Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of tree to plant

Posted by peaches20 6 PA (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 11:06

Hi,

I'm looking to plant a tree in my front yard. I was looking at flowering trees, but they seem to be a bit messy with fruiting. Any recommendations. Are there any flowering trees that do not fruit? I want to avoid the maple and oak.

Thanks,

Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of tree to plant

Lets start with the most important information that you did not provide. What are the conditions, - sun, shade, wet dry, good soil , poor soil, how much space do you have 10ft - 100ft .
Define what you mean by fruit. Native dogwoods, have flowers and pea sized fruit, usually eaten by birds before they hit the ground. Japanese dogwoods have flowers but the fruit is a little large, like a ping pong ball.
Redbud, Fringe Tree (need a male and fremale to fruit) Magnolia (small bean sized fruit - depending on which one you plant) But the answer to your question will depend on your reply .

o

How about one of the ornamental cherries? They look so pretty right now and are blooming here north of Philly!
Joann

o

Stay away from flowering pear,they destroy themselves..

o

So many to choose from. Yes I agree stay away from bradfod pear. One strong wind will break the branches .
I like the redbud tree , It is only 20x20 and native tree, seems to grow well in most soils. Nancy, hope to hear back.

Here is a link that might be useful: Redbud

This post was edited by plantman56 on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 21:53

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pennsylvania Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here