Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stimpy926

Roller coaster weather

stimpy926
15 years ago

Back to reality tommorrow....pants, long sleeves...I'm glad, too much heat for me.

I was looking at my journal yesterday at entries from spring 2008:

April 28: 1-1/3" rain, cold front, frost predicted tonight

May 12: 1/2" Rain. Nor'easter. Temps in 40's. TV reports "coldest May since the 1800's"

Comments (8)

• libbyc
    14 years ago

I decided to put some not-too-hard-to-replace plants in containers yesterday, since there doesn't seem to be any frost predicted for the next 10 days. I planted Purple Ruffles basil, bronze fennel, and nasturtium seeds in a large container. I am holding onto the Vietnamese coriander, Thai basil, and lemongrass until Mothers Day. The lemongrass may not make it; the cats love it.

• Pipersville_Carol
    14 years ago

We need rain over here in Bucks. The soil is so dry it looks whitish. Ack.

• sweet_blooms
    14 years ago

WEll it's May 1st., and I'm tired of all this rain. I can't seem to get anything planted here in zone 6 pittsburgh. Has anyone started their veggie gardens yet here in pittsburgh area?

• llangrove
    14 years ago

Re: "Has anyone started their veggie gardens yet here in pittsburgh area?"

Noooo! It's far too wet to plant onion sets. I'm afraid they'll rot. We've had over 2" of rain here in parts of Fayette Co., since yesterday. Dry tomorrow, more rain on Wednesday. I 'need' to be outside!

• woodthrush
    14 years ago

And still more rain for the next 4 days. I'm growing tomatoes
    in big pots.
    Pam

• kr222
    14 years ago

It might be getting into the 30's tonight and tomorrow night. You might want to cover your plants!

• twobigdogs
    14 years ago

kr222, I just saw that weather report, too. 37 tonight, and tomorrow night, the same thing. It's May 17th --- I should be getting my tomatoes in the ground, not firing up the woodstove! Tomatoes are still in the sunny window, and I had to transplant them into bigger containers. Ditto the peppers.

On the upside, it's been a GREAT spring for spinach.

Has anyone checked a farmer's almanac in regard to the weather? Was this cold weather predicted? Just wondering.

PAM - south central PA

• woodthrush
    14 years ago

It's the pits! Right now it's 49 in the Pocono's but they are calling for frost by morning. My friend in Mi says they are expecting mid 20s in some places. What the heck?
    Pam

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022