Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's your favorite perennial/small shrub?

Posted by demeron Zone 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 10:14

I'm looking for easy, inexpensive, and beautiful plants for an ornamental border outside our community garden. My personal favorite is catmint. What's yours?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's your favorite perennial/small shrub?

Hi,

You should look at the ieta little henry shrub -- it only gets about 2'and gets pretty white spiral flowers and leaves change color in the spring. I've been able to find them at home depot.

Nancy

o

- Purple Smoke Bush - Cotinus coggygria
- Carpet rose bush
- Sambucus Black Beauty & Black Lace
- Peony although they only flower in the Spring they are low maintenance and the leaves are a pretty small bush.
- Clematis Rooguchi - This grows as bush and blooms all summer.

I like colorful bushes that give color vs flowers because they are fleeting.

o

Helleborus, all of them. Thousands of cultivars, all of them my favorites even though I only have 6. Along with being deer proof, you have an ideal plant for the Mid-Atlantic.

Hamamelis vernalis. The fragrant ones will blow your mind. Sweet smelling small yellow flowers in February. A fragrance you can smell a hundred feet away.

Callicarpa americana. Not as showy as its Asian cousin (C. dichotoma), but so dainty it more than makes up for it. Also, the purple on the berries lasts long after the ones on dichotoma have faded.

I have also developed a fondness for Viburnum triloba. A fairly coarse shrub, the panicles of white flowers appear very different when viewed by moonlight. (Those who have it should make a trip outdoors to see it by the light of the moon). The edible red berries hang on just about all winter because they have to ferment or something for the birds to eat them. The red leaves in the fall are not bad either. Humans can eat the berries, (mom made "cranberry" sauce at T-giving with them) you need lots of sugar, and don't smell your hands after you pick them.

o

Sedum are great plants for low care, full sun gardens.
No need to fertilize, the tall ones cut down at the end of the year, does not require too much water once established
So many to pick from - Sedum Angelina is a good pick.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Perennial

o

Fothergilla gardenii for it's 3 season interest of lovely bottlebrush flowers in spring, good looking foliage all summer, and blazing fall colors

Hydrangea quercifolia ditto but add winter peeling bark - best 4 season plant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here