Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flutterbyblue2

Flower question from around Milford PA area

Flutterbyblue2
18 years ago

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone is from the Milford / Dingmans Ferry area to help with a garden question...I am a new member to this board in search of some experienced North PA gardening.

I get alot of mixed answers that scare me a bit about gardening here.I have moved from Vernon NJ which is only 25 min away from where I presently live now and had wonderful gardens with minor losses almost every year which I expected... some Tea roses ....and some perrenials

but most of which I planted like the Flora's and Grand Flora's

wintered well.

Has anyone had success with Roses close to my area? We just built our dream cottage and within a month will have a 8ft deer fence installed around the property (which is a must) the deer are rampant, ...nothing scares or bothers them, but we will deal with that. I am looking to fill my gardens with cottage flowers & and we are planning a rose bed I have purchased bare roots from Chamblees and J&P many are David Austins and a few Floras. Can you tell me if I just threw my $$$$ away or will they survive if properly cared for??? Please any help would be appreciated. On another note my heart and prayers go out to anyone has suffered from the recent rains God Bless!!!!

Donna

Comments (8)

• mwoods
    18 years ago

I',m below you in zone 6b and it looks to me as if you are in probably zone 5 right? You should be fine with your roses if you give them some winter protection. Heck,they grow all kinds of roses in Maine. I'll bet if you asked your question over on the rose forum you'd get all kinds of assurances.

• Flutterbyblue2
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi mWoods yes you were right I am in z/5. I did ask in the rose forum and thats what scared me they said I should stick to bulbs and a few perrenials, but I will try my best to have a rose garden thanks for your help.
    Donna

• sween
    18 years ago

You can do way beyond bulbs and a few perennials in Z5. Honestly, for all its greatness, that is one of the annoying flaws of the internet; opinion often masquerades as hard fact. Whoever says you can grow but a "few perennials" in Z5 is WRONGGGGG. To say that you're limited in this zone is positively absurd. I know several very successful rose gardeners in my immediate neighborhood.

• wolfe15136
    18 years ago

Heck, there are breeders who specialize in cold hardy roses. There are lots of mail order suppliers too. Try Pickering Roses, in Ontario, or High Country Roses, in Utah,

Here is a link that might be useful: High Country Roses

• Flutterbyblue2
    Original Author
    18 years ago

"YEAH!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU ALL!
    DONNA

• zeffyrose
    18 years ago

Hi Donna,
    Don't be afraid of roses. We have a lot of very successful rose growers in very cold areas. In fact the constant snow cover is probably better than the fluctuating temps. we have in my zone.

Keep asking queastions and you should have some great
    roses.

My second DH and I were married in Milford Pa.
    We had a cabin in Pine Flats and went to Milford to be married. It is a lovely area.

Welcome to the Forum.

Florence

• zeffyrose
    18 years ago

Have you checked the Rose Forum and the Rose Gallery and the Antique Rose Forum.

Lots of good advice about roses.

Florence

• katybird_PA
    18 years ago

Hey Flutterbyblue, I am south of you in the Stroudsburg area and probabably half a zone warmer. The deer, poor, rocky soil, and japanese beetles are probably bigger obstacles to growing roses here than the weather. Chose roses carefully. Own root roses will do better than grafted roses, but with proper winter protection even those can be overwintered.
    I don't spray or fuss and need plants that tolerate a certain amount of negelect. Roses I've done well with include Bonica, Knockout, Playgirl, The Fairy, Carefree Wonder, Nearly Wild, Cecile Brunner, and Zephrine Droughin.
    There are an amazing variety of plants that will grow in this area if you are willing to work at it. Don't be too easily discouraged... Deer are the biggest obstacle and you've got already got the fence!

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area