Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ferretgirl_gw

Creeping Phlox

ferretgirl
16 years ago

We bought several creeping phlox from Lowes the other day. We planted them as soon as we got home - and for the first few days everything ws fine. We put tanbark down and then all of a sudden it started dying. Could the tanbark be killing them? Any idea on how we can bring them back?

Comments (8)

• caliloo
    16 years ago

I suspect they died from the cold. They probably were in a green house then at Lowe's under the roof area. Being out in the open was too drastic a temp swing I bet.

Hopefully more will chime in!

Alexa

• greengardener07
    16 years ago

I am not too sure of what tanbark is, so I won't answer that.

However, I think the only things that can really be planted out now with out trouble are pansies.

I saw a lot of nice stuff at my local Lowe's the other day, but I had to tell myself no as we are technically still in March. I would say the best time to plant anything other than pansies outside is in the last part of April. Wait until temps are a little bit more consistently warm. Then plant away.

I would dig up the phlox and put them back into their pots and put them in a spot close to the house, just keep some warmth near them. And Lowe's does have a one year guarantee on their plants and have never had any trouble returning anything that died soon after planting. Just have the receipt.

Good luck!

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    16 years ago

Please bring them back. You paid good money for plants that should have been ok to plant outside at this time. If you don't bring them back you just paid for a plant that will need to be nursed back to health and won't bloom again for over a year (next May probably).

• ferretgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone. The tag said they were good to up to minus 30 - and it's been no where close to that cold... but, the temp has dropped below freezing a few times. I will try digging them up and potting them near the house until it is warmer.... and see what happens.

• ladyslppr
    16 years ago

Creeping Phlox may be hardy to minus 30, but that doesn't mean a Creeping Phlox raised far south of here or in a greenhouse that has started active growth can be placed outdoors and stand up to tempoeratures far below freezing. Winter hardy plants make adjustments to their growth and their leaf chemistry as winter approaches, allowing them to tolerate cold weather. If the same cold weather would occur during summer, almost all plants would be severely damaged or killed. Your phlox experienced something akin to a freak cold snap in late spring - it had probably started actively growing because it experienced warm weather and long days, and the sudden shift into the cold killed it.

I wouldn't plant anything outside right now unless it is still dormant.

• Lcgrace Mahoney
    16 years ago

Our Walmart just got these in for $3 a plant. Does anyone know how large or fast they spread? I'd love to do them in an area above our stone wall.....with as few (and as little $) as possible.

any thoughts?? LC Grace

• floragal
    16 years ago

LC Grace,

You can have them for free if you stop by my place. I always have lots to give away. email me!

M

• Lcgrace Mahoney
    16 years ago

I'm finally back to checking the msgs here! I'd love some!! I'll send you out an email. Thanks!

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County