Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naturenut_pa

SE PA plant swap

naturenut_pa
18 years ago

Creating a new post for more visibility ;-)

I'm hosting a plant swap on Saturday, April 29th. It's a day of sharing, swapping, chatting with other gardeners, getting to finally meet all of the people on gardenweb, give away some divisions and add new stuff to your garden. Located in upper Bucks, right off of route 611. We are also located off of River Road (route 32).

Only 3 more weeks, so if interested, please let me know!

Comments (25)

• Pipersville_Carol
    18 years ago

I'll be bringing Motherwort to the swap. It's a gorgeous tall herb, traditionally used for many remedies (hence the "mother" in its name). Very Deer-resistant and covered with white flowers in early summer.

That's all for now, but more stuff is popping up every day.

• Pipersville_Carol
    18 years ago

Hey, the Western Plant swap folks are a lot more active than us Easterners!

What do you think, naturenut? Do we have enough participants??

• naturenut_pa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

hi carol,
    yes, i had noticed the same thing. i even sent email to the swappers from previous years. i'm going to resort to beating the bushes locally with neighbors and friends.
    i hate to do it...but i think i'm gonna have to take a poll among the respondents to see if they think we have enough participants to continue with it.

it really is a shame that there was such a lack of interest this year :-(

• westhighlandblue
    18 years ago

Most of what I have won't really be ready for swapping at the end of the month. (I have mainly recently potted bareroot extras, like bayberry, highbush granberry, hardy hibiscus, heliopsis). As a result, I had planned on attending the Western Plant Swap, in June. But I realized just how far west it was (5 hours). I am happy to attend the April swap with my "sticks in mud." What do you think about this?

• badzoe
    18 years ago

I might be able to attend (with my 10 month old daughter) your plant swap. What time does it start?

Kristi

• Pipersville_Carol
    18 years ago

Personally, I think the lack of interest is because of the drought and the cold. This has been a really slow spring, at least in my garden.

• naturenut_pa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

westhighlandblue,
    your "sticks in mud" sound just fine. considering how dry it's been, your mud is a very precious commodity! besides, as gardeners we know that the tiniest of sticks or roots can become beautiful plants!

kristi,
    there is an optional potluck at noon, followed by the swap around 1 PM. i've created a web page with more information that i'll post here.

carol,
    surprisingly, the few plants that i do have are doing well. my oriental lilies are going gang-busters. i've divided them repeatedly, but they're like the biblical fishes and loaves! unfortunately we put down a few boxes of wildflower seed and about 120 lbs of grass seed. all this seed sitting on top of dust waiting for the birds :-(

we'd all be thrilled to have more swappers! if you'd like to attend, please let me know. click in my gardenweb profile to send me email.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://home.epix.net/~pdifilip/pswap.html

• westhighlandblue
    18 years ago

I just found out that I have a business appointment at 11:00 on Saturday, April 29. Darn. How early do you hope to start?

• Pipersville_Carol
    18 years ago

I think the potluck is at noon, and the swapping is 1 to 3.

• karbi
    18 years ago

I'm a newbie gardener and only have a couple things to bring. If that's alright let me know what time it starts and directions.
    Thanks.

• zeffyrose
    18 years ago

Matt---This sounds like a great day and I wish I could join you.

I live in Yardley so I'm pretty close.

However ---I recently had back surgery and my gardening will be limited this year.

I wish you a lot of success---sure sounds like it will be a lot of fun.

Florence/zeffyrose

• naturenut_pa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

hi karbi,
    i've updated the web link with the address information. it doesn't matter how much you can bring! it's really about having fun, chatting, sharing gardening experiences.

florence,
    sorry to hear about the surgery! i hope you recover soon so you can spend more time in your garden :-)

matt

Here is a link that might be useful: http://home.epix.net/~pdifilip/pswap.html

• Treehgr
    18 years ago

i may be able to attend, also. i don't have many plants to offer, but i'd like the opportunity to meet other gardeners in the area. I was a garden web addict up to about a year ago--then I had my baby and I really haven't had time to think of gardening until now!

I could probably bring some assorted seeds, spearmint (it's taking over my garden), a lone white phlox, some morning glory seedlings Grandpop Otis var. (heirloom) and perhaps two butterfly bushes that need a lot of TLC!

