Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earthlydelights_gw

anyone been to the phila flower show?

earthlydelights
17 years ago

How is it this year ~~ worth going ~~ anyting in particular jump out ~~ any over the top fantastic displays?

thanks

maryanne

Comments (20)

• sarahbn
    17 years ago

I wasn't going to go I think the theme is Ireland this year. I was going to save my money and go to Longwood Gardens instead they have a native orchid expo at the end of the month.

• westhighlandblue
    17 years ago

I have plans to go on the 7th. I'll report back.

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    17 years ago

i'm thinking of going on wednesday, since i have an appointment already in town, so why waste a trip? maybe dicentra will report back, i think she works/volunteers for the PHS, if i remember reading that.

i just wasn't sure putting out $27.00 to not be thrilled.

sarah, i haven't been to LG for more years than i can remember, but i do have fond memories. that is somewhere i need to get back to.

• rhodyman
    17 years ago

The Philadelphia flower show really packs the people in. You creep through since you can only move ahead when the person in front of you moves. I like to go in the morning when they first open up. Then I know I can find a parking place and will be able to walk around at a normal pace and take pictures. Another time to go is on the last day. At the end of the last day they tear down and most remove everything. Part of the flower show is a sales area and everything that hasn't sold is marked down so they don't have to take it home. Also, many of the plants on show can be bought at a significant savings.

The theme this year, Ireland, has led to many strong opinions. Many people are disappointed that the show if full of leprechauns and other non garden things. Others are thrilled that the show has a little humor and fun.

One piece of Philadelphia Garden Show trivia.

Ernesta Drinker Ballard (1920-August 11, 2005) closed a successful horticultural business in 1964 to head up the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society and supervise its annual extravaganza, the Philadelphia Flower Show. The flower show was struggling was in danger of folding after 130 years. She expanded the flower show from four staffers to more than 100 employees.

Ballard, a horticulturist, later became a founding member of the National Organization for Women. Ballard marched on Washington, lobbied for the Equal Rights Amendment, and raised money for female political candidates. She also was a founding member of the National Abortion and Reproductive Rights Action League (NARAL), and served as chairwoman of the organization from 1989 to 1991. She co-founded "Women's Way" an umbrella support group that funds a host of women's groups, including Women Organized Against Rape, The Women's Law Project, Women Against Violence.

Ballard was a graduate of Pennsylvania School of Horticulture for Women. Today it is the Ambler campus of Temple University.

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    17 years ago

that's the biggest drawback - the crowds. not for the city and not for the sponsors, et al, but for me. if i was to go, i would attend tomorrow morning since i have an appointment in the city already. as for driving? you have to be a lunatic to drive into town and then to pay the outrageous parking. septa works just fine for me - regional rail leaves you off underneath the convention center and it's less hassle.

• Mike Larkin
    17 years ago

Went Monday, The Irish theme was too much. A large section of the garden display area dedicated to a stage for Irish dancers. Hmm thought this was a Flower Show. Not impressed.
    Cost is going up, less and less plant displays, vendors are changing from plants to non garden items.
    Best part was the lectures and the Reading Terminal Market.

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks plantman. i have been feeling that same thing - less plants - more vendors. it's been happening for the last few years. and you are right, cost more to get less.

maryanne

• mombo
    17 years ago

My husband, daughter and I went to the flower show yesterday. It was 1 below here in the Poconos in the morning and I thought it would be so much warmer down there but yikes it was brutal. We had to walk several blocks because parking was a nightmare. Several observations on the flower show are: I think they need better lighting to show off the large displays, I was not impressed with the lack of descriptions of plants, I saw several interesting plants but have no clue what they were, I also agree with other comments that there are too many vendors and not enough of the large plant displays I remember from years ago. It was an expensive day between admission fees and food. I know my family enjoyed the Reading Terminal Market more than the Flower Show and that saddened me. In fact my daughter is going to take her husband to the Reading Terminal for a day trip to Philadelphia. Gosh, my husband took pictures but I haven't had a chance to look at them. We did buy some new planting pots that have removable screen holes on the sides from England but all in all I give it a 5 on a scale of 1-10. We were looking for new ideas for the yard and really didn't see one thing that could be incorporated into our backyard space. Well, it was a day out and there were some beautiful Spring flowers to see and smell and I guess that was my favorite part. Caution, be prepared to be surrounded by lots of people. I'm happy our family is tall because at least we could see over the crowds to the displays. Can't wait for Spring in my own humble back yard.

• westhighlandblue
    17 years ago

This was my first year at the flower show. As a neophyte, I really enjoyed it.

I do agree that in some displays the flora was not labeled effectively. And the stage and vendors took up more room than the plant displays.

Still, most of the displays were large landscaping displays that incorporated water features and gave me some good ideas for my own gardens. More really is more, when it comes to gardening. The displays did a good job of illustrating that fact.

I did buy something from one of the vendors (a spiral plant support). I think the vendors are a necessary evil most. Most people are not as passionate about gardening as the folks that visit this forum.

All in all I think the Flower Show was worth the twenty-something dollars that I paid to attend, if nothing else for the reminder of Spring.

• Mike Larkin
    17 years ago

I have been going to the PFS since it was back in the other building. Don't remember the name of the building, but it was a great show backthen. The display were much more natural, and a place that you could go to get ideas. As the show moved to the Convention Center I think the fealing of the show has changed. I think that the small local shows in the areas York , Harrisburg are the places that you can go for ideas and Phila is more a place to go and see the unusual designs. Although there were a few really nice displays, like the EP Henry water feature, the overall quanity/ quality of the show is a bit disapointing.

Even the type of vendors have changed.

Phila has always been the show to see, it is big and beautiful, but it is time they PHS relook at what the visitors realy want to see.

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    17 years ago

plantman, it was the civic center where the flower show was held in the past, and yes i agree, what a fabulous show it was back in the day. i have seen a few that caught my eye since it's been in the convention center, but nothing as memorable as earlier years. i know the merchants in the area really appreciate the participants to the show, as does the city.

i was in town yesterday and considered going but as i walked through reading terminal market and fought my way through the crowds there, i had to think twice about how nuts the crowds would be at the show and if i would have a level of disappointment with the reviews i've heard of the show and fighting crowds.

i think even the home shows are the same way. years ago you cuold go to these venues and learn something from at least 90% of the exhibitors. now, it's just pushing their company/products.

i'll have to stick with the smaller venues.

maryanne

• rhodyman
    17 years ago

The Philadelphia Flower Show was started in 1829. The Show was held in an 82-by-69-foot building called Masonic Hall on Chestnut Street, where it stayed until 1841.

In 1964, the city of Philadelphia announced plans to tear down the old Commercial Museum, Philadelphia Flower Show, Inc. decided to abandon the Show for two years until the new Philadelphia Civic Center was completed. The executive director of the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society, Ernesta D. Ballard, felt visitors would lose interest if Philadelphia was without a Show for that amount of time and she persuaded the PHS's Council members to stage the 1965 Show in the 23rd Street Armory to maintain the momentum.

In 1966, the Show was presented in the lower level of the Civic Center. The PHS eventually gathered enough experience and courage to bid against Philadelphia Flower Show, Inc. for the right to put on the Show, finally winning the cityÂs approval and beginning full management of the Show in 1968. The Flower Show remained in the Civic Center through the mid-'90s. In 1996, the Show moved to its current location at the Pennsylvania Convention Center, where it encompasses 33 indoor acres, with exhibit space taking up 10 acres of the main exhibit hall. The show's expanded size and scope makes it the largest indoor Flower Show in the world, entertaining crowds over 275,000 people annually.

The Philadelphia flower show is one of the first major flower shows in the world. The Royal Horticultural Society has a long and interesting history dating from 1804. Founded originally under the title The Horticultural Society of London, by Sir Joseph Banks and John Wedgwood, its aim was to collect information about all plants, and to encourage the improvement of horticultural practice. The prototype of the Society's popular flower shows today began in the late 1820s, with a series of floral fetes held at the Duke of Devonshire's estate in Chiswick. The World Famous Chelsea Flower Show goes back to 1852 when the show was held in the RHS's gardens in Kensington, London.

• wolfe15136
    17 years ago

My friend and I are driving over to Philly tonite. I was there two years ago, and swore I'd never go back, but my kid has moved to that area, so we're meeting at the Flower Show.

Perhaps I'll see the Reading Terminal too.

Any dinner ideas for a hungry 26 year old on his birthday? Somewhere not too far, or perhaps an easy cab ride?

• sarahbn
    17 years ago

Is the Reading Terminal open at night? There's always Chinatown it's right there.

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    17 years ago

wish i had seen this post earlier. but FYI: RTM closes at 6 and sunday at 4.

maggiano's is right there wolfe and like sarah said, china town. chichi's or one of those other chain types is on filbert street (i think that's filbert). there's plenty of places right in the general vicinity.

maryanne

• Patriz
    17 years ago

I agree with plantman, earthlydelights, mombo...the show was less impressive with plant displays and it had a more commercial, high-end feel with vendors in the marketplace. Although I did like the celtic stone displays, and the Williamson Trade School display, the show seemed to be lacking any real substance for a solid floral show. I think I got more of a plant feel from Lowes in prime season. The marketplace was a disappointment, as there should have been a better variety of mid-priced items for the non-collector. I'm not sure if I even want to attend next year, and that's pretty sad.

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    17 years ago

dicentra, so sorry to hear that. i think next year i'm going to hit the smaller venues upstate - allentown, york and hopefully i'll find something similar to what the philadelphia show once was.

thanks for your input as well.

maryanne

• rhodyman
    17 years ago

The Philadelphia show is the largest of its kind in the world. But there are two components to the Phily show. One is the prizes for the best exhibits by the biggest landscape companies. The other is the commercial exhibits. It is more popular than ever. But I only go there when I am working a booth or the last day to buy stuff from exhibitors. The crowds are unbelievable except first thing in the morning.

• claysoil
    17 years ago

I'm told the best time to go is supper time! You get there as others are leaving.

To get the BEST views however, compete or volunteer. You get in before the show opens, for free, and it is great to see things without a crowd.

I did not think this was one of the best shows. Couldn't put my finger on it though.

Rhodyman, aren't the individual artistic and horticultural competitons another component? I enjoy that part the most.

As for getting ideas for your own home, some times you can. What slapped me in the face this time was impossible combinations. Like, delphiniums and asiatic lilies would not be blooming with daffodils and primrose for goodness sake!

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    17 years ago

claysoil, not at all. all those things are forced so it kind of gives a false impression/expectations. a few years back there was a total winter disply (of course pretend) with so much blooming. you know it would never have happened. it was all fantasy.

i don't think i am any longer impressed with the philly show. haven't been in years. there are elements that i do love, but not enough anymore to justify paying the amount of money they want for a ticket, fighting with crowds, etc.

i've been there in the past at all hours - told that around 3:00 is the best time to go because all the bus charters leave around that time so the place weeds out. i have found that no matter what time you go, it's still crowded.

Sponsored