Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wrighthouse_gw

nurseries in SW PA

wrighthouse
17 years ago

Can anyone recommend some good sources for trees and perenials in the Pittsburgh region? I'm especially interested in finding a few interesting conifers--ones that will eventually grown large enough to screen my view of the messy neighbors and add variety the Hemlocks, Spruces and White Pines I already have. (I have a very large yard.)

Everyplace I look around the Morgantown area has the same half dozen choices, if that. I tried ordering some conifers from an internet source last year and was very disappointed in the size and quality of what they sent me.

Comments (7)

• bradleyo_gw
    17 years ago

King's in Greensburg, and Plants-n-More in Latrobe are very good, but outside of the city. Chapon's is excellent. It's on Street's Run Rd between Rt.51 and Homestead. The very best place relatively locally that has an excellent selection is Musser Forest which is north of Indiana, Pa. Musser Forest actually mail orders and has a website but I think it expensive for what you get. A trip to the nursery is worth it.

If you are going to make the trip, make a day of it and go to Greensburg, Latrobe and Indiana. Musser Forest is less than 1 hour from Latrobe.

• llangrove
    17 years ago

Musser Forest is a good suggestion. I just ordered from them, very easy.... and helpful and friendly telephone rep!

Have you tried Rich's Farm on PA Route 857 near the village of White House, PA?

• stevie713
    17 years ago

My hobby is (well, WAS until the price of gas went up!) finding new greenhouses to try and here are some of my favorites...

~Martin's Flowers & Shrubs, Rt 51 N. in Belle Vernon, PA. (724) 379-4684. I ALWAYS find something here. I think it is my favorite. They have a nice selection of annuals, perenials, shrubs, trees and water gardening supplies. They have a small garden and gift shop.

~Trax Farm, 528 Trax Road Finleyville, PA 15332 (412) 835-3246 (http://www.traxfarms.com/about.html) You name it, they have it. annuals, perenials, shrubs, trees and water gardening supplies. Garden shop, bake shop, deli, etc.

~Bedner Farm & Greenhouse, 315 Coleman Road,McDonald, PA Cecil Township 724-926-2541(http://www.bednersgreenhouse.com/) I love this place for annuals & perenials. They have wonderful hanging baskets. I am not sure about trees or shrubs.

~Janoski's Farm & Garden Center Janoski's Farm and Greenhouse 1714 State Route 30, Clinton, PA (724) 899-3438 (http://www.janoskis.com/) Good selection of shrubs and perenials. They also have trees, annuals, gift shop, market & bakery and a country Resturant. I think they have a few pond plants also.

~Ianetti's Garden Center 728 Steubenville Pike (Old Route 22)Burgettstown, PA 15021 (724) 729-3500. Lots of trees, shrubs, annuals, perenials, and hanging baskets.

Those are a few of my favorites. There is also a place out near Monroeville towards Plum, but I cant think of it's name. It is very large. I will try to get the name for you.

• wrighthouse
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. I actually visit Rich Farms pretty regularly--my horse lives with a trainer up near Uniontown. That also makes Monroeville and Greenville very convenient. I'm hoping to make a trip up there this weekend although I'm a little concerned that it might be too early in the season. I was at Rich Farms last week and they didn't seem set up of the season yet.

On the other hand, I'd like to get some trees in the ground. Last spring--early June, I think--I ordered some field grown white pines from a local grower (Mt. Zion) and wound up having to wait until then end of August to get them. They said I had to give the spring growth a chance to "harden" before it would be safe to dig them up and move them.

• twoboysformom
    17 years ago

There is a great nursery off of rt 422 between Kittanning and Butler, close to the Mushroom Mines, but on the other side of rt 422. We went there looking last year and it was impressive! I'll look for the name tomorrow. I can't find it online in the yellow pages.

• wrighthouse
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Today I visited the "wholesale" side of Rich Farms, and boy was I impressed. I had stopped by the retail end of the establishment and asked for some Nandina, which a landscaper in Morgantown told me they had. A sales clerk directed me to drive back to the "commercial" nursery.

In addition to the Nandina, I saw some wonderful trees I hadn't seen for sale anywhere else: some gorgeous Austrian pines and Eastern Red Cedars, just to name a few. Problem is: I would need a forklife to plant them. I got a sense that their main customers back there were landscapers wanting big trees to provide immediate gratification for their customers.

I would prefer to start with more manageable--and affordable--sized trees if I can find them, so I will kep looking. But it's nice to know that there is a source if I decide I can shell some big bucks for some big trees.

One thing they didn't have in those five acres was American Holly--not in any size and not for any money. And it seems I'm not the only one requesting it. The manager--or the guy who seemed to be in charge--said he had been trying to find some American holly but had had no luck in obtaining it.

• llangrove
    17 years ago

American Holly? Forget buying it locally! I've looked for two years and no one seems to sell it. A friend had some seedlings in her yard, that I transplanted. I probably won't live long enough to see them grow to maturity. You might try Musser's.

Bradleyo suggested Chapone's nr. Pittsburgh. I went there y'day and the place was fantastic! They had alot of beautiful plants, trees and shrubs at reasonable prices....even for the city! Much cheaper than Martin's in Belle Vernon, where I stopped on the way.

If you're looking for beautiful plants in our "neck of the woods", try Douglas' on PA RT. 21 in Khedive. Always an adventure!