Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting over - Years later (still with no lawn), help!

Posted by grassless_in_greeley Zone 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 7:57

Tried to sow wildflowers and reaped disaster on the ground 'round the house. We're in the land of rocks and stone uphill from the scenic upper Delaware in Pike County. I want to eradicate what's there (weeds and the stray mixed wildflowers that sprouted), and put in some hardy grass that won't require lots of water. Please chime in with any suggestions. As must be obvious, I know nothing about any of this. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting over - Years later (still with no lawn), help!

So you wanted wildflowers but now you're going to try for lawn? Obviously the lawn will be a lot more work..... would you consider just mowing the weeds and such that you have now and calling it done?
If you mow once about late July you will encourage early wildflowers, discourage bushes and trees, and spread the seed of whatever grasses have bloomed and set seed. Cut once or twice again in the fall to neaten it up for winter. I don't like goldenrod, so the later mowings will help control that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here