Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janepa_gw

Does Greenwood Nursery sell daylilies?

janepa
19 years ago

I have started to add daylilies to my garden and would like to buy them local. I am hoping John from Perry Co. sees this and responds. I would also like to hear from anyone who knows of other locations in the central PA area that sell daylilies.

Thank you. Jane

Comments (32)

• johnfromperrycopa
    19 years ago

Interesting! I just emailed corgilvr (sp?) about arranging a trip to Greenwood Nursery in mid-April, if not before. I'm probably going to be dividing some daylily plants this spring, if I can get on that project in time. I believe they have some daylilies there. I can call or ask them when i visit them again. I just called them last week to ask when they can start digging the river birch tree I want to get and other trees, etc. They said it is still a little wet for digging. This weather today won't help that condition. There are a few "mom and pop" places around who sell daylilies and other perennials as well. There used to be one on South Middlesex road I believe and a few folks advertise in the Sentinel or some of the local advertising guide newspapers If I run across those numbers I will give them to you as well. Like I said I know I will have some big daylily clumps I will need to divide this spring, so let me know if you are interested. Some are yellow (might be a stella dora in the bunch) and some brown/red and yellow ones as well. I probably have some tags around somewhere that describe those varieties. More later...just getting back into the site after being dormant for awhile...time to start thinking about a cure for spring fever...

• corgilvr
    19 years ago

There is a daylily place near us. I think it has "Rock" in the name. They had lots of varieties and pictures of them in bloom if they weren't in that state. They had varieties I had only hoped to find. They also have really cute dogs! Care to guess what kind? I'll check on the name and post again.

• MaxBaerHems
    19 years ago

Hi Jane,
    I am not sure where you are from, but A really nice place to get some great daylilies is "Perfect Perennials". They are on the west side of York. Fanatstic people to deal with and really well taken care of Daylilies. You can see the place and about them at www.hardyhems.com Take a look and see what you think. I got my start, from them.....
    They are my new addiction.....
    {{gwi:1108229}}

{{gwi:1108231}}

Rickâº

• janepa
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Rick -thank you for taking the time to answer my post. I have printed the map to Perfect Perennials, and hope to get there this spring. Your daylilies are beautiful. Last fall I planted 76, and I have placed orders at Possum Ridge, Oakes, Patron, Joiners and Marietta. I live 40 miles north of Harrisburg, near the small town of McAlisterville - one red light, only needed to add some color : ), : ) We are just off Route 35, between the larger towns of Selinsgrove and Lewistown (which is on the way to Penn State Lion country - State College.

Corgilvr - as far as a nursery with Rock in the name, nothing comes to mind. I will check back to see if you come up with it.

John from my home county of Perry - I will be awaiting any info you can give me about Greenwood Nursery. I definitely want to visit as soon as it warms up a little.

I have another question - how do you all deter rabbits? It looks like they are eating the new shoots that are popping out of the ground. We have a German Shepherd dog and she gives chase, but she is in the house most of the time.

Thank you. Jane

• MaxBaerHems
    19 years ago

Hi Jane,
    Terrible answer for the Rabbits, but I just try and out plant what the few that hang out around here.. can eat. ..LOL I also have a German Sheperd, actually had 2 till 1 January, Then Baer passed. So now Max takes care of things for himself and his passed brother. I am located down below Harrisburg in York county. I would be glad to mail a box of DL's up to you this Spring, when I divide a few and move some other's. I will know which they will be around mid May. If you would care to check back with me and if you would like some of what I have at that time. You can just e-mail me an address and if you are willing to pay the postage I will send them up, fair enough? or trade some if you would care too.
    Rickâº
    {{gwi:1108232}}
    {{gwi:1108233}}
    Baer :o(
    {{gwi:33500}}

• corgilvr
    19 years ago

We could have a swap/get-together here in Carlisle....yard is still a work in progress as is the house. We're pretty centrally located and right off of 81 and the turnpike.

I've got iris and who knows what else!

• johnfromperrycopa
    19 years ago

The Perry County answer to the rabbit problem is rabbit stew. However, when I stopped at Perry Pest Control in Alinda (a suburb of Elliotsburg) to get something to treat my Serbian Spruce trees for the white pine weevil which attacks the central leader, I saw a SafeHeart trap which I purchased. If I catch any, I will transport them to the local game lands or a more remote area. I think the neighbor's cat has been keeping the young ones under control, but I know there is at least one adult staying out of the winter weather underneath my prostrate blue spruce. A friend of mine is opening a little garden center just north of New Bloomfield along Rt 34. The name is Hayfield Gardens. I may "tend store" for him now and then. I work for plants and for just the fun of meeting and helping gardening folk. McAlisterville? Near the thriving metropolis of Lost Creek and the Lost Creek Shoe Shop? I would think Mountain View/Side(?) Garden Center would have some DLs as well. The place mentioned on the way to York sounds like a good bet.

• johnfromperrycopa
    19 years ago

Corgilvr: The swap meet is a great idea! I just need to clean up my beds and get out there at the opportune time to divide some things. Maybe we can come to a consensus when that time might be. My yard is a work in progress as well. I have started building the knee wall for my walkway. I am still fighting this cold, but if it is not raining tomorrow, I hope to get out there and work on the base row of the kneewall - the most time-consuming part to get the first layer level. Then when I get at least the first 50 feet or so of the wall finished, I can level the foundation planting bed in that area and finish planting/transplanting some things. That would make my wife very happy. If anyone would like to make a trip to Church Road, Shermans Dale in a few weeks, I may be able to divide and ID some things then as well. Whatever works for everyone. I have plant tags/labels stuffed in a coffee can somewhere, so it would be just a matter of sorting them out to ID some of the plants. I know I have some false indigo (which they say is hard to divide and transplant), but I am willing to try anything. Also, a taller yellow-flowered plant with small flowers (some say it is a weed), but a nice weed I guess since I bought it at a nursery. I know I need to dig some Iris out of a bank this year for sure, since a wall will be placed there as well. I have some beebalm as well. Maybe a starter of a butterfly bush (think I might remove the main plant competely). Let me know if you want directions and I will send individual emails with directions.

• corgilvr
    19 years ago

I found the name of the daylily place! Mt. Rock Daylily Farm, (717)776-4788, opened Saturdays 9-4 or by appointment. They are located at 137 Goodyear Rd in Carlisle.

• zinnia_PA
    19 years ago

I have been buying from "Daylilies in the Valley" for several years and have been very pleased. The address is Box 841 Irish Valley Road, Sunbury. Irish Valley Road is about 6 miles from Sunbury down Route 890, then the farm is about another 4 miles on Irish Valley Road. We usually get there from Route 61 between Shamokin and Paxinos. She does not have regular hours at the farm, but since we are often in the area, we take our chances and stop in. She has a great selection!

• johnfromperrycopa
    19 years ago

Is that part of Rt 61 the part that goes to Kulpmont and Mount Carmel or the opposite direction. Seems I've heard of Irish Valley Road on my trips to Shamokin (that is where my Dad was born and raised)...those coal crackers are good people...

• zinnia_PA
    19 years ago

John, it's the opposite direction out of Shamokin than Mount Carmel. My husband is from Wilburton just outside of Mount Carmel and his parents still live there so we visit often. We live near Allentown

• janepa
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you all for the names of vendors. I hope I get a chance to check them out. I am sorry I have not answered before, but my husband's brother is battling leukemia at Hershey Med. Center, and my husband is his stem cell donor. With all of the trips we need to make and work, we are not home very much.

Rick, thank you for your offer. I do not have any to trade since mine are so new and the bunnies are eating some of them, but I would really like to take you up on your offer on paying the postage. Let me know any you are looking for and if I have it I will save it for you when I can divide.

There is also a vendor located near Routes 11/15 in the Selinsgrove area, but I lost the address. I think I found it on a search I once did for locations. I will let you know if I find it.

Thank you. Jane

• johnfromperrycopa
    19 years ago

Bumping this to the top perhaps. It is getting warmer. The play (Fiddler) is over. I'm getting the urge to visit Greenwood Nursery soon. I need to remove the stump before I can plant the River Birch I am going after. I will call them and get a status on how well the retail nursery is stocked these days. I suppose weekends are the best for a visit or is anyone available during the week?

• janepa
    Original Author
    19 years ago

John, I was hoping to see a message from you. I am also looking for the Blushing Knockout rose, and The Pink Knockout rose. I have the original, but I would like to add the two new colors. Greenwood Nursery was listed as a retailer for the distributer. Do you know, or can you find out, if they have any available? Sat. would be the best time for me since I work weekdays - although I have been known to take some vacation time if a nursery is really calling me.
    Thanks. Jane

