Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lil help here? overwhelmed newbie!!

Posted by freytam NE PA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 4, 05 at 9:27

Ok, Seedlings have taken over the playroom. Next year I'll know that I need to fill my basement with shelves and flourescent lights!

Here's the problem..I've got lots of seeds -some of which should be started inside - according to the "directions - asters, scabiosa, daisy types, hollyhocks, rudbeckia, coneflower, poppie, geranium, lily, baby's breath, allium...some of everything! but I'm out of room.

Here's the question..what's going to happen if I just relax about this and direct sow when the weather's right? just later flowers? or possibly not flower? I'm thinking the perennials should just come back next year better...but how about the annuals? Is there anything from the above list that I should definitely get started asap in order for any blooming to happen? I'd like to do anything possible to be sure that I can learn about where the seeds will be and how to collect on the plants - so I don't want to risk not having this happen.

Any help at all would be appreciated! Thanks so much! Tamra

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lil help here? overwhelmed newbie!!

A lot of those things you can start outside in containers. Check out the WInter Sowing Forum for more info. The coneflowers might bloom for you from seed this year if you get them started soon. Are your poppies annuals or perennials? If they are annuals I'd start them now (outside in a container). I've got some tiny poppy sprouts in the ground already. If they are orientals (perennial) you can start them whenever since they won't bloom the first year anyway. Same with your geraniums. If they are annuals start them right away and if they are perennials they can wait.
Hope that helps a little.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Sowing - sounds crazy but it works

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here