Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
last frost date

Posted by gandj 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 21:47

Hello all fellow Pennsylvanians. We started container gardening last yr. Started planting around the end of march ( late, I know). This year we're planning on growing more, but I've been running into some conflicting information on our last frost date. Some sites are saying mid-May, others are saying mid-April. That's quite a difference! We live in central PA. I'm thinking that cool growing plants may be able to go out in a couple weeks!? Any ideas?
Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: last frost date

Cool growing plants can be planted right now. Last frost is usually mid-May, but some years that can be too early. Years ago it was end of May guaranteed. Just watch the weather for overnight forecasted temperatures. If you're growing frost tender plants you can just throw a plastic sheet over them if frost threatens.

o

Do Not use plastic unless you keep it totally off the plants. The plant will freeze wherever the plastic touches it. Use cloth or grow covers to cover plants when frost is expected.

o

Thanks for the info! We actually sowed radish, lettuce and spinach seed today! I was worried it would be too early, but I don't care. We gotta get started! Again thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here