Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peaches20

Moles!

peaches20
19 years ago

I have moles and have noticed quite a few tunnel holes in my garden. I'll try anything even poison. I did try the old dishwashing soap with hotsauce but that didn't work.

Any suggestions on the best way to get rid of them. I'm willing to try anything.

Thanks,

Peaches

Comments (14)

• llangrove
    19 years ago

I know this sounds crazy, but I have an elderly aunt that loves old remedies. She swears that if you stuff a piece of Juicy Fruit gum (NOT chewed) in their burrows, the ground moles will eat the gum and die. I say it's worth a try, before you resort to poison.

• billie_ann
    19 years ago

Peaches, The moles are after the grubs in your soil. Get rid of the grubs and the moles will go to your neighbor. Billie

• Nemesia
    19 years ago

There's a very good article on that very subject on the Ohio State University Ext. -- do a search in Google and it's about the 2nd thing listed.

Scanning the article - "moles main diet is fishingworms & insects." I've heard planting Castor Beans will discourage them as the plant is poisonious. However, the article states "many home remedies prove fruitless, incl. castor beans, spices, etc." The article says "the best solution is trapping them." I've heard old-time gardeners swear by them - I planted two plants last year and where they were planted I will say no digging.. however, when you've acres of lawn well, just how do you control it? Per the article "we humans are invading their territories amongst woodlands." Well, I don't plan on moving so moles be gone, as I was here first!

I've the same problem - my lawn looks like a miniature strip mine in places!

• peaches20
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well I went and bought this stuff from Home depot. Sprinkled pellets in the holes that I found and blocked with a stone. I'm ordering some other stuff for moles and hope it will work. I did order from same company last year to control squirrels. I didn't completely get rid of squirrels, but they no longer ran around in my yard scaring me while I'm gardening.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• witsend22
    19 years ago

I hope its moles you have and not voles. Both can be devistating . one will eats all your worms good or bad types. The other loves those tender young roots on all your new plants. hmm maybe thats where castor beans work as those roots could be toxic to voles. I find a couple of cats running around useful in lowering infestation levels except they like to leave them on my front porch in front of the door as presents. I guess that is better than one cat that left snakes there and another that would leave sparrows on my pillow when I was a kid.

• geoforce
    19 years ago

As was mentioned above, the best way to get rid of moles is to get rid of the grubs. Use some of the bacteriological insecticides (really spores of a pathogen that attacks and kills grubs) and you can generally eleminate 90% or so of them. Once they are mostly gone from your yard, a treatment of the perimeter strip should be enough to keep them out as they won't dig across the grub free strip

George

• BETZ17
    18 years ago

We have an infestation of moles, but only around our pool. I have worked quite hard to attract wildlife and have an NWF habitat certificate. However, this has become a nightmare. Owls and hawks are the main predators of voles,moles and shrews. Providing habitat for the raptors may assist you in rodent control. Nest boxes in grassy areas may attract kestrels and screech owls. There are three species of moles in Pa. We have the hairy-tailed. There are also the Eastern and star nosed. My hawk population is abundant but I see and hear few owls. Perhaps the nocturnal birds are more adept at catching these guys. The red-tail hawk sits on my chicken coop and I urge him to try the poolside dining room. We have captured 5 moles this week using american cheese in mouse traps. Whodda thunk it? Good Luck! Betz

• bulldinkie
    18 years ago

A jack russell would take care of them...

• bigdadz5
    18 years ago

My cat just loves them.And mice too. Leaves them all over the porch.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

Send a few moles my way, my lawn is so compacted I could use a little rodent rottotilling, I'm way too lazy to do it myself..... unless I get to plant flowers after digging up the grass!
    Kato

• rfgpitt
    18 years ago

You could try walking all over thier tunnels. From what I've read they don't like to be bothered and will leave. I put poison from Home Depot all over and a week or two later flattened everything and have had no probs since. Good luck!

• ster1954
    18 years ago

yes i was listening to am radio the other day and they were talking bout moles,voles squirrels etc. how to keep them at bay,plus even get rid of them !!!!!!!oil of peppermint, not extract but oil of peppermint which they said you get at health store. put this on cotton swap and stick it in the holes. they are alergic to it same the juicy fruit!! good for all kinds of critters good luck

• peaches20
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I read an article from Penn State and it stated that moles and voles don't eat grubs but worms and insects.

Unfortunately I'm allergic to cats and dogs so can't take the easy way out.

I've been reading suggestions and will try the juicy fruit gum and peppermint oil. I've only seen one of these creatures out of the corner of my eye while looking out the windows. I didn't see the face, but it was black, small and no tail.

After raking up leaves from winter I've found a bunch more holes in the 3 corners of my back yard. I'll try my poison again and the peppermint oil. It seems more holes keep popping up. But thankfully I've not seen one while gardening -- I think I would freak out.

If that doesn't work, I suppose I'll ahve to resort to traps.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• thepeach
    18 years ago

We have mole holes in our yard too. The other day while we were at Home Depot picking out mole traps and poisons, a lady told us to try using lime in the yard. She said that it worked for her and it was cheap and easy. The theory is that moles do not like lime because it burns their nose. We don't know if it has worked for us yet.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County