• johnfromperrycopa
    19 years ago

I visited Greenwood Nursery on Tuesday afternoon. They are gradually stocking the retail area and the container shrubs and trees are starting to push buds, etc. It might be a week away from being a good time to make that initial vist (if you can keep your spring fever in check until then). They said they might get to digging the river birch for the retail area either this weekend or early next week (yippee). I guess I better get that stump removed soon. I will check on those roses, Jane. On the way home from Maguire's Ford in Duncannon this morning, I stopped at a relatively new garden center/greenhouse named New Blooms. Seems to be a pretty nice setup. They have a nice mix of annuals/perennials/shrubs and trees (I wouldn't be surprised if they get some of their stock from Greenwood). New Blooms is having an open house on Saturday, April 16th starting at 11:00. I might make a trip there on Saturday to at least get some free refreshments. There were some unusual things there - like a contorted perennial grass that caught my eye.
    When one or more are interested, I will lead the way to Greenwood or New Blooms. Oh, by the way, since Greenwood pricing is somewhere between wholesale and retail or trully wholesale for landscapers, they don't guarantee anything they sell. So, buyers beware! Note: I've had good luck with their material.

• johnfromperrycopa
    19 years ago

JanePA: Just called Greenwood Nursery. They have Pink/Blushing Knockout Roses in 3-gallon pots for $18.00. They just potted some other Knockouts of different colors in 2-gallon pots (they will be cheaper), but they are not ready to leave the nursery yet. I hope that helps. I will give New Blooms a call. I know they have Jackson-Perkins roses, but I understand that the Knockouts are not JP's. Hope this helps.

• janepa
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, John. Yes, it sure does help. I will let you know when I plan to visit.
    Thanks again. Jane

• corgilvr
    19 years ago

Don't forget me! I don't know what I'm looking for, but I'm sure they have it!

• johnfromperrycopa
    19 years ago

Yea for sure. They still have the greenhouses covered and haven't finished digging trees and shrubs completely, but they have tons in containers out in the nursery area. I just talked to my (step) daughter at college and she wants to go fishing sometime this weekend when she comes home. We'll see if that happens. She says she doesn't want to get up early to eat breakfast out and then go fishing. That is my preference, so we may go Saturday evening instead (if at all). I am waiting for a call from Greenwood to notify me when the river birches are dug. In the mean time, I need to finish digging out the old stump in the spot where the clump river birch will go. My wife and I ate at the Middle Ridge Tavern Friday night and had a good meal. It is along one leg of the itinerary to Greenwood if we would choose to grab lunch as part of the outing. Think about it. I will take my truck most likely if the birch is available for pick-up so I could assist with any large purchases. I think I would probably take Rt 74 (from Carlisle over Waggoners Gap) thru Alinda (good meeting point) and then thru the intersection of Rt 74 (north) and Rt 274 (another possible meeting point) towards Ickesburg. On the return trip, I would take Middle Ridge Road to the tavern if lunch is included as part of the trip and then return thru New Bloomfield, taking Rt 274 East to Rt 34 South in New Bloomfield thru ShermansDale (could meet at my place or TK Family Restaurant along Rt 34 depending on itinerary starting point) and on to Carlisle. That way you can choose either itinerary for any return trips you want to make on your own. Better directions and details later. Let me know how many to expect and if this coming Saturday morning (April 23rd) might be a good time for some of you. I don't mind making multiple trips.

• johnfromperrycopa
    19 years ago

It appears now that afternoon on the 23rd would be a better time to visit Greenwood. If not this coming weekend, perhaps the next. To coordinate trips more efficiently, individuals could email me at jshinskie@pa.net to plan a trip or to obtain directions.

• janepa
    Original Author
    19 years ago

John, I am going to try and make it on the 23rd, but I am not sure because we are getting ready for a sale. I am coming from McAlisterville, and will go by way of Route 322 and exit at Millerstown. I will then take the road to Ickesburg and hope I eventually find Greenwood Nursery.

By the way, would you mind telling me the names of the owners? From a conversation with my brother, I think I might know them.

Thank you. Jane

• johnfromperrycopa
    19 years ago

Jane: It looks like the Carlisle folks and I are going to Greenwood sometime Saturday morning (rain or shine). If you want to be included in the plans at least, send me an email at jshinskie@pa.net and I will include you or any others on the emails later today or early Saturday morning with the details..sounds like it will be a soggy one, but I am game if anyone else is...if you send me a personal email, I will give you my cell phone number in case you decide to join us...if not this time...perhaps next weekend...

• corgilvr
    19 years ago

What a great morning! Thanks, John for all of your time and hospitality. I knew Greenwood would have what I didn't know I needed. We are kicking ourselves for not getting the midnight blue rhodo..... I think I'll go out and divide those iris I got and plant the climbing hydrangeas this afternoon. The sun came out just as we carried our finds into the yard.

• johnfromperrycopa
    19 years ago

Corgilvr: It's always great to meet and make new gardening friends. I'm glad you enjoyed the trip as much as I enjoyed leading the way. I value the sharing of your knowledge of plant and gardening info as well. Sometime you/we need to visit Caperoons Plant Farm in Linglestown. It appears you might need to buy another property to plant all these things you don't need, but just have to buy when you see them. I think it is about the only remedy there is for Spring Fever. I hope the trip helped you work towards a cure. It seems, my fever is chronic though since I can never seem to break it. Watch for George Weigel's column in the Home and Garden section of the Patriot-News on Thursdays (this one or next). He should have a compilation of garden centers and nurseries in the area. I provided some input into that list at his request.

• bluepoppy1
    19 years ago

Hi all...Just checked into this site this spring and see you all are from my neck of the woods....Have any of you ever been over to the amish greenhouses outside of Newville????? They are really something and they have built new ones this year..I haven't been over to see what is in them yet this spring...Have a nice collection of Hostas and some daylilies and lots of other perenials and annuals.........John..where is this new bloom you had talked about around Duncannon??????

• johnfromperrycopa
    19 years ago

I've been to Lurgan's which is really big and I recall a few more outside of Newville. I'm not sure what road they are on..maybe 533 going out of Newville near the Family Practice Center. I have been to that one or is it along Rt 641. They have lots of things and nice selection of roses if I remember. They might be Mennonite vs Amish. I wish I could be more specific. Also, there is a place along Rt 997 off the Blue Mtn exit of the turnpike called Breezy Valley. Two miles south of PA Turnpike. I think I have information that I sent to George Weigel on another email. I will copy it into this forum.

• johnfromperrycopa
    19 years ago

Contents of reply to George Weigel - Garden editor of Patriot-News:

I do believe Cottage Gardens is open. I was there this Spring and her signs are up and I see new offers of pansies for 99 cents a 4-pack...along Rt 34..this young lady advertises..also in the Guide frequently...I can stop by tomorrow and ask her to get in touch...is Lurgan's Greenhouse and Garden Center too far West...it is near Shippensburg and might be in Franklin County...Also Breezy Valley Farm and Greenhouses near Newville...Breezy Valley has lots of hanging baskets...they are along 997.. 2 miles South of PA turnpike, Blue Mountain Interchange... 532-5070 ... and a nice nursery mom and pop nursery with some nice specimen shrubs and trees is Valley View Nursery...180 Firehouse Road. Shippensburg (between Shippensburg and Carlisle, off Rt. 11 & Rt. 174)...530-0159....Mon-Fri 8 - 7, Sat 8-3, closed Wed and Sun...and the list goes on...

Hayfield Gardens - 495 Keystone Way (Rt. 34N outside of New Bloomfield just beyond the Country Curve Restaurant and Juniata Lumber on the left. Look for sign and flag.)
    New Blooms Greenhouse - 11 Hickory Drive, Duncannon
    Directions: From Harrisburg - Take Rt. 11/15 to the Duncannon exit. Turn west on Rt. 274. Follow Rt. 274 for 1.3 miles to Hickory Drive on left. Follow signs. From New Bloomfield - Take Rt. 34 south to Rt. 274 east. Follow Rt. 274 east for about 6 miles to Hickory Drive on the right. Follow signs.

Hope this helps. Look for the list of garden centers in George's column in one of the upcoming Thursday Home and Garden Section.

• coriander
    19 years ago

Jane, John, and everyone,

I am coriander, also from McAlisterville, and also a day lilly lover. I will keep checking this post for everyone's great info.

I planted some "roadside" ones with my purchased varieties, do they interpollinate, or will each one stay true?

Please email me with any local swaps and I also will be glad to pay postage for give aways.

coriander

• johnfromperrycopa
    19 years ago

Here's the name and info of a nice Mom and Pop source for perennials:
    The name of this little place is Spade Away Perennials at 366 S. Middlesex Road, Carlisle. The owner said she has 1000's of plants potted. She said they are there daily (around 8 - 6) and on Sunday (1 - 4). Their number is 258-4239. They've run a small, 1-line ad in the advertising Guide newspaper for years. "Perennials, 258-4239" is all the ad contains.

• sheash
    15 years ago

I have nearly 800 different daylilies, and am in Southern Huntingdon County, near Shade Gap. If you email me (RandSeash@hotmail.com) a list of what you're looking for, I can let you know if I have it and a price. I do an Open House each summer, this year it will be July 5th & 6th.

• rhodyman
    15 years ago

Here is another Pennsylvania Daylily nursery that is in Berks County in the Oley Valley. It is just off Covered Bridge Rd., between Pleasantville and Yellowhouse, across from Glick's greenhouse. They have over 500 different varieties of hybrid daylilies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Manatawny Creek Farm

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio