Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earthlydelights_gw

idle curiosity - flat prices

earthlydelights
19 years ago

when going to a garden center, what is the most you have or will pay for a flat?

supermarkets advertise one price, lowe's/home depot another, produce juntion...all of these are mass-market. however, when at an independent garden center i visited today, they were going for $15.00 and for some reason i thought $15.00 was a little much. maybe because i've sown so many seeds and am waiting on their progress, or because i know i can get them cheaper if i decide to buy this year, or because i can't remember what i paid last year before i became a seed/winter sown junkie, or i thought - you have those seeds, you have dirt, do it yourself and invest that money in something else.

i'm not cheap by any stretch, but am i crazy thinking $15 was too much?

Comments (6)

• luvsgrtdanes
    19 years ago

Earthly, I paid 17$ for a flat of pansies! I know I'm nuts but the colors I just couldn't get anywhere else. Most of the places I go to charge about 13$-15$. Don't mind if it is something different but for the common annuals I agree it's pretty high. If it's rare I've been known to take out a loan!!

• witsend22
    19 years ago

Not sure what the going rate is for retail in your area but I do know the wholesale cost from local producing greenhouses is 7-8 dollars a flat for panzies and violas so maybe one of the small local independent mom and pop nurseries might negotiate prices with you. especially if you are buying a large quantity

• janepa
    19 years ago

I paid $8.27 w/tax retail for a flat of pansies which held six packs (6 in a pack) for a total of 36 plants, at a local Amish garden center. They are a great size, also. Another larger nursery is charging more and theirs only have 4 plants to a pack. The smaller, family owned and family employed nurseries are usually less expensive because their overhead is less, although they are sometimes not as easy to locate.

Usually the area nurseries each have something I want that the other doesn't so they all get my business. : )
    Jane

• skippy05
    19 years ago

Jane,

Aren't you going to share the name & location of the local Amish garden center??!
    Keeping it all to yourself?? lol :)

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    19 years ago

thanks for everyone's information.
    i guess i just couldn't see paying $15.00 for a flat of marigolds. especially since they are one of the easiet to colelct seeds from and plant.

jane, i too would love the name of the amish place. a few years back i got some of the greatest mums from an amish farm stand. the dirt it was planted in was worth what i paid for them! sad part is, i had no clue where i was, wasn't the driver and we were off the beaten path, but come h*ll or high water, i know i could find it again. headed up that way in a few weeks, would love to know the name or location jane, if you have it.

ronnie, i could understand paying that for the pansies. some of them are just spectacular.

i'm trying really hard this year growing by seed. i am just trying to see what i can do and how i can improve each time. i've always been a seed sowing loser, and it was much easier to let someone else grow them and me buy them, but i'm getting better at it.

• janepa
    19 years ago

The place where I got the pansies is called Willow Lane, and another favorite Amish nursery is called Center Perennials. If you are coming from Harrisburg on Rt. 322, you take the Thompsontown exit, take old Rt. 22 south for several miles until you come to the village of Center. It is very small and as you enter Center (don't blink) you take the first road to the right. Travel about another 1/4 mile and there will be a small sign on the left for Center Perennials. It is a gravel road, and winds through the woods, but it is only about another half mile or so. When you come to a fork in the road, take the one on the left. My car knows the way all by itself. : ) If you need better instructions please let me know, and I will try and give you some landmarks. I usually come from McAlisterville 'the back way' through the rolling hills of Juniata Co.
    It is more difficult to guide you to Willow Lane, but it is doable, and I will give it a try if you are interested. I will have to get the route numbers for you - I am better with 'a red barn, a white house with a split rail fence, S turns and the like.

Jane

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio