Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Times

Posted by PAgrower z6 PA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 19, 05 at 8:23

I am still a bit new to the gardening thing. I just went out and bought $100 worth of perennials and annuals. I planted them all in a full sun area of my garden. Have I planted to early? Am I going to lose them? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Times

Your perennials should be just fine. They may suffer a bit if they weren't properly hardened off, that is gradually introduced to sun, cold, wind of the outdoors if they were always indoors before you bought them. The annuals will have to be protected from temps that go down into the '30's. Your zone could still have a few frosty nights so be prepared to cover them. The ground is still cool and they probably won't grow much till it warms up.

o

The old adage around zone 6 is to plant tender annuals and veggies around Mother's Day.

o

We are expecting some cold nights (30-35F) over the next week or so. What is the best way to protect these plants???

o

I wouldn't worry about the perenials but you could try paper bags or sheets on the annuals.

o

Mother's day? It should be as early as the first of March, but that isn't the case up here. As far as the cold worthless weather, try this if you are able. At my house, we have a basement that has a dual sink for a multipurpose use. The spicket head has a screw on for a hose. Take the hose and adjust the water to a VERY mild temp and warm up the soil that you have planted in. After this, let dry for a few hours or more and cover with a heavy cloth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here