Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cgpaytas

Looking for advice

cgpaytas
19 years ago

I'm hoping to get some help from the experts. We recently removed 6 large forsythia (sp) from along the sidewalk to our backyard leaving us fully exposed to traffic and neighbors. Due to township regulations, if we install a privacy fence it would cut our backyard in half on a diagonal line. We decided that would not be acceptable and want to plant a green fence.

We live in Delaware County Pa, the soil is very sandy, very little sun would reach the area, and it's on a decline so when it rains, the area gets a good bit of water. We looked at putting in a staggered row of arborvitae (we need about 18 6-8 ft trees) and were knocked over by the price of $4,000 for material and labor. Which may be a great price, just not what we were expecting. So, my question is does anyone have any alternative suggestions? I would be fine with a combination of trees and shrubs. My main focus is privacy.

Not being very green savvy, I don't even know where to look for alternative ideas. Thanks for your help!

Christina

Comments (7)

• wolfe15136
    19 years ago

Sorry CG. Didn't want you to think I was ignoring you, but I've got no ideas.

• bulldinkie
    19 years ago

all the work weve ever done on both properties we did ourselves.Ive gotten numerous compliments.The grower or store you buy them may give you a discount for buying that many.Plant them yourself.

• janepa
    19 years ago

Do you need them that large now? Wayside and other nurseries are advertising a tree that grows 3-4 foot each year. It looks like a type of fir, can stand shade, average soil, is to have a nice fragrance, and not prone to disease or insects, and it will not have multiple trunks that spread apart like the arbos. sometimes do Check on the Wayside Gardens website if you are interested in learning more, but you need not get them there because I saw them offered elsewhere. I am sorry I don't know the name, but you will know it from their advertising. Also, at this size they would not be difficult to plant yourself.
    Good luck. Jane

• Mykarma
    19 years ago

What about a screen of bamboo? It's fast growing and there are varieties that prefer shade.

• PRO
    Kestrel Shutters & Doors
    19 years ago

There is a weekly plant auction at Zern's Farmers Market in Boyertown where I have seen 6'+ Arborvitae go for $6 a piece. I didn't need any but I was tempted to buy them "just in case". I've had good luck with the few items I have purchased from there. If you're interested I will find out times and such for you.

• SallyT
    19 years ago

How about euynomous (sp)? I pronounce it "you won a mus". I have them all over my yard and take cuttings and just put them in the ground and they root and grow like crazy. There are lots of different types at the nurseries and they are fast growers. I also like them because they stay green during the winter even though they look like a deciduous tree. I have them all over the yard and they were all planted from cuttings from the "Momma" bush. Mine bloom the most wonderful smelling white flowers in late summer and even get little red berries in the winter. Check these shrubs out. Good luck.

• Ina Plassa_travis
    19 years ago

shoulda woulda though of what life would be like without them before you pulled em out, eh?

especially since no, 4K's not unreasonable for decent sized plants and the Guatemalean crew to dig holes for you. sure- you could do it yourself for half that- but the other half would be eaten up in sunburn, callus, and spinal treatments.

Zern's is a great place to find plants.... heck, it's worth an hour in the car just to see the place :)

Sponsored