bucks County here. Wow, crocus are really late this year. They are blooming now. Dafs are coming up and roses are all coming to life. All this rain has helped.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Have daylilies, hosta, peonies, lily of the valley, and asiatic lilies all poking up. The pussy willow baby is start to open its tiny catkins (which I just noticed today). Have a mandarin honeysuckle that is leafing out and 2 lilacs that have very green and bulging buds that may actually open with leaves within the next week or so if the weather warms nicely and the sun stays out longer than a couple days (let's hope no more frosts this season as that can happen...). I was really late planting my crocuses and daffs (and did so under some adverse conditions too...lol) and hope they'll at least send up foliage this season. Haven't seen the dicentra yet - it wanted to start growing back during that warm spell in January and got a rude awakening not long after.

• hannah
    18 years ago

Almost everything's up here...'cept for my ornamental grasses...slowpokes! LOL

• Kathy46
    18 years ago

Delaware County - I have just about everything out of the ground. Blooming-windflowers, daffodils, crocusus(done).

Up are daylilies, columbine,coralbells, montauk daisy, mums,
    lily of the valley, coreopsis, hydrangea,astilbe.

Kathy

• seventowers
    18 years ago

I have anenome jap. pardancanda norrisi, phlox, delphinium becky daisy , yarrow , astilbe , tricyrtis , columbine , hosta , dianthus , grace ward is getting some green , lupine , stokisia , dicentra, huchera which did not die back fully and centurea .
    All of these are showing growth with the astilbe growing the most .

• elongrad97
    Original Author
    18 years ago

In addition, my clematis and hostas are on there way and the cut back rose bush (the one that survived) is chock full of baby leaves! And did I mention that the dandelions have appeared?? Where's my Round-Up?

Currently in bloom are avariety of Daffs and my double flowering tulips are showing their buds. Crocuses are done with the help of a little bunny friend somewhere (or my new puppy).

• witsend22
    18 years ago

I have the same here but I went ahead and potted up a bunch of bulbs ahead of time so even though I still bring them in at night I have dahlias up about a foot and have gladiolas ready to bloom. What I don't have is a lawn. The township put in sewers last fall just as it got cold and returned this week to finish up. Since there was so much erosion on the cliff where they dug the line in, it needed 3 dump truck loads of soil added. Problem ... dump truck fell through into the old septic and required a dozer to come in through remaining yard to pull it out. So I have a lawn now that is all contractors seed and straw. The birds are really loving it though.

• elongrad97
    Original Author
    18 years ago

BTW - bunny friend is confirmed. My dog found the baby bunny nest and I had the pleasure of taking one out of his mouth (unharmed). He even grew up with a house rabbit!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?