• kareng
    18 years ago

Hello. I am new to Gardenweb and am very interested in attending the swap. I'm pretty sure that I will be able to attend.

Seeds (Vegetables; Perennial & Annual Flowers)

Live plants: Sedum (Yellow Stonecrop), Creeping thyme (seedlings, keeping my fingers crossed), violet cornuta (seedlings), evening primrose, several types of beans.

I'm sure I'll have other things to add to the above mentioned.

I'm looking for Lemon Thyme, and other groundcover plants, milkweed (the kind with the fat seedpods) and any small to medium size plants that can thrive in our clay PA soil.

Food - I'd like to bring a Fresh Fruit Salad

See you all there.

Karen

• naturenut_pa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks to all for posting, and glad to see more swappers coming on board.
    i'm keeping up with the web page, updating it daily.
    i'm done for today, though *whew*

karen & treehgr,
    looking forward to meeting you!

• Pipersville_Carol
    18 years ago

Wow, I'm so glad I checked out the web page again. I wasn't going to bother bringing monarda this year, but it's on someone's wish list.

And I'm definitely hoping to get some bamboo!

• westhighlandblue
    18 years ago

Carol:

Great! I'll definitely arrive sometime between 1 and 3!

• badzoe
    18 years ago

Ok, here is the abbreviated list of what I am going to bring to the plant swap: ferns (lots), vinca vine, creeping jenny, lamiastrum galeobdolon and may apples. I will probably bring other stuff too. My want list is: centaurea montana, daisy, black eyed susan, echinops ritro, rose campion, agastaches, red penstemon, pulmonaria, blackberry lily and herbs. For food, I was thinking about bringing brownies.

Kristi

• badzoe
    18 years ago

Thanks Matt, for hosting the plant swap today. I enjoyed the company, I ate some delicious food and I brought home some great plants!

I don't remember who brought the Health Salad, but it was great and I would love to have the recipe!

Kristi

• beanmomma
    18 years ago

Matt,

Thanks for hosting a really nice swap! It was a great sunny day (got a little sunburn) and I loved meeting lots of other gardeners.

Your place is lovely!

I look forward to posting from Denmark and to seeing you all again in two years.

Lynn

• naturenut_pa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I would like to thank everybody who attended the plant swap today. I don't know about anybody else, but I just don't get this opportunity outside of gardenweb, to talk for hours about plants and to learn more.

I had a really nice time today also, though I may have eaten too much, and got sunburn on top of my sunburn!
    It really was a treat to talk to everybody today. I think it was the smaller crowd that allowed us all to get to know each other, and made it easier for me to host my first plant swap. It was also the first time that I had met most of you, and I certainly hope to see you all again at future swaps!

Thanks for coming today, Lynn. I know you're pressed for time with so many things to do. Wishing you the best in your adventure. Bring home something interesting for the 2008 plant swap ;-)

• backyardmom
    18 years ago

matt- thanks you for hosting the swap. you and paul have a beautiful yard and home. it was nice to meet everyone.food was good,company was great.
    kristi-leslie made the health salad,i'll get the recipe from her and email it to you.
    lynn- i hope your move is an easy one.
    joan

• westhighlandblue
    17 years ago

Matt:

Your plant swap was so much fun. I really enjoyed meeting every one!

I spent all day Sunday planting my plant swap treasures. I found myself putting the last bit of mulch down at 7:00 p.m. last night!

This is my first Spring in the area. Hopefull, at next year's swap I'll have a great many more things to share.

Anne

• bulbs
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone -

Matt - for hosting the plant swap;

All others for bringing so many goodies (both edibles and plants)- many have been planted, but still a few to go. With a full time job, don't have as much time as I'd like for outdoors, but take advantage of it when I can.

Also in the midst of planting many of my winter-sown seedlings (see the winter sowing thread - it was my intro to Gardenweb 2 years ago). Planted some dianthus Sunday afternoon, and alyssum last evening, along with many others from the swap.

Thanks again for all - it was fun, and neat having faces to go with names here.

• gerry_wyomingpa
    17 years ago

Sounds like a good time was had by all, sorry I had to miss it, but hope to see you all next year. Looking forward to seeing pics also.

If anyone is interested in plants I was going to bring, please E-mail me and we can perhaps arrange a mail trade.

Gerry

Sponsored