Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katiepgh

growing vegetables in pots

katiepgh
17 years ago

hello all,

i am new to both this board and to gardening, although i used to help my mom in her backyard garden when i was in my teens, so i have some idea of what i'm doing.

i live in an apartment with a large, sunny back porch, and i want to try growing some vegetables and herbs back there. any advice for me? veggies to try, and veggies to avoid? thank you!! i can't wait to get started!

Comments (7)

• caliloo
    17 years ago

Tomatoes and peppers are great in pots! Also, leaf lettuce planted in successive plantings will give you lots of fresh greens for salad.

Also many fresh herbs will do very well - try basil, thyme, parsley, oregano, mint and even rosemary. Rosemary IMHO can be a little finicky in a pot, it absolutely does not like to dry out, but some people are very successful with it.

You also might want to post your question in the COntainer Gardening Forum and or the Vegetable Forum.

Good luck and happy harvesting!

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Gardening

• karen_b
    17 years ago

Katie,
    Both of my dd's container garden on their apartment patios...sometimes successfully sometimes not. When buying plants make sure they are patio versions...they won't grow as big as most of the others. They have been very success full with both tomatoes & peppers, except remembering to water was a problem. You may want to look into selfwatering systems.

All of those herbs grow quite well in containers, just don't over water. And yes Calico is correct rosemary can be finicky in containers. One of my dd's has gone through three rosemary plants before finally giving up.

Unless you get a full 6 hrs of sun expect them to be leggy, but they will still be ok. Give it a try. BTW window boxes are great for herbs & lettuce. Especially the ones you can hang over the patio rail.

Good luck
    Karen

• katiepgh
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thank you for all your help! i'll definitely take your advice-- i'm not expecting much, so i'll be pleased with anything i get!

• Pipersville_Carol
    17 years ago

My sister grew tomatoes in a special water/bag/pot combination one year, and got phenomenal yields. She bought the whole thing at a garden center, it's some kind of patented bag. Looked pretty ugly, but the tomatoes were amazing.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

katiepgh - I have been growing veggies and herbs in containers for the past dozen or so years on my balcony and they turn out great. Definitely give it a try and make sure that you use some good name brand soil for the pots. Try to use a 5 gallon (or 12 - 14" equivalent) as a base smallest size for the veggies and don't forget that you can also use windowboxes or trough containers for herbs.

Enjoy!

• mickimc
    17 years ago

Katie - you'll do great with these suggestions. Actually, my jalapenos did better in a pot than they did in the garden last year. I was able to locate the pot in a brighter place & got tons of peppers.

I have a huge muck bucket that grows chives, marjoram & every year I add a new parsley. It's right outside the front door & handy for cooking!

Good luck,
    Micki

• bixmeister
    14 years ago

For great results growing vegetables check the link:

Here is a link that might be useful: The Garden Patch

Sponsored