Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Redbud Tree

Posted by jshob56 SE PA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 1, 05 at 8:21

I promised my better half a redbud tree in the front yard. Any suggestions for sources in or around Lancaster County taking into consideration price and quality? Also, any planting suggestions for this relative neophyte (the last time I planted a tree was 35 years ago with the boy scouts)?

Jack

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Redbud Tree

Oh, you need to seek out the relatively new weeping variety of the native redbud. I believe the variety is Covey. I have my eye on one that was left over from last year at a garden center near Mifflintown, PA. The price is $225 (gulp). But I asked the nursery manager to check to see if he could give me a better price since it was left over from last year (it was worth a try). He said he would do that, but I doubt it will be there when I make my next trip through the area. I promised my wife I would plant one as well. I have a place already picked out for it, near a bed along the road. Only trouble is (gee whiz), there's a Kousa dogwood already planted there. I will move the dogwood to give the weeping dogwood a more prominent place in the landscape.

o

Jack, I bought one at the Lancaster Co Conservation District tree seedling sale 3 years ago. You might want to check the sale out. They have a large selection of tree seedlings, including conifers, hardwoods and native species. It's too late this year to order, but you might want a brochure for next year. Their phone # is 717-299-5361, ex 5.

o

Jack, Watch for "native plant sales" in your area and try your cooperative extension office. Billie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here