Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bulldinkie

enough rain already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bulldinkie
19 years ago

Geeze we had a flooding last Monday here we are again.My swan laid an egg last Tuesday.Usually lay1 every other day till all are laid well flood no,1 got em.Looks like no cygnets this year..

Comments (17)

• nick_17815_pa
    19 years ago

:o( The rain is really getting to me too. My yard had finally dried out early last week, the sunny day on Tuesday helped a lot, and then that wet slushy snow soaked it pretty bad, then this pouring rain all day........I've got a few puddle forming in different parts of the lawn now.
    On the happy side, it is supposed to by somewhat sunny for the next couple days. Plus its supposed to stay over freezing at night. Spring is coming slowly, but it'll be here soon.

Praying For Sun

~Nick

P.S. Hope your swan starts laying her eggs again soon!

• gerry_wyomingpa
    19 years ago

I hate to be the one to say this, but we all had best keep and eye to the weather in the next few hours, until Tuesday night...I know where I am we are expecting the Susquehanna to crest above flood stage of 22 feet.

Gerry

• caliloo
    19 years ago

Yep - the Nashaminy is nearing flood stage too. Anyone in flood prone areas I wish you (and your gardens) safety.

Alexa

• kathy_
    19 years ago

Glad to be living on a hill! Except for the rock and clay of course. I am tired of grey days. Sorry about the swans :(
    Kathy

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    19 years ago

.....and we thought Monday and Tuesday were bad!

• nick_17815_pa
    19 years ago

Rain, Rain, Rain.....that sums up this weekend. Not sure about the rest of you, but it sure is flooding here. From the predicted river levels, I'll most likely be off work for at least a day next week. What's that old saying, April Showers Bring May Flowers. If there is any real correlation to that, May is going to be bursting with color :op
    I guess I'll have to be content tending to my houseplants, or as I refer my "jungle"
    Stay Dry & Avoid Puddles
    ~Nick

• gerry_wyomingpa
    19 years ago

Here we go again!

• Organic_johnny
    19 years ago

holy moly...we had at least 5 acres underwater here yesterday! Looks like it's almost stopped now, time to go see the damage, *sigh*.

• Nemesia
    19 years ago

Rain! Rain! & more Rain! ...then some gorgeous 3 days... more Rain, more RAIN!! now today SNOW!! What gives with this weather?????!!!!! [See my post... I was planting things thinking Spring had arrived]... I think ole man Winter is back the bugger refuses to leave!! This weather totally sucks! Now, I gotta' go shovel sidewalks & the decks off - boo! Where's that Danged groundhog? May sic' the neighbors dogs after that critter!

BTW... do you still grow your gorgeous Dahlias?? You'd sent me some, but, that year, like this one it poured and everyone but 2 croaked - drowned out... and they even died!

• Sally_D
    19 years ago

I am in Yardley, PA and luckily not down by the Delaware River. Families are being evacuated again. It will crest Monday morning and they predict it will be worst than last time. On a brighter note my roses are real happy with the rain and my daylillys have really popped up.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    19 years ago

I have to echo about this rain. And to think a few years ago we were in a severe drought. It's like feast or famine. We seem to be getting every other part of the country's rain... If it hits the west & southwest, then we eventually get their leftovers. If it hits the south, then we get their remnants. If it hits the midwest, then we get their deluges... The latest is the PNW and we're sure to be getting something that originated from there too. We've been in the jetstream bullseye for sure. :\

• bulldinkie
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yes well I heard on weather we may get another doozy rain this comming Thursday and Friday.This weekend was the worst so far.

• nick_17815_pa
    18 years ago

I think I'll take a little of that rain now :op

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Ha! Be careful what you wish for. This year is by no means "normal". The weather is either feast (floods) or famine (no rain for weeks).

April here in Philly had just short of 6" of rain for the month, which is about an inch or more above normal. And that managed to come with almost half the month being totally rainless (with an 11 day straight period without rain, that tied for 2nd behind the standing record of 14 days without rain).

I know the ground water is overflowing. I think what is needed is a "normal" rainy-type day that wets the top soil, which is what tends to dry out. And bizarrely enough, we have had very very dry air so far this spring - to the point where Philly and some of the nearby counties are currently under a Red Flag Warning right today (something unheard of here). In one respect, it's a blessing because last spring, I had PM so bad on my peonies and a goldflame honeysuckle, that despite multiple treatments, they were snow-white with it. But from the distaff side, I expect any humidity-loving plants will really need to be watered more.

Oh well... guess we have to roll with the punches.

• bulldinkie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

yes now that was weeks ago.My hubby is a builder ,he said Its dry.. down deep.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Not sure where you live but it isn't that dry "down deep" here. The last rain we had here was a week or so ago late Friday night into Saturday morning (Mother's Day weekend) - a light, slow but steady rain overnight that ended by early morning, although it stayed overcast for a bit afterwards. And the weekend before that, there was enough rain to cause flooding along the River Drives and it forced rain delays for the Phillies game here thanks to majorily out-of-season wet and sloppy Nor'easter. So here, there's no way that it is that dry "down deep". I obviously can't speak for other parts of the state, which is some 300+ miles wide.

Here is the current PA Drought Information Center homepage.

USGS PA Ground Water Monitor

USGS PA Surface Water Monitor

{{gwi:1108164}}, taken from this site (where you can find your county and generate your own graph).

Philly is above normal for precipitation, although that doesn't preclude the preference for a more normal rain pattern rather than excessive one day and then nothing for weeks.

What is unusual around here is the very low humidity (in some cases, down into the 20s and even teens in some of the SE counties) and low dewpoints (in the 20° Fs - 30° Fs) on a consistent basis during this 2005 mid spring (when it's not raining)... This is something that is almost unheard of and that has already caused the issuance of Red Flag Warnings twice this month so far (including yesterday) due to the dry air (not ground). And the dry air, coupled with windy conditions, dries out the vegetation in the woods and forests, etc., causing a wild fire danger.

• bulldinkie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

As far down as a foundation of a home is dug is how dry it is here.He said its dry.We missed a few rains we were to get, just dribble.Hey he also said Im dutch so....no its been windy no rain.